(GRAPHIC VIDEO) Horrific CAR crash that left 6 dead, 7 injured

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I witnessed a head-on car crash once - while walking along the adjacent pavement (sidewalk, to you, I guess). Late at night, car coming down the hill at extremely excessive speed, suddenly swerved into the oncoming lane and smashed into a car coming the other way. Both cars bounced off sideways and went spinning around over the pavement just ahead of me (fortunate I wasn't walking a bit further ahead of where I was). Airbags went off, guy in the car that was hit started screaming.
Fortunately the ambulance and police arrived amazingly quickly - people in adjacent houses must have called them immediately. I didn't have a clue what to do (didn't even have a phone).

I constantly see the wreckage of car crashes on that road - knocked down garden walls, broken windcreen glass all over the place, demolished traffic lights, wrecked cars being lifted out of the road with a crane. People just see a long straight road and drive like maniacs.

Seems like most of the protection they put in cars is for front-on collisions, meaning it protects the driver of the vehicle that drives into others - the very one likely to be responsible for the collision seems to be the most likely to walk away from it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Seems like most of the protection they put in cars is for front-on collisions, meaning it protects the driver of the vehicle that drives into others - the very one likely to be responsible for the collision seems to be the most likely to walk away from it.

Also it doesn't just "seem" like the DUI drivers that cause/get into horrific accidents are more likely to survive.... they actually are.

This is because they tend to be relaxed when they hit whatever they hit and take less damage from the impact as a result.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Charged with murder.

Also, she has been involved in THIRTEEN prior wrecks. That is some fucked up shit.

Wow. Over here that would be staggeringly rare (charging someone with murder for killing someone with a car). Generally killer-drivers are treated very lightly, no matter how many compounding offenses are involved.

But if she'd had so many previous collisions, why was she still able to drive? Was she also driving without a licence? A lot more needs to be done to keep people like that from having access to motorised vehicles.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Per that article, from the DA, no evidence of alcohol thus far and they certainly would have checked at the hospital. Interesting. "Profound history of mental illness" per her attorney? Many prior accidents? Suicide attempt? Manic? This is just bizarre.

Any evidence of texting? (my first guess)

I'll be shocked if ultimately she wasn't high on something too. (even if its some kind of psych-med)