Graphic Cards: Screen Quality

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
I must say that my VisionTek GF3 is the best graphics card, in both 2d & 3d, I've ever owned.

PotNoodle

May 18, 2001
I think its generally accepted that NVIDIA's 2D is the worst of the lot - certianly at the Pre GF3 era; but a lot this is apparantly due to the quality of components some (or all?) of NVIDIA's board vendors are using.

Opinion is divided on GF3's 2D IQ from what I have seen so far - some saying its the best thing since sliced bread, others still being a little more sceptical of it; I wonder what those who say it is great have been using previously.

This thread at NVNEWS.net is one such thread showing divided opinions - interesting one of the NVNEWs staff chimes in and says that in his opinion the Vtek GF3 not as good as Radoen.

Personnally I have been privy to 3dfx V3 & V5, Vtek GTS and KYRO's (1 & 2) 2D displays close up and would rank them 3dfx - KYRO - Vtek GTS. I have not personally witnessed GF3 or Radeon (although ppl do seem to like Radeons 2D IQ).

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
My rating for 2D visual quality would go...
Matrox G400/G450
3dfx Voodoo 3/4/5
ATi Radeon
NVidia GF 1/2/3

Of the two GF3 cards I've sen thus far neither have seemed to possess appreciably better image quality then the average GF2 card.

pay

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2001
azmist

The Kyro II has better 2D than the Geforce 2/3, but not better than the Radeon's.

Archknight

May 1, 2001
I would rate it Radeon - KyroII - GF2. Haven't seen a GF3 yet so no comment.

Tates do you owned anything other than Nvidia previously, like a V5, Radeon or Matrox? And what you using previously?(Please don't get offended by this question, I just interested to know if your comment is biased or not.)

pen^2

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
i have owned g400, v3 and radeon...
unfortunatley i didnt have this FD trinny back when i was using g400, it looked great on a 14'' (lol). if it was paired up with my current monitor, i assume it would have been fantastic. as for v3 vs radeon, i give a nod to radeon by a slight margin altho i dont run crazy high resolutions, so i never notice 2d quality all taht much

ruther

Jun 15, 2001
When you say(the guys above...) the Radeon has better screen quality than others video cards, this include the Radeon 32MB SDR???

I´m going to buy a video card in the next days, then I have to decide between ATI RADEON 32MB SDR and GEFORCE 2 MX(ASUS V7100 pure)...(This ATI is only 10 dollars more expensive...)

I really would like to buy a Radeon LE, but I live in Brazil, so it´s not easy to find this card...(I had never seen kryo(or krio!) here...

I´ll run Linux(and Windows) too and I know nvidia has the best drivers for Linux, but I thinking to get this Radeon...

Thanks for any help...

pay

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2001
NO! dont get the SDR! It sucks! Get the LE, its much much better :)

newegg.com has the Le's for $70 but I dont know if they ship to Brazil, but you can try!