Announcement Grand Theft Auto 5 Free on Epic

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Thought i should pull this out of MMO section and give it its own thread.
The game is fun, very long single player campaign, the multi player, is well, i really don't like rockstar online so i wont judge on it.

But here it is.... you can thank KMFJD

GTAV is free on Epic Games , their site is under tremendous stress atm though so it might take a couple of tries

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/gtaonline

Link your Social Club and Twitch Prime accounts to get GTA$1,000,000, free access to Pixel Pete's Arcade property, plus exclusive discounts & more!

Note:
It may take some attempts as people have broken Epic Servers trying to grab the game.
Your epic account may also display in a foreign language, and you may have other crazy stuff like missing games in library.
But its all temporary, as i heard the servers are melting and nothing is permanent.

Reactions: KMFJD

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Grab it. I already have it on steam. If I install this on the same pc will it be another copy that I can play or will it require steam as well. I also have the Rockstar launcher where it's tied to steam as well. I would love to be able to install this copy and play with mods without getting banned from rockatar/steam.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Eh, for free I'll grab it. GTA IV didn't do much for me, but fortunately it came with the PS3 I bought so I just sold it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
idk man .. GTA without a controller.
It's like people with controllers tryin' to play Quake - it just ain't right.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
idk man .. GTA without a controller.
It's like people with controllers tryin' to play Quake - it just ain't right.

That's why I've had an XBOX controller for my PC that I've used for years. Batman games, AC games, similar. I even did a playthrough of Witcher 3 on the gamepad after a playthrough KB&M. ...both worked well, I think I preferred gamepad, though.

Anyway, thanks for this. I saw the KMFD thread yesterday and downloaded. I didn't run into too many issues, but install took forever. For some reason, Epic installs absolutely crush my bandwidth, regardless of the actual dl speed. GTA took maybe 4 hours, which is insane, and browsing was abysmal during that time. There is a lot about their client that I just don't like.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I was able to download the game through the Rockstar launcher at more than 200x the speed of Epic's steaming pile. Haven't bought the game, only the Epic freebie.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am downloading it now. My Epic account has been pretty idle since they stopped work on UT4.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I rather summon and make a deal with Baphomet then install the Epic client again. Last time that client broke so bad on me,i couldn't even log damn the thing in. Luckily i got GTA V already from Steam :)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Epic servers can't authenticate any accounts now. Epic has stated they are working on it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
you know what.... %$^&*#$^%$%!!!! the garbage Rockstar client. It failed my e-verify like 5 straight times when trying to create an account, because it tosses up blurry pictures that you can't see, constantly, slowly. one after the other, of "crosswalks" when clearly there aren't crosswalks, just an intersection without an actual crosswalk, but decides it really is a crosswalk, and shadows of objects that we are supposed to agree is the object...what the hell is this garbage?

On top of that, it has refused to save any kind of instance and I've had to go through this thing like 4 times in two days. why the ever-loving-hell do I have to do garbage everify on every new reaunthentication? what kind of turd thought this was acceptable beyond one time account creation?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Epic fail! :D

It's really more of a Rockstar thing. Hell, there's a Reddit thread specifically about their utter garbage launcher with their horsefeces captcha, that you have to re-authenticate at least 2x per day, and apparently it has been a thing for 2+ years now (a lot of new, current attention because of the free week)

[Removed]

It even has memes, it's so bad.

(I know, everything has memes, and everything has a reddit thread...but LET ME DREAM!)

I mean, the damn thing also has to "install" and request approval every single freaking time I do a launch, even the time when I am not forced to authenticate.

Common Zin, you know no profanity in tech forums.
Even tho its not yours, the snippit had profanity.

Lets watch out for ninja addon's like this.

PC Gaming Mod,
Aigomorla

Last edited by a moderator:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I am downloading it now. My Epic account has been pretty idle since they stopped work on UT4.

Still waiting on Unreal 3.

Also, if you werent inclined to play GTA 5 by now I dont see why you would start all of a sudden.
Just so you know it involves a ridiculous amount of grinding and theres an abundance of unskippable story scenes.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Still waiting on Unreal 3.

Also, if you werent inclined to play GTA 5 by now I dont see why you would start all of a sudden.
Just so you know it involves a ridiculous amount of grinding and theres an abundance of unskippable story scenes.
I like grabbing decent games for free. It plays well enough on my system with consistent 60FPS.

Now I also await their next free title.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
oh sorry, didn't see the profanity in the link? I even edited my own post like, 3 times to eliminate it, lol.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I've tried and tried and tried and finally realized a couple installments ago that I don't really like the new GTA franchise at all.

Oddly enough I did enjoy the older top down ones back in the day, but my enjoyment did not survive the transition to 3d.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I haven't really been into GTA at all since San Andreas on PS2... played GTA IV on PC years ago, despite the steep system requirements at the time, and just didn't get that drawn in. I bought GTA V on PS3 in late 2013 (I think) but I didn't get very invested... though I did like the new rendition of Los Santos.

I tried V on PC with a slew of visual and performance mods but ended up uninstalling it. Much like the Witcher III, there's just too much game there for me to ever get to, so that's my main turn off. I'm an adult and have things to do.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
They have Civilization 6 for free on their store as well.

I gotta admit... they're giving away some quality stuff!