GQ ATOTers...Need help shopping for a suit!

fonzinator

Senior member
Nov 5, 2002
953
0
0
Fellas...I need a business suit. I live in Minneapolis so stylish but somewhat conservative is probably my route. What do you suggest? Single or double breasted?, how many buttons?, pinstripe/plain/check?, different wool types?? There's too many choices and I know nothing. I like the look of grey pinstripe or grey check. How much should I be looking to pay? Any suggestions for where to shop? Is Men's Wearhouse an okay place? Thanks! :)
 

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
4,474
0
0
Are there any Outlets shopping malls?

You can usually find good deals there.

Is there Banana Republic near you, there is big sales going on there. I saw this in the Hot Deals forum.
 

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
21,200
9
81
lol, stay away from Men's Wearhouse...do you have a defined budget? I'd suggest single breasted...how tall are you? What type of build? Skin color?

My friend got a CK suit for about $500-600 last year, that thing looks pretty hot...I'd probably look at Hugo Boss, CK...any big male designer should have a decently affordable yet fashionable suit. You won't get much custom tailoring probably, but you should have a good selection of suits that are produced from a proven design.

bah, i need a new suit. :)
 

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
10,483
7
81
As far as single vs. double-breasted, it depends on the body type. I think single breasted looks better 95% of the time, personally.
 

fonzinator

Senior member
Nov 5, 2002
953
0
0
Originally posted by: newbiepcuser
Are there any Outlets shopping malls?
You can usually find good deals there.
Is there Banana Republic near you, there is big sales going on there. I saw this in the Hot Deals forum.
No outlets. I was at BR yesterday and they only had 1 suit on sale. It was some yellow linen thing.

Originally posted by: EvilYoda
lol, stay away from Men's Wearhouse...do you have a defined budget? I'd suggest single breasted...how tall are you? What type of build? Skin color?

My friend got a CK suit for about $500-600 last year, that thing looks pretty hot...I'd probably look at Hugo Boss, CK...any big male designer should have a decently affordable yet fashionable suit. You won't get much custom tailoring probably, but you should have a good selection of suits that are produced from a proven design.

bah, i need a new suit. :)
I definitely don't want to pay $500-600. I was thinking more in the $300 range. I'm 6'2", athletic build, caucasian.
 

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
6,386
1
0
go with shiney purple suit, and dont wear a shirt underneath just a jacket....

you then be stylin
 

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
35,466
3
76
Brooks Brothers makes excellent suits.

a double breasted suit if you are skinny or in between, single breasted if you are a doeboy.
 

fonzinator

Senior member
Nov 5, 2002
953
0
0
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Brooks Brothers makes excellent suits.

a double breasted suit if you are skinny or in between, single breasted if you are a doeboy.
Indeed they do! I checked out their web site...they have some ON SALE for $600!! Ouch. Me = poor.
 

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
62,387
8,154
126
Got a Dillards near you? Great place to shop for a suit. Good selection, and decent prices. Free hemming too.

Got a nice Tommy H. suit for $189 there.
 

I bought a suit for homecoming at the Men's Wearhouse. I didn't have any problems with them. I think the trick is to not be sold up on any of their expensive options. Just buy the suit, get measured, and pick it up in a week. My suit (a nice Chaps by RL black affair) was altered and I even got a shirt and tie and kerchief with it for I think $190 total.

It was a good experience; I'd shop there again, but just make sure to resist the 'salesmanship.'
 

fonzinator

Senior member
Nov 5, 2002
953
0
0
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Got a Dillards near you? Great place to shop for a suit. Good selection, and decent prices. Free hemming too.

Got a nice Tommy H. suit for $189 there.
No Dillards in Minneapolis. Is it a department store?

Originally posted by: jumpr
I bought a suit for homecoming at the Men's Wearhouse. I didn't have any problems with them. I think the trick is to not be sold up on any of their expensive options. Just buy the suit, get measured, and pick it up in a week. My suit (a nice Chaps by RL black affair) was altered and I even got a shirt and tie and kerchief with it for I think $190 total.
It was a good experience; I'd shop there again, but just make sure to resist the 'salesmanship.'
$190?! Dang! What are their expensive options...nicer fabric?
 

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
40,856
311
126
Men's Wearhouse has always treated me very well. Believe it or not my last suit I bought from Dayton's (not sure what it is called now). The lady measured me all up, I picked out a suit and it is a regular Haggar suit but looks pretty good IMO. I believe it was in the 150-200 range
 

Originally posted by: fonzinator
Originally posted by: jumpr
I bought a suit for homecoming at the Men's Wearhouse. I didn't have any problems with them. I think the trick is to not be sold up on any of their expensive options. Just buy the suit, get measured, and pick it up in a week. My suit (a nice Chaps by RL black affair) was altered and I even got a shirt and tie and kerchief with it for I think $190 total.
It was a good experience; I'd shop there again, but just make sure to resist the 'salesmanship.'
$190?! Dang! What are their expensive options...nicer fabric?
I was offered suspender buttons, suspenders, sewing in the handkerchief, shoes for rental, etc. I declined them all and just used my dad's black patent shoes.

The woman measuring me had huge knockers, and she was the one trying to sell me on this stuff, so I think that's how they make their money. :D
 

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
2,197
1
0
The Men's Wearhouse is good. I got a really awesome suit from there last year for $200. I keep getting on complimented on it.

I'd strongly recommend staying away from casual clothing places like Structure (now Express for Men), Banana Republic, etc. Their suits feel and look really cheap. Department stores are good though. Especially Dillards, where they have good sales.

Stay away from Double Breasted suits, unless you want to impress upon them with girth.
 

tokamak

Golden Member
Nov 26, 1999
1,072
0
0
i think your best bet would be a department store. foley's, jcpenney, dillards, etc.

stay away from double breasted. IMO, it makes you look like you belong at the NBA draft or something :p
 

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
12,011
3
0
Macy's is also a good place...almost bought a real nice suit for $300 (1/2 price of retail)
 

bUnMaNGo

Senior member
Feb 9, 2000
964
0
0
Nordstrom's and Macy's are a good place to start... you should be able to get a nice one for about $300 or so.

If you're a label whore like me, Emporio Armani has a yearly winter sale where all of their suits are 40% off. I picked one up for about $450 or so last winter. I also picked up a Versace Classic at this place called Bernini in South Coast Plaza here in OC for about $700.
 

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
15,781
1
71
Double breasted suits are too formal for most occasions and make you look heavier.

Single breasted, navy, grey or black suit will be best.
If you only have one suit, go with black. Then you can wear it to anything.

 

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
35,132
1
81
Macy's is great for sales on suits. They don't have the best designer wares, but you can pick up a very nice Ralph Lauren suit for under $300. I'm sure they'll have sales out the wazoo this weekend, so I'd check them out.
 

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
35,132
1
81
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Double breasted suits are too formal for most occasions and make you look heavier.

Single breasted, navy, grey or black suit will be best.
If you only have one suit, go with black. Then you can wear it to anything.
I disagree. I would never own only a black suit...black is generally considered eveningware.
 

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
25,195
0
56
Another vote for Men's Wearhouse, I got a 2 for $350 deal last year & have been very happy, I've been mistaken for a lawyer X 2 when I've been in court a couple of times.

The judge will start talking to me about what case I'm there for & I just have this dumb look on my face till I realize they think I'm a lawyer:D
 

csf

Banned
Aug 5, 2001
319
0
0
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Double breasted suits are too formal for most occasions and make you look heavier.

Single breasted, navy, grey or black suit will be best.
If you only have one suit, go with black. Then you can wear it to anything.
I disagree. I would never own only a black suit...black is generally considered eveningware.

Agreed. Your first suit should be solid navy, unless you really dislike navy, in which case charcoal is also an option. Not counting tuxedos, I wouldn't buy a black suit until my 4th or 5th suit purchase (I'd go in order like navy, charcoal, then either gray, pinstriped, or another pattern, then black). Black is only really appropriate for funerals or club/eveningwear; wearing it elsewhere will make it look like you're trying to be stylish but don't know what you're doing.

If you really want to get the best quality for your money, you could go out of your way to learn all your measurements (chest, shoulders, sleeves, length of jacket) and try to find something on ebay. If you know what to look for and how to tell what will fit you can clean up on there, whereas $300 or less won't get you much in the real world. Of course, since this is your first suit you should probably just go to a place like Brooks Brothers or Jos. A Bank and ask the salespeople (hopefully they'll have a clue, many don't) to teach you the basics. The suit will be boring, but unfortunately the good stuff starts at about $800-1000 retail (of course you should never pay retail). If you're interested in knowing how to tell a good suit from a cheap one I could give a you a few basic pointers.
 

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
3,952
0
76
Since you're in Minneapolis, its gets pretty cold right? Get a nice wool suit. Go with plain with three buttons. Four is more "in" and two is more traditional imho.

Make sure you feel and look good in it. Get a second opinion bring the gf, mom or dad, or wife along. If you're not comfortable with the suit dont buy it. Try on something else or go to a different place.
 

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
35,466
3
76
Originally posted by: fonzinator
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Brooks Brothers makes excellent suits.

a double breasted suit if you are skinny or in between, single breasted if you are a doeboy.
Indeed they do! I checked out their web site...they have some ON SALE for $600!! Ouch. Me = poor.




Try here
They have a Brooks Bros. Outlet Store