Graphic Design Vs. Computer Engineering.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I'm faced with a tough decision.

I've been in college a year now and am taking one semester of general ed courses.. so I have one semester to decide what I want to do.

Basically for 7-8 years its been a large hobby of mine to use programs like Photoshop for image editing, and to edit videos with video effects/transitions etc... I've also started to get into adobe after effects and am loving that too.. but am afriad that if I pursue a career in GFX design... I'll be poor... but like my job (hopefully). I've made video projects in high school for all of my presentations, and made documentaries in high school so we could remember our friends.. I love editing films.

On the other hand, I've been building PC's since I was 11..(Im 19) and enjoy that as well. I've had my fair share of tech support calls and can fix many issues with my home built PC. Ive built around 19 computers in that time. I don't know much about PC Engineering except that theres a high demand.. and it pays a lot. Other than that, I fear math and I have a hard time comprehending it. Plus I don't know if I'll enjoy my job..

I'd just like to know what you guys think I should do. I honestly don't even know if my state school has a video graphics/graphic artist degree around here.

Personally I think as long as I own a small house, can afford the essentials and have some extra on the side... for high speed internet, cable, car... etc.. I'll be fine... but can't help but think that graphic design careers wont pay enough for that... kinda like Art.. My aunt's an Art Professor and has 3 masters, 2 B.A's.. and is working on another masters.... and makes the same as my mother who is a respiratory therapist and only went to college for two years.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
building computers and doing entry level IT has nothing to do with computer engineering. Do you like to code? Did you already take engineering math and physics that are required for CE?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Coding was difficult for me... if I went back into programming courses I hope that I'll work it up in me to talk to someone for help because without it I'll be screwed. I wish there was a meeting for the computer programming students where anyone who needed help could network with each other and help each other out but theres nothing like that here. I had tutoring in this as well.. but as soon as I left the room... I didn't understand much more.. mainly because he talked the entire time and there wasn't a computer in the room.

But when I understood it, it sure was satisfying when I got something right ;)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Computer engineering (as I understand it, my bro is CpE and I have a couple friends who are EE) is a cross between computer programming and electrical engineering, to put it simply. There seems to be quite a bit of jobs that either lean one way or the other, or in between. Fixing or building computers has little to do with it... I could do that in early high school and had no idea about software design nor electrical engineering.

As far as the math part, you'll probably have to take a few classes in college (I think I was required to take up to calc II, I was a CS major) if you're CpE but IMO I'm not that great at math and haven't used any of it so far in what programming I've done. But that depends on what sort of work you do exactly.

I'd look up what computer programming and electrical engineering involves, and if you don't like the sound of it as a career, probably wouldn't be too fun going to school for it and then getting a job doing it just because it usually makes good money.

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
You don't have to be the greatest programmer to make it in computer engineering, depending on what your area of emphasis is.

If you take computer engineering, be prepared to take Calc I - III, discrete math, and maybe diff eq and linear algebra.

If you go into VLSI type work, you'd be doing more circuit design than programming.

You might want to look a little more at the digital side of EE as well.

Personally, I'd try to get into an intro object oriented programming class and an intro digital circuits class before making a decision.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: slpaulson
Personally, I'd try to get into an intro object oriented programming class and an intro digital circuits class before making a decision.
I think that's pretty good advice. :thumbsup:

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: clamum
I think that's pretty good advice. :thumbsup:

Particularly because so many people really don't know what computer/electrical engineering or computer science are about. Lots of people who were just in the programs because they like computers take those classes and switch majors.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
None of what you said really has much to do with graphic design. Hopefully that helps.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
I say, go for what you love.

If you love it - you will do good at it.

If you 'are just bleh. . . ' you'll have a miserable life.

Do what you love - everything else will work itself out.

MasterOfKtulu109

May 16, 2006
a lot of people turn their hobbies into careers, then regret it and go back to school when they realize that its fun to do what you love, but making 30k/year for your whole life won't work forever.

i would choose a career and continue a hobby on the side. i like taking pictures, but i didnt turn it into a career; i will have a career and then my hobbies on the side.

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005
Like most people have said before me, assembling computers has very little to do with computer engineering/ EE. The demand for jobs in both fields is pretty good, but with compE, you'll have to write significant amounts of code, unless you lean towards the EE side, which might be more board level/applications engineering. Essentially you'll be taking chips and implementing systems/designs with them. It involves a lot of skill, patience and the ability to debug things quickly. I'm an EE, and I don't think I'd be cut out for it. Most people who do it find it to be a rewarding job, both materially and intellectually, but you have to be passionate about it to do well. Me, personally I'm an Analog IC designer, and my job involves designing those chips. I mostly sit at a computer all day, and use CAD programs. The pay is good, and the work interesteing, but you need to be fairly comfortable with math - esp calculus and complex numbers.

Intro digital can be a little like low level programming, and imo, to be a decent digital designer, you need to know a reasonable amount of DSP- which is very math intensive, especially linear algebra.If you have trouble with programming, I'm not sure if this would be the right field for you.

Given your interest in PC hardware and computers, why not train to become a system admin/ CAD support person for unix/windows? You'd get to tinker with hardware/small scripts all day, you need no (or very little) math. Especially if you can find a niche area for yourself, you can quickly become valuable, and distinguish yourself. For example, the place I work at is desperate for someone competent with Cadence/Unix for cad support (they seem to be rarer than you'd think), and would probably pay well for such a person.

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005
You don't have to be the greatest programmer to make it in computer engineering, depending on what your area of emphasis is.

If you take computer engineering, be prepared to take Calc I - III, discrete math, and maybe diff eq and linear algebra.

If you go into VLSI type work, you'd be doing more circuit design than programming.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is calc III? I thought calc I was usually single variable, and Calc II Multi variable Calculus? A natural extention would seem to make it diff eq, but the fact that you mention it as a separate topic seems to indicate otherwise

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If you are going in now, plan on being top notch, or don't do it. The field is moving towards some serious automation, and there are a lot of mediocre engineers around who may not do as good of a job designing things as some of the computer programs being developed now. Plus a lot of people going into the field in other countries so they can get their H1B visas to come to the US.

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
If you are going in now, plan on being top notch, or don't do it. The field is moving towards some serious automation, and there are a lot of mediocre engineers around who may not do as good of a job designing things as some of the computer programs being developed now. Plus a lot of people going into the field in other countries so they can get their H1B visas to come to the US.

True words - and this is why I mention DSP knowledge being important for modern digital designers - the value addition is starting to lie more and more at the system/architecture stage.

As for the competition from abroad- if you're good, it doesn't really matter. Think of it this way, with the H1B hassle and expenses, it costs employers more money and problems to hire non-US workers. If they could find an equally qualified American citizen, he/she'd be hired in a blink. At least in analog design, most companies face the problem of lack of quality talent - American or otherwise. And no, AFAIK, they don't get paid any less, unlike what some people claim. Maybe its different in programming.

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007
It sounds like VE is not for you. Like people said you will need to learn to code. Also if you aren't good at math you'll probably want to persue graphic design or the equiv. you school offers. Since you say you "fear math" I would strongly recommend you go into graphice design.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Special K
I design CPUs as my job and I will just say that designing CPUs has absolutely nothing in common with building PCs, tinkering with settings, O/Cing, etc. That's not to say you won't like it, but it's just something to keep in mind.

If you declare EE/CompE as a major, you should learn real quick whether you like it or not after taking an introductory circuits class.

Yup. Usually you'll have your first programming class your first semester and maybe a circuits class the 2nd semester. Bottom line is get those done ASAP. If you still like it go for it. Don't waste time on non major related stuff like the undeclared guys always do when they venture around and take things fun. Of course I say this because if you want to switch into any other engineering, you need to be on top of your coursework. If you want to switch to something totally non engineering then you can still take your time like the rest of those slackers.

Originally posted by: darthsidious

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is calc III? I thought calc I was usually single variable, and Calc II Multi variable Calculus? A natural extention would seem to make it diff eq, but the fact that you mention it as a separate topic seems to indicate otherwise

For those of us on a semester system we have 3 semesters of Calculus. At Berkeley it's Math 1A, 1B and 53. 1A is like differentiation, integration. 1B is more integration where you get into taylor series and stuff. 53 is purely multivariable and you do those partial derivatives and stuff and Stokes' Theorem.

I took some classes at a JC too during high school and it's quarter system and you get 4 quarters of Calculus where the end of the 3rd and 4th deal with multivariable. Those JCs have classes that are quite similar to the UCs on the quarter system.

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: Special K
I design CPUs as my job and I will just say that designing CPUs has absolutely nothing in common with building PCs, tinkering with settings, O/Cing, etc. That's not to say you won't like it, but it's just something to keep in mind.

If you declare EE/CompE as a major, you should learn real quick whether you like it or not after taking an introductory circuits class.

Yup. Usually you'll have your first programming class your first semester and maybe a circuits class the 2nd semester. Bottom line is get those done ASAP. If you still like it go for it. Don't waste time on non major related stuff like the undeclared guys always do when they venture around and take things fun. Of course I say this because if you want to switch into any other engineering, you need to be on top of your coursework. If you want to switch to something totally non engineering then you can still take your time like the rest of those slackers.

Originally posted by: darthsidious

For those of us on a semester system we have 3 semesters of Calculus. At Berkeley it's Math 1A, 1B and 53. 1A is like differentiation, integration. 1B is more integration where you get into taylor series and stuff. 53 is purely multivariable and you do those partial derivatives and stuff and Stokes' Theorem.

I took some classes at a JC too during high school and it's quarter system and you get 4 quarters of Calculus where the end of the 3rd and 4th deal with multivariable. Those JCs have classes that are quite similar to the UCs on the quarter system.

Alright, that makes sense; I was just used to a 2 semester calculus system (18.01 and 18.02 at MIT), where the two numbers essentially mark off the separation of single and multi variable calculus.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
I'm faced with a tough decision.

I've been in college a year now and am taking one semester of general ed courses.. so I have one semester to decide what I want to do.

Basically for 7-8 years its been a large hobby of mine to use programs like Photoshop for image editing, and to edit videos with video effects/transitions etc... I've also started to get into adobe after effects and am loving that too.. but am afriad that if I pursue a career in GFX design... I'll be poor... but like my job (hopefully). I've made video projects in high school for all of my presentations, and made documentaries in high school so we could remember our friends.. I love editing films.

On the other hand, I've been building PC's since I was 11..(Im 19) and enjoy that as well. I've had my fair share of tech support calls and can fix many issues with my home built PC. Ive built around 19 computers in that time. I don't know much about PC Engineering except that theres a high demand.. and it pays a lot. Other than that, I fear math and I have a hard time comprehending it. Plus I don't know if I'll enjoy my job..

I'd just like to know what you guys think I should do. I honestly don't even know if my state school has a video graphics/graphic artist degree around here.

Personally I think as long as I own a small house, can afford the essentials and have some extra on the side... for high speed internet, cable, car... etc.. I'll be fine... but can't help but think that graphic design careers wont pay enough for that... kinda like Art.. My aunt's an Art Professor and has 3 masters, 2 B.A's.. and is working on another masters.... and makes the same as my mother who is a respiratory therapist and only went to college for two years.

CE/EE are pretty good career wise - you can do everything from circuit design to consulting, it pays decent money and its easy to move into management if you wish.

The problem is, as others have mentioned, that building PCs is more like playing with Legos than doing CE. Building PCs, and playing around/tweaking is how I got into CE, but that's not enough. You need to be fairly good at math and even more than that, you have to be really interested in how computers work.

Building PCs and such gives you a very superficial picture of how comps work - CPU being the 'brains', RAM being the 'short term memory' etc but it never goes into any details. To give you an idea, I didn't really 'get' what a computer was until the end of 3rd year of CE.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
EE is probably the better route if you're looking into CompE - I went through a similar thing where I came to school for CompE, but decided it wasn't what I wanted to do, working on a CS degree right now.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I don't know a lot about graphic design, but that's what my neighbor does and he makes about 70k. Of course, he's been doing it for about 10 years and has a lot of experience with a number of marketing/advertising/design firms. He's a talented artist who is also good with tech stuff.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Like SpecialK, I also work at a CPU design center as a Computer Engineer. I love this stuff and I've wanted to do it since high school, so it was a no brainer for me. Your OP really makes it sound like you have no clue what you want to do and also no clue what each profession actually does. You should take more intro classes and research it yourself as this is a huge, life altering decision and the paths you have chosen are completely different. This isn't something you will figure out by posting on a forum. Sorry, I'm just being honest.

To be a good engineer, it has to be more than your major; it has to be your lifestyle. Hard work for years, day and night, will get you good grades but good grades only get you the chance to interview (right out of college or for internships anyway). Actually knowing the material is what will get you the job. I don't mean you can solve for eigenvalues or do a convolution integral over the phone - I mean applying what you've learned to something useful. Most jobs don't require you to actually recall everything you learned in college - they do something very specific that is related to and derived from knowledge taught in classes, but the actual application is very far away from anything academic. Also, you can't possibly learn everything you need to know in college to make it just on that. In computer architecture classes, you don't learn how modern CPUs work at an extremely complex level; you start on older, more simplistic models. To make the jump from older -> newer takes more work on your part outside of school, and that is what an interviewer will want to know (if you have done or can do that).

I know nothing about graphic design but I'm sure it takes dedication and hard work to be successful. As will all things, you get out what you put in. If you bust your ass and make it your objective to succeed, you will. If you don't, you won't.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I too had this same Delimma. I went to Georgia Tech for a year, and now am majoring in Film and Television. I decided to do something I love rather than something that pays the bills. Because if you are not happy with your career, you won't be succesful in it. Your overall life wont be as good either.