News GPU Tweak III latest version has a virus?

36bfonnes

Sep 24, 2014
I just tried to download GPU Tweak III version 1.2.4.1 and the download got blocked and windows detected a Trojan:Win32/Spursint,F!cl

Really? A major company releasing a piece of software that has a virus? I just bought a motherboard from them. I mean it is a beta version, but c'mon Asus.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You're either downloading from a place other than directly from Asus, or Windows Defender is showing a false positive.

I checked it with VirusTotal's and Google's Safe Browsing online scanner, and downloaded it (and then let Bitdefender scan it). It shows no security issues.

36bfonnes

Sep 24, 2014
You're either downloading from a place other than directly from Asus, or Windows Defender is showing a false positive.

I checked it with VirusTotal's and Google's Safe Browsing online scanner, and downloaded it (and then let Bitdefender scan it). It shows no security issues.

I downloaded it from https://www.asus.com/campaign/GPU-Tweak-III/

That virus alert from defender was awfully specific. Are you sure?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I downloaded it from https://www.asus.com/campaign/GPU-Tweak-III/

That virus alert from defender was awfully specific. Are you sure?
Windows Defender is known for usually having the most false positives among scanners.

You can use this, or this to decide for yourself. You can always download the free Bitdefender virus software and use it as well, but I downloaded the zip folder and scanned it, Bitdefender didn't see anything either.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
BTW, here was a FP (false positive) test from September 2020, and Microsoft was 4th to last place in that regard: (https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/false-alarm-test-september-2020/

When you have some free time, take a look at the other tests (particularly the performance impact test in October), and see why you might consider a free antivirus program like Bitdefender, Avast/AVG, etc. over using Windows Defender.

While Windows Defender is good at detecting viruses/malware, there are some downsides to it compared to the other options on the market.

wuhawk

Feb 8, 2022
i had downloaded gpu tweak II from google and malwarebytes labeled it has a trojan dropper

i go to legit asus website and the gputweak II with a verified sha256 hash has more option than the one i had previously and it did not have any viruses

my question to this gpu tweak III is if it is as legit as it claims why doesnt asus.com or asus.ca have it within the support/driver section for gpu tweak to beable to be downloaded and only on a Rog Asus website through google with very little options throughout the website and no redirect to a home page of asus strictly for gpu tweak III it does appear very sketchy that or it is not fully approved by asus?

GPU TWEAK III (asus.com)

Search - Search product page|ASUS Canada
which has gpu tweak and gpu tweak II but no gpu tweak III

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
i had downloaded gpu tweak II from google and malwarebytes labeled it has a trojan dropper

i go to legit asus website and the gputweak II with a verified sha256 hash has more option than the one i had previously and it did not have any viruses

my question to this gpu tweak III is if it is as legit as it claims why doesnt asus.com or asus.ca have it within the support/driver section for gpu tweak to beable to be downloaded and only on a Rog Asus website through google with very little options throughout the website and no redirect to a home page of asus strictly for gpu tweak III it does appear very sketchy that or it is not fully approved by asus?

GPU TWEAK III (asus.com)

Search - Search product page|ASUS Canada
which has gpu tweak and gpu tweak II but no gpu tweak III

Because GPU Tweak III is still in Open Beta as it says at the bottom of your own link that you posted. It’s not being broadly offered nor will it show itself in the recommended driver / support tools. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122482-GPU-Tweak-III

The only stable releases of GPU Tweak are in GPU Tweak II.

wuhawk

Feb 8, 2022
Yeah I realized the beta later on I still prefer the performance of the production version of gpu2 house 3 I find makes some things a little laggy and setting defined fan curves does not kick fans on at set curves or at least does not record it for me