GPU Upgrade Advice? Please!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kleinersaphire

Mar 13, 2013
Gigabyte: Best cooling, Worst OCing
Sapphire: Good Cooling, Good OCing
MSI: Worst Cooling, Best OCing.

In this case, since i'm not planning on doing external cooling for my card, I think I will go with the Sapphire. I'm not looking to push the card to its limits and I like the fact that it will run cool while giving me options. This was a really hard decision..

Thank you everyone for the help! Now to place the order and start thinking about getting all my nVidia drivers gone so I don't have any issues with the AMD.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Gigabyte: Best cooling, Worst OCing
Sapphire: Good Cooling, Good OCing
MSI: Worst Cooling, Best OCing.

In this case, since i'm not planning on doing external cooling for my card, I think I will go with the Sapphire. I'm not looking to push the card to its limits and I like the fact that it will run cool while giving me options. This was a really hard decision..

Thank you everyone for the help! Now to place the order and start thinking about getting all my nVidia drivers gone so I don't have any issues with the AMD.

Enjoy :D

dsmwookie

Oct 26, 2012
I agree with the above except for the MSI. I have no personal experience with it and I believe they just revised it recently so it no longer uses a 7970 PCB (better OCing and heat distribution).

If the card is staying on air, I d probably get the Sapphire. It has an adequate air cooler and isn't voltage locked. It will also hold some nice resale due to this and being a reference board it can use a waterblock if you change your mind down the road.

Btw the card is slightly cheaper at Tiger Direct: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...W5LJdBZSaTv5VQ

Forgot to mention... Open box GPUs are never my friend. The return policy on open box items can be a huge pita and they tend to be missing minor accessories. A lot of times they are returned for a reason due to poor overclocking, someone took it apart to put a water block on it and realized it doesn't fit, etc... Unless it is a crazy deal and you are prepared to deal with the manufacturer for any immediate replacements I d just go new.

Last edited:

Kleinersaphire

Mar 13, 2013
Wookie, awesome, thanks for finding that discount! And even better, I think Discover has TigerDirect on their shopping mall thingy so I can get another 3% off. Score~

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I agree with the above except for the MSI. I have no personal experience with it and I believe they just revised it recently so it no longer uses a 7970 PCB (better OCing and heat distribution).

Yes, one of our active members here just picked one up and received the V1 card. 6+6 pin on the 7950 PCB. He has a ASIC quality of high 60% and is able to achieve 1200/1600+ on 1.2v while staying under 70C. It seems most of the V2 TF3's 6+8 pins cards run higher ASIC 80% + and require less voltage to hit those speeds, but run hotter as well. If that makes any sense. For instance my TF3 on stock voltage of 1.031 would do 1025mhz and hit 72-73c while gaming. Now with a different cooler I am doing 1250mhz @ 1.175. These numbers on the stock cooler would put me into the 90's - ouch- Like you, I think for the OP the Sapphire is the best pick.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Glad Klein and when you get it come back with some numbers.......now; that the money sucking car is fixed; and new TV replaced with another new TV; I can finally turn and look at new card.......:D