Question GPU takes a while to initialize

blindeagle141

Oct 24, 2022
Just built my system and wanted to check that this is normal. My average boot up time is around 30-45 seconds which i think is crazy but im wondering if there is something wrong? It seems my board gets stuck on the gpu led for about 7-10 seconds then it goes through everything fine.
Video to show you what i mean : Link

All new parts :
Motherboard Asrock z790 sonic
Gpu XFX 7900xtx
Nvme : kingston fury renegade

Stress tested everything and works perfectly fine. But as you can see from the video it just sits on the VGA led for a while. Also the fans spin really fast untill we get to the asork splash screen. Not sure if this is normal etc but its a new build so just really want to know if something is wrong
Thanks

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Maybe the GPU has to train its memory or something. Newer cards come with a lot of memory. In any case I wouldn't worry about it.

blindeagle141

Oct 24, 2022
Maybe the GPU has to train its memory or something. Newer cards come with a lot of memory. In any case I wouldn't worry about it.

Ye it seems to be going down everytime by a second or so, its not so bad i guess, its worth the extra 10 seconds or so for the fps and quality i get :)

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
BTW that is a cool looking board you got there. How do you like it? I am surprised that it comes with 5 x M.2 slots.

blindeagle141

Oct 24, 2022
BTW that is a cool looking board you got there. How do you like it? I am surprised that it comes with 5 x M.2 slots.
Thank you , ye it works like a charm, The boot time has actually gone down now with the latest bios, so it is as people said above, just new stuff that needs some time to work together with drivers. I've only had it for about a week now but cant say anything bad about it, works like a charm :)

Reactions: lopri and Shmee

blindeagle141

Oct 24, 2022
the gpu led getting stuck for 8-10 seconds is not normal and it could be an indication of a problem
here are some generic tips you can follow hope it helps
1. check the gpu drivers : make sure you have the latest drivers for your gpu installed, you can installed the latest driver from the manufacturers website.
2.check for hardware conflicts: make sure all of your hardware components are working fine and there is no conflicts between them.
3.check your bios setting: make sure the settings in bios are correct and optimized for your system.
4. check for malware : make sure your system is free from any malware or trojans as they can also cause slow boot times.
5. check for power supply : make sure your power supply is providing the gpu with enough power , it might be the reason why gpu gets struck.
hope this helps. if none of the work you need to contact support.

Completely normal for it to be stuck, not just me having the problem , YouTubers also like hardware unboxing etc. Just new hardware / Drivers. Should hopefully be fixed in the future :)

blindeagle141

Oct 24, 2022
Not sure, man. Doesn't seem normal. Do you have a spare card to test if this is the graphics card issue or mobo issue? What if in future, it gets stuck and never boots again?

I've had this pc for a month, its just the drivers on it, its just a long boot cyle here are the videos of the tests people did :
Its around the 31 min mark.

Ontop of this i contacted asrock and they confirmed they are working on a new bios update/drivers to fix the boot cycle up. Just new hardware thats the problem :)

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I would say some delay is normal with UEFI w/ or w/o a GPU. My server is running on a z690 and the UEFI delay is noticeable compared to straight BIOS. There are some options you can toggle to make it quicker but, if you need to get into it to boot to something other than what's set you end up having to short the pins to get into the menus again.

It's just something to live with at this point. Eventually things will get better as the board makers release more refined firmware for the boards. My laptop however does boot in ~10 seconds but, it's a different UEFI vendor. Leads me to think on the DIY side there might just be more checks happening before POST and then booting.

Considering the number of releases in such a short time it seems like there's more and more stuff being refined other than just the minor list if things shown on the download description.

1674310452579.png

I skipped a lot of those releases though and jumped from 2.x > 10.x or maybe one of them in between at some point.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
One note: I bought a BioStar open-air mining board with many (physical) PCI-E x16 slots spaced out, directly on board.

It was rather excruciating.

It took nearly 3 minutes to boot up. Like each of the 7 8GB RX 6600 GPUs were each doing a BIOS VRAM memory test or something.