GPU hall of fame

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Not even. 9700 > 460 for HoF
I can't see it though 9700 was before my time in the PC realm but I would have to say that GTX 460 is a much better card as far as power, price, cooling, power consumption, noise output, and most important perhaps is it's unreal staying power which adds mountains to it's overall value and is why I must insist on GTX 460 as GPU HOF of all time.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
To sum it up in simpler terms you essentially said the 460 is a better contender because you don't know anything about the other card lol. That's ok though, it's an opinion thread and you're entitled to yours.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
To sum it up in simpler terms you essentially said the 460 is a better contender because you don't know anything about the other card lol. That's ok though, it's an opinion thread and you're entitled to yours.
Or you could explain why you think a 9700 is a better HOF candidate instead of douching out on me and heck I might even agree with you if you communicate your facts and opinions on the 9700 and why it would be a great HOF contender :)

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
There's no need. First it was already explained why by a few people in this thread who nominated it, second, I'm not trying to get you to agree with me. I just think its funny when you say the 460 trumps it then follow it up by saying it was before your time and don't know anything about it. That's like me saying I'm smarter than Einstein because he was before my time and I don't know anything about him.

It's one thing to say "I think 460 is HoF status" it's another to say "I think the 460 is HoF status more so then card X" based on not knowing anything about card X.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
the original voodoo was more influential than the V2. prior to the voodoo they were usually called 3D deccelerators.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
There's no need. First it was already explained why by a few people in this thread who nominated it, second, I'm not trying to get you to agree with me. I just think its funny when you say the 460 trumps it then follow it up by saying it was before your time and don't know anything about it. That's like me saying I'm smarter than Einstein because he was before my time and I don't know anything about him.

It's one thing to say "I think 460 is HoF status" it's another to say "I think the 460 is HoF status more so then card X" based on not knowing anything about card X.
safe to say GTX 460 is an all around much better card respectively for HOF status as compared to the older and more hot and power hungry Ati 9700 although if the 9700 was that card that trumped the nvidias of the time and iit's the 9700 that had better image and texture quality then i might have agreed with you but you still failed to explain your choice and rational in why you picked 9700 for HOF..

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
safe to say GTX 460 is an all around much better card respectively for HOF status as compared to the older and more hot and power hungry Ati 9700 although if the 9700 was that card that trumped the nvidias of the time and iit's the 9700 that had better image and texture quality then i might have agreed with you but you still failed to explain your choice and rational in why you picked 9700 for HOF..

wait what
confused.jpg

if i'm putting together a mount rushmore of graphics cards it's the voodoo, geforce ddr, 9700 pro, and probably nothing else.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion. I disagree based on knowing quite a bit about BOTH cards ;) I'm actually more partial to the 9800 than the 9700

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion. I disagree based on knowing quite a bit about BOTH cards ;) I'm actually more partial to the 9800 than the 9700
See 2002 was before my time I started hard into PC and computer tech in 05/06 when I drop kicked my Xbox out the the door and into the dumpster were it belongs LOL. PC is king ! 6800GS was my first GPU

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

9800 was a derivative of the 9700, so even though the 9800 was the better product (had one myself), it's the 9700 that should be in an HoF, not the derivative product.

See 2002 was before my time I started hard into PC and computer tech in 05/06 when I drop kicked my Xbox out the the door and into the dumpster were it belongs LOL. PC is king ! 6800GS was my first GPU

then you're really just going to have to take literally everyone else's word on it.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
9800 was a derivative of the 9700, so even though the 9800 was the better product (had one myself), it's the 9700 that should be in an HoF, not the derivative product.

then you're really just going to have to take literally everyone else's word on it.
I think I remember reading an old article that stated the Ati 9xxx cards absolutly demolished anything nvidia had at that time in terms of performance and IQ there was no reason to even consider an nvidia card when the 9xxx Ati were around.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I think I remember reading an old article that stated the Ati 9xxx cards absolutly demolished anything nvidia had at that time in terms of performance and IQ there was no reason to even consider an nvidia card when the 9xxx Ati were around.

pretty much. it was also the first ati 3D card that was really well executed, showing that ati could compete (and win) in the market with nvidia.

the voodoo is important because literally everything before that was just absolute junk. the voodoo was a true revolution.

the gf256 (and 3dfx's own mismanagement) made nvidia the premier graphics chip provider (building on the tnt's success), and started us down the line of graphics chips being massive processors in their own right.

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
pretty much. it was also the first ati 3D card that was really well executed, showing that ati could compete (and win) in the market with nvidia.

the voodoo is important because literally everything before that was just absolute junk. the voodoo was a true revolution.

the gf256 (and 3dfx's own mismanagement) made nvidia the premier graphics chip provider (building on the tnt's success), and started us down the line of graphics chips being massive processors in their own right.
Seems like even still today a little bit Radeon/Ati still has a bad wrap with some of the more green inclined PC enthusiasts. I know when I started as a PC gaming/enthusiast in 05 by 06 when I had made my first GPU purchase my friends had me brainwashed that nvidia was my only option for a proper GPU that all changed when I bought a 4890 HD in summer of 09.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
Seems like even still today a little bit Radeon/Ati still has a bad wrap with some of the more green inclined PC enthusiasts. I know when I started as a PC gaming/enthusiast in 05 by 06 when I had made my first GPU purchase my friends had me brainwashed that nvidia was my only option for a proper GPU that all changed when I bought a 4890 HD in summer of 09.

Uh... duh? You could flip the colors and still have a valid statement. It's called fanboyism.

I'm just going to drop in my X1900XT. Some other guy mentioned Oblivion... just yes. Yes. That card served me for four years before I moved on. Cost $400 but spread out over four years... $100 ain't so bad, I guess.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
safe to say GTX 460 is an all around much better card respectively for HOF status as compared to the older and more hot and power hungry Ati 9700

frustrated-254x300.gif

Its so obvious you werent here back then... the 460 is just a nice midrange card like many others... If you wanna go there, the 9500 PRO absolutely kicks the crap out of it, as that was probably the best midrange card of all time, since it could be unlocked to 9700 PRO levels

The 9700 PRO not only destroyed Nvidias current line up (Geforce 4) but also destroyed their FX series which came after, so much so that Nvidia had to rush out a refresh to even compete

One thing people tend to forget is the 9700 was the first card to bring AA to the masses.. Before that, AA always had too much of a performance hit, so going beyond 2x wasnt even an option unless you were playing an old game, but the 9700 handled 4x AA like a champ in the newest games, and it has since become one of the norms of image quality... No one really plays without AA anymore

And thats just the tip of the iceberg for how awesome that card was... Truly the golden days of ATI and AMD, with the 9700 PRO and Athlon XP combo

Plus like I said, its got to be the longest lasting card of all time

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012

Yeah I know, I just remember the 9800 sticking around quite a bit longer than the 9700 did. But yeah I get where you're coming from. I actually still have a fully functional All-in-Womder 9700 Pro and a 9800 Pro. Both "BBA" (Built by ATI)

Last edited:

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
Gordon Freemen said/insists:
and most important perhaps is it's unreal staying power which adds mountains to it's overall value and is why I must insist on GTX 460 as GPU HOF of all time.
The ATi 9700 Pro would be a first round choice in HoF voting.
GTX 460 isn't in the same league and was just one of many decent midrange cards that have come along since then.
Both 8800GT and 8800GTX would come before it let alone HD5870 and HD4850.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
This thread makes me feel like I make good decisions when it comes to video card purchases. Many of the cards with the most nominations are ones I've owned at one point or another.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I would say the 6600gt and 8800gt had a greater impact on the mid-range scene than the 460. Dont know why the 460 should stand out above those.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
If one really thinks about what the G-92 did is this chip provided probably the record for sheer amount of sku's created and did encompass many generations from the 8800 GT to 9800 GX2 to GTS 240 -- from nVidia's flag-ship all the way down to less than 100 dollars. May be an honorable mention as the most flexible architecture for a chip.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
wait what
confused.jpg

if i'm putting together a mount rushmore of graphics cards it's the voodoo, geforce ddr, 9700 pro, and probably nothing else.

8800 GT was a quantum leap as well, no? hell, they just kept re branding that card over and over again, as it was so damn good.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
frustrated-254x300.gif

Its so obvious you werent here back then... the 460 is just a nice midrange card like many others... If you wanna go there, the 9500 PRO absolutely kicks the crap out of it, as that was probably the best midrange card of all time, since it could be unlocked to 9700 PRO levels

The 9700 PRO not only destroyed Nvidias current line up (Geforce 4) but also destroyed their FX series which came after, so much so that Nvidia had to rush out a refresh to even compete

One thing people tend to forget is the 9700 was the first card to bring AA to the masses.. Before that, AA always had too much of a performance hit, so going beyond 2x wasnt even an option unless you were playing an old game, but the 9700 handled 4x AA like a champ in the newest games, and it has since become one of the norms of image quality... No one really plays without AA anymore

And thats just the tip of the iceberg for how awesome that card was... Truly the golden days of ATI and AMD, with the 9700 PRO and Athlon XP combo

Plus like I said, its got to be the longest lasting card of all time

Enjoy these threads as gamers share their memories and views!:)

AA really started bringing awareness with 3dfx, nVidia and ATI in the year 2000. This was a great year for PC gaming as three power houses did bring out their best and one couldn't survive. Gains in AA performance was with the introduction of multi-sampling with the GeForce 3 in 2001 and further enhancements with the GeForce 4 with Accuview.

But what the 9700 Pro did was not only offer incredible AA performance but incredible multi-sampling quality - coupled with an impressive anisotropy that offered nice quality but such a small hit based on angle dependency. Games really didn't have rolling terrain back then so the need for angle invariance wasn't really needed. The product sku provided amazing out-of-the-box quality AA and AF with performance. Combine this with an amazing feature set and robust DirectX 9 performance -- an easy choice as the most impressive GPU ever created for the gamer when compared to the competition. Then add that the product was executed seamlessly -- created such a stir for the ATI and Radeon brand name and cemented ATI and Radeon as a force with gamers. Good times.

yottabit

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2008
I can't see it though 9700 was before my time in the PC realm but I would have to say that GTX 460 is a much better card as far as power, price, cooling, power consumption, noise output, and most important perhaps is it's unreal staying power which adds mountains to it's overall value and is why I must insist on GTX 460 as GPU HOF of all time.

9700 Pro consumes way less power than a GTX 460. It's hard to find the real TDP because it's really before anyone started caring about power consumption, but ATI recommended a 300 W PSU and it only had a floppy connector for auxiliary power. Seeing as how the AGP port can provide 40 W or so, I'm guessing it's max draw was < 75 W

Also, have you seen the heatsink on a 9700 Pro? The card weren't that loud...

I think the 5770 would be a much better argument than the GTX 460 because it's like 70%+ of the performance, and it's been out for WAY longer. But by that logic you should go back to the 48xx series, because those were around even longer and had the same performance (just no DX11)

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I included the 9500pro as an 'honorable mention' because the early models could be fully-unlocked to a 9700pro. That was AMAZING! Those cards were monsters back in the day and Geforce FX was just junk initially. The 6800GT was a pretty good product, but NV was not back in the game fully until the 8800 series.

It's is pretty insane to think that someone who bought a 8800GTX at launch in 2006 STILL can play most games, albeit at reduced IQ. Amazing longevity.