Graphics card help

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
So my old 570 "broke". One day it froze and kept saying error 42, with a low resolution. I tried everything reinstalling drivers , with no success so i sent it back and they send me a 670 back. The problem is it does the same when i plug this into my motherboard, but its alittle different.

When i plug it in and boot my computer, it displays but has a black border around the actual display even in 1920-1080. When i install the drivers (website and the disc), and reboot the pc, it gets to starting windows and just restarts and keeps doing that, although i can boot into safe mode but still has the border around the display.

Ive just reinstalled windows formatting my hdd with no luck.. so is it my motherboard? or what can i do? I have tried all of the pcie slots on my motharboard.

Thanks

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
It's probably your motherboard. Do you have another computer you can test the card in?

Also, getting a 670 as a replacement to a 570 is an amazing deal lol.

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
i5 3570k
750watt corsair psu
Asus p8z77-v lk

Yeah itd be an amazing deal if itd work :(. But when i sent the graphics card back they have to test it to send me a new one, so maybe this is broken aswell. (its not brand new its been used before, but looks new),

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
and im going to give it a friend to test, but cant until next week and id like to get it working now if i could :(

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
i5 3570k
750watt corsair psu
Asus p8z77-v lk

Yeah itd be an amazing deal if itd work :(. But when i sent the graphics card back they have to test it to send me a new one, so maybe this is broken aswell. (its not brand new its been used before, but looks new),

You need to be a bit more specific on the PSU there. Need to know the product line and/or model number. Also, getting a second card with the same issue is nearly impossible. It's definitely an issue with your system if the exact same thing is happening. Also, is your CPU overclocked?

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
You need to be a bit more specific on the PSU there. Need to know the product line and/or model number. Also, getting a second card with the same issue is nearly impossible. It's definitely an issue with your system if the exact same thing is happening.

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W

Its not the exact same thing, but its pretty close. But how could it be my motherboard when the fans are spinning and ive tried all the pcie slots.

Thanks

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Error 42 basically means duplicate device.

Since you tried with a new 670 and reinstalled windows. Its down to motherboard and PSU. I would guess on motherboard due to the duplicate device error.

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
Error 42 basically means duplicate device.

Since you tried with a new 670 and reinstalled windows. Its down to motherboard and PSU. I would guess on motherboard due to the duplicate device error.

It dosent say error 42 this time, it just completely dosent notice its in here. Although the fans are spinning and the graphics are coming from it (big black border around it though). Ive tried all 3 pcie slots on my mobo, so im not sure it could be. The card is not new, but it looks pretty new.

Also i found the bios updates, is a bios upgrade just 4.34mb? :eek:

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
Yep still doing the same, restarting after "starting windows", when the drivers are installed. What can i possible do? As i cant test this card in a different pc for about a week..

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Nah, but the low resolution isnt the problem its that its not noticing the GPU in the slot.

Ah, and the rebooting thing made that a dumb question... All you can do is test with another PSU or mobo at this point. Those are the only places where the problem can be.

moleybear244

Nov 1, 2013
Ah, and the rebooting thing made that a dumb question... All you can do is test with another PSU or mobo at this point. Those are the only places where the problem can be.

Yeah, but the powersupply has plenty of wattage, and ive tried all 3 pcie slots on my pcie, so i dont see how it could be that.

The graphics card they sent me isnt new and it has some sticky residue looks like someone spilt something on it and they refurbished it. Id rather it be the graphics card, because replacing my mobo will be a pain..

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Does your MB support onboard graphics? if so, see if the PC itself will work properly without the GPU...

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
I'm trying to understand your original post. I got the part that both GPU's seem problematic. But you said they're the same but kind of different.

Can you clarify each GPU's behavior a little better?

Last edited: