Question Graphics Card for new PS System??

kirkdickinson

Oct 22, 2015
I have all the parts here for a “Screaming PS Machine” except for the Graphics card.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
1TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2 (boot and programs)
250 GB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 (Swap-Temp-Cache)
ASRock X570 Taichi Razer
64 GB DDR4 (G.SKILL Ripjaws V 4400)
The programs that I spend the most time in are Photoshop, InDesign, and Dreamweaver. Also use Premiere, Sony Vegas, Illustrator, Corel Draw, and many more, but those are the main power hogs.
I need to order a Graphics card or rob the card out of my previous computer. My old card is a RTX 2070 Super and I paid just less than $600 for it two years ago. Now, that same card cost nearly $1400.
I know that the gamers and bitminers are buying these cards like crazy, the pandemic, inflation, chip shortage, and all that have driven the prices up crazy.
So, are there cards that are more tailored for Photoshop that are not in the highly desired category for gamers and bitminers?
I am thinking I probably need to just rob the old machine of it’s 2070 super and get some cheap card for the old computer which will be repurposed as an office computer instead of a Photoshop computer.
Just exploring my options.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
GPU's do not make a huge difference for Adobe - your 2070 is plenty.

"For Photoshop, it is extremely important to have a supported GPU, but the actual performance of that card will not make a major impact on performance. Compared to the high-end RTX 3090, the much more modest RTX 3070 is within a single percent - even when only looking at GPU accelerated tasks." - pugetsystems

Reactions: kirkdickinson

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'd definitely pull the 2070S forward with those apps as the target.

An older K2200 or M2000 from eBay can give you solid desktop app performance and a little gaming perf in a pinch. From ~$80 - $150.

Or hunt a GTX 950. I've had some luck hitting them around $100 sometimes.

Anything with a big framebuffer (ie, 6GB+) for your productivity apps can mine and therefore... super overpriced. The line on old quadros jumps so hard at that point, plenty of people have been raiding them as a source of GPUs.

Reactions: kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

Oct 22, 2015
I'd definitely pull the 2070S forward with those apps as the target.

An older K2200 or M2000 from eBay can give you solid desktop app performance and a little gaming perf in a pinch. From ~$80 - $150.

Or hunt a GTX 950. I've had some luck hitting them around $100 sometimes.

Anything with a big framebuffer (ie, 6GB+) for your productivity apps can mine and therefore... super overpriced. The line on old quadros jumps so hard at that point, plenty of people have been raiding them as a source of GPUs.

Thanks. I think I have a GTX950 here somewhere that I took out of another computer. I'll look around for it. :)

Reactions: blckgrffn