Grand Theft Auto troubles (Original)

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Felt like playing some classic GTA so I went and DLed it (since it's free now) and everything ran fine. But, that was yesterday. Today I can't get the game to run anywhere near the normal speed. As soon as I hit enter to start the game, it goes into a big sluggish loop and won't stop. It runs about 0.5 fps (just guessing) and slows everything down to hell. I don't know why it's doing this today and not yesterday, but I tried restarting, re-installing and it's still running slow as hell. Looking in the task manager it's only taking up 14k tops, so I don't know why it's lagging so bad. What else can I try?

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Where did you DL it? I don't know what happened to mine but now I've got the urge to play it ;p

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: CKent
Where did you DL it? I don't know what happened to mine but now I've got the urge to play it ;p

Here you are

The game still runs very badly at times and even froze my computer once. It makes no sense. It just doesn't get along with my computer I guess. Setting it to "high priority" in the task manager seems to help a bit.

Wish this game had save states...and an in-game map :p

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Still can't play this game without lots of problems. Which include; major slowdowns at times, and freezing my computer. Other times it runs 100% though. I don't get it. I would understand if I was trying to run some brand new PC game which was a big gfx and memory hog, but this game is more than 10 years old and is only taking up 14mb of space. Switching it's priority in the task manager to high seems to help at times, but not too much. Maybe they just screwed it up when making the freeware version.

Is it working alright for you Ckent or did you ever dl it?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
dang this got buried quick :p

Last bump though. This is just such a weird problem and I want to figure it out. It also disables my keyboard during many parts of the game so I can't even alt tab out of it. Crazy. Annoying as hell when the game stalls and/or freezes up my computer.

I got it from Rockstar's website. I do have the actual game (one of the first games I ever bought :D) but when I put the disk in nothing happens. It's not real scratched up, but my DVD drive kinda sucks.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
The ones you can download are apparently modified from the originals to work with newer operating systems, this is great on rockstars part but that could be whats causing the problem. I downloaded and played GTA II and theyve added some "teleport" feature, when you press the alt key the guy dosent move but the screen does and you can teleport with the numpad or something. Anyways try and get the cd version working in case its one of the new modifications theyve made to the game causing the odd problems.

Also if you havent tried this already mess with the F1-F12 keys, they control the frame rate limiter, resolution and other stuff, see if changing any of those has an effect.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I got the disc to work, and it ran even worse than the downloaded version. WTfark. Guess no old school GTA for me :(

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I've found something else interesting. When turning off the frame limiter the game runs at like 300% speed. Why it runs at about 1% speed with the frame limiter on I don't know. Also something weird is I played for like 30 minutes yesterday where it ran perfectly fine, then tried again later and no surprise, same problems as I've had before. I don't know what the deal is, but i've emailed rockstar. Maybe they'll get back to me.