gpu limited

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
At what resolution does the gpu start to take most of the load?
I need a new monitor and my current rig is in my sig.

I want to keep good performance while gaming but I am unsure of what resolution I should go to.I want to keep my current hardware so no video card upgrades.

I dont want to go to 1920x1080 if it is gonna kill my performance.My rig runs cod waw very good at 1280x720 around 90fps avg.Lowest in zombies with flamethrower ripping was 40fps.

I can tell that my gpu isn't really taking alot of the load and the cpu is taking most of it since when there is alot of stuff happening it starts to stress the cpu and my framerate dips down.

SO I guess I am really asking at what resolution does it seem that the gpu starts to take over?

I plan on purchasing the monitor soon and would like to know the answer to this.I will be purchasing after christmas january 2nd will be the day I buy it.
If I know what res to go for I can then pick out what monitor I should get.

Thanks everyone for looking and thanks again if you chimed in with good info

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
I'd say a 22in @ 1680x1050. Do realize that increasing the resolution will not increase your framerates though.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I am not looking for a framerate increase.I am looking to get a bigger monitor without hurting my framerate.
I know the higher I go in the resolution the lower my framerate will go.There has to be a sweet spot for gaming and I think it may be 1680x1050

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Your frame rates will drop regardless. As you go higher more frame rates will drop. At 1680x1050 it still has room to handle games fine with 9800gtx. You can push 1920x1200 but you are in the limits of the 9800gtx at this resolution.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I feel that at the price of the bigger monitors being pretty cheap it would be stupid for me to spend $100 on a 17inch monitor when I can get a 22 inch for $199 or a 24 inch for $299

What about 1920x1080? Will that be too much for my pc?I really only play cod4 and nfsmw.
The only games I will really ever play will be call of duty franchise games and some racing games like NFSMW and I just started NFSMW so I have a long time until I do beat the game.

I just dont wanna get a monitor and have my video card not be up to the task.As long as I can play cod waw with good framerates then I am ok with it.

I have a question about the 1080p monitors.If I were to get a 22inch 1080p monitor would the text be really small? I have heard someone say the text would be small and I dont know if that is true or not.

I wanna watch blu ray movies on the pc also since it will be cheaper to buy a blu ray drive then it is to buy a standalone player for my tv.
So with me intending to watch blu rays do I really need a 1080p monitor or no

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Bman123

At what resolution does the gpu start to take most of the load?
It depends on the game and the settings you play it at. It also depends on the rest of your system, specifically the combination of CPU and GPU you have.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
ok do you guys think that my current rig in sig will be fine with a 1920x1080 monitor playing cod WAW?
I can turn down some of the settings if needed.I have my video card at stock right now since overclocking it at my low 720p res will do nothing to my framerate.
So keep in mind everyone that the clock speeds for my video card are the overclocked stable speeds and my card is a stock right now until I can sue the extra clock speeds.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
If you are comfortable turning somethings off in some games to get playable frame rates you should go for the 24"... It should be fine for the most part long as you turn down or not use AA.

I would upgrade to 24" monitor regardless what my vid card is but that's just me.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I dont mind playing games without AA or AF.I can turn those down to off and not care about it.
I am worried about the size of the text the monitors will have.WHat is the height and width for a 22 and 24inch monitor?

I have a small desk so if I get a big monitor I will have to use a wall mount so it doesn;t seem like I am at a tennis match with my head going back and forth.
I need to find out the size of the 2 monitors so I can make a cardboard cut out and place the cut out where the monitor will be mounted on the wall.

I found a nice wall mount for the monitor also.It tilts up and down,comes out and goes back and it also swivels.Depending on where the stud is in my wall I will be ok with the wall mount since I can manipulate where the monitor is facing.

Well I am gonna try to find the measurements for the monitors now so I can see how big it is actually gonna be.I am coming from a 17inch monitor so this is gonna seem flipping crazy how big the monitrs actually are

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I figure I will get a decent performance boost on a big monitor once I set my overclock.Hopefully my overclock will keep me at a decent fraemrate.

Now said get the 24 inch monitor.Is the 24 inch worth $100 more for 2 inches of screen?
I am thinking not.I will probably get the 22inch 1080p monitor.I am looking for a monitor that has 1 to 1 pixel mapping still

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Bman123
I figure I will get a decent performance boost on a big monitor once I set my overclock.Hopefully my overclock will keep me at a decent fraemrate.

Now said get the 24 inch monitor.Is the 24 inch worth $100 more for 2 inches of screen?
I am thinking not.I will probably get the 22inch 1080p monitor.I am looking for a monitor that has 1 to 1 pixel mapping still

Going from 22 to 24 is more than just a dimensional changer, you jump up from a native res 1680x1050 with the 22 up to 1900 x 1200 with the 24. You can run most of them in, just about, any standard res you want up to the native res - so if your card is dogging you at 1900x1200 then you can back it down in the game menu (as well as a million other settings that let you optimize your framerates).

If you do anything besides gaming, that would include posting here, the 24 gives you more realestate to play with.

So.. yes, it is worth the extra 23% increase in pixels

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
well I gotta wait until the 2nd until I can purchase the monitor.

How do you guys feel about ordering a monitor from new egg with their crappy monitor return policy?

Should I just fork out the extra cash and get one from best buy so if I do have problems it is just a local return

Rich3077

Oct 11, 1999
Not trying to give the egg a bad review because I buy most of my stuff through them.

On Black Friday I bought a 24 inch BenQ monitor, it shipped with 4 bright stuck pixels in a tight group and makes the whole display look really poor. I would rather have a $99 dollar crap monitor than a nice, big monitor with stuck pixels. Its like having a rusted out Cadillac. (worthless)

I will never order an LCD product online again.

I hate Best Buy.. but they do have a good return policy. Good Luck.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Local stores like best buy for monitor would be a good idea. I bought my monitor from newegg and had no dead pixels. But it's really luck of the draw.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
24" is a sweet spot right now IMO. Possibly 26" 1920x1200 as well.

I use one at work and one at home, have for two years. LOVE it.

~MiSfit