GPU hall of fame

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Color is an interpretation of how your mind interacts with light and most sane minds interpret the sky as blue on a sunny day.

I agree with the first part, the second is calling colour blind people insane is pushing it.

Besides the point that the colour could have been agreed to be called something else like "green". It is a agreed title on by a group of people as people have no better way of describing it.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
I agree with the first part, the second is calling colour blind people insane is pushing it.

Besides the point that the colour could have been agreed to be called something else like "green". It is a agreed title on by a group of people as people have no better way of describing it.
Sky could be many colors of the rainbow blue is a common shade of the sky. Being Color blind is a physical retardation not a sanity issue though I am not an eye doctor or psychologist so I will not try and entertain the notion that I understand the intricacies of just what is "Color Blind" cause I really have no fucking clue about that topic LOL. I also stated ("most" sane minds interpret) and most was the key word.

Stop derailing this thread. -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I understand why console gamers are scared to migrate to PC with all the wannabe "elitist" PC nerds acting the fool

You seem to be missing a rather important detail that console units are sold to the masses under the heading of "it works". This attacts the type of person that would not have looked at PC's as they see them as being complicated. Nothing you do will get any of those people to change as it is their mentality. The same approach is probably through their normal existance as well.

In simple terms, it is the type of person that just wants to have a "on" switch and have the thing work. It is the person that does not know how to check the water/oil level in their car. They just know that when the warning light comes on, to go and see someone that knows about cars.

It is a similar reason as to why there is a iphone vs android split. Each caters to a different mind set.

No matter what you do someone is going to get up set and give a "your a stuck up person" for as simple a reason as I used the correct term for something or knowning the parts that go into making a PC. Those people will never make the jump to something else as they, for lack of a better term, are not willing to learn something new (for what ever reason).

You see a wall blocking access, I see a hurdel that is as low as the person's willingness to learn something new is high.

So I do not call console users "stupid" (or any other similar word), I just consider them happy in their existance. If you want to put words into my mouth over that, then you can make up what ever story about me you want. It just adds to the notion that too many people paint the world as they want to see it.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I think DX10 and Crysis represented the biggest leap in GPUs ever.

Guessing you mean Crysis 2 as Crysis 1 was well before DX10.

As to DX10 and Crysis, it was a crap implementation being tacked on well after the game was released. Putting those two together and calling it a great leap is a large streach of the imaginiation.

Adding a Voodoo 1 and Decent (one of the ealier 3d movment games IIRC) was just stunning. It made wanting to get a 3d card a must have.

Crysis and the DX10 patch? most reviews of it indicated it was a very poorly done hack, adding extra features that made no difference (except less frame rates). In point, breaking up a flat surface into multilpe flat (and parallel) surfaces.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Crysis was hardly even known at the time it released it was largely a sleeper hit and also being a PC exclusive only there was hardly any mainstream advertising

it was hardless a sleeper. I can not access sites that have the information, but the budget was not some small few thousand in advertising.

It is called focused advertising. If you where in the gaming market, you heard about it. Mainstream advertising for games is only a recent thing as games go multi platform.

Focused advertising is also why I have zero idea about what games are comming out on consoles as I do not care to know. Just like I do not know about new cars comming until I watch something like top gear.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Guessing you mean Crysis 2 as Crysis 1 was well before DX10.

As to DX10 and Crysis, it was a crap implementation being tacked on well after the game was released. Putting those two together and calling it a great leap is a large streach of the imaginiation.

Adding a Voodoo 1 and Decent (one of the ealier 3d movment games IIRC) was just stunning. It made wanting to get a 3d card a must have.

Crysis and the DX10 patch? most reviews of it indicated it was a very poorly done hack, adding extra features that made no difference (except less frame rates). In point, breaking up a flat surface into multilpe flat (and parallel) surfaces.
LOL you got Crysis 2 and Crysis 1 mixed up mate cause Crysis 1 was DX10 and PC exclusive from the ground up on day 1 of it's release in fact the original Crysis was one of the games used to promote DX10 and Crysis 2 was the one that had "Patched in" DX11.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I bought my first GPU "6800GS 256mb" we were a small breed back then.

not really a small group. just how much does it cost to develope a dedicated piece of hardware like the geforce 6 range? definitly not a small market for a business to invest money in. And that money would have been raised from selling ealier version GPUs, so needs a even bigger market to be selling to, to support the company's very existance.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
not really a small group. just how much does it cost to develope a dedicated piece of hardware like the geforce 6 range? definitly not a small market for a business to invest money in. And that money would have been raised from selling ealier version GPUs, so needs a even bigger market to be selling to, to support the company's very existance.
Very Very small group compared to consoles LOL your logic fails just like your Crysis argument and how you tried to state that Crysis 1 was not native DX10 LOL.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
LOL you got Crysis 2 and Crysis 1 mixed up mate cause Crysis 1 was DX10 and PC exclusive from the ground up on day 1 of it's release in fact the original Crysis was one of the games used to promote DX10 and Crysis 2 was the one that had "Patched in" DX11.

probably did get the crysis' mixed in terms of DX support, but then even the developers of Crysis 1 intended it for DX9 as no one had DX10 complient cards. That market at the release time was too small to even aim at. which with a check, was about the geforce 8 range for about a year before crysis's release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis#Game_engine

as to being PC exclusive, the xbox 360 might have been the closest console to be able to run the game, but at that point, it was released with 2006 tech which ment it had no chance. Even 2007 era pc's had trouble with crysis 1 at release.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
probably did get the crysis' mixed in terms of DX support, but then even the developers of Crysis 1 intended it for DX9 as no one had DX10 complient cards. That market at the release time was too small to even aim at. which with a check, was about the geforce 8 range for about a year before crysis's release.

as to being PC exclusive, the xbox 360 might have been the closest console to be able to run the game, but at that point, it was released with 2006 tech which ment it had no chance. Even 2007 era pc's had trouble with crysis 1 at release.
8xxx series nvidia cards were the first DX10 cards man and Crysis was the first game to really push DX10 and hardware effects and it was designed by Ceveat Yerli (executive producer) of Crysis 1 with DX10 in mind from the get go. "CryEngine 2 was among the first engines to use the Direct3D 10 (DirectX 10)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis
The only reason the Xbox can run Crysis now in days is because it uses a different engine Cryenegine3 which is what the Xbox version uses is less demanding than the original Cryenegine2 that was used for the PC only original version of Crysis.

Last edited:

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Very Very small group compared to consoles LOL your logic fails just like your Crysis argument and how you tried to state that Crysis 1 was not native DX10 LOL.

how do you want to measure the size of the markets?

xbox 360, release late 2006 to about mid 2010, reported 67.2 million consoles sold.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

Nvidia shipped 33 million GPUs in the first quarter of 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia#Sales_and_market_trends

Hard to say how many of Nvidia units were going into PC's vs other devices but with those numbers, I feel safe in saying PC's are not a "small group".

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
how do you want to measure the size of the markets?

xbox 360, release late 2006 to about mid 2010, reported 67.2 million consoles sold.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

Nvidia shipped 33 million GPUs in the first quarter of 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia#Sales_and_market_trends

Hard to say how many of Nvidia units were going into PC's vs other devices but with those numbers, I feel safe in saying PC's are not a "small group".
Just stop man you are losing this argument I don't want to keep string out your facts for you. My apologies for the miscommunication :) PS how many of them 30million nvidia GPUs were sold in the PS3 ?

Last edited:

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
8xxx series nvidia cards were the first DX10 cards man

love having to quote myself...

which with a check, was about the geforce 8 range for about a year before crysis's release.

"CryEngine 2 was among the first engines to use the Direct3D 10 (DirectX 10)"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis

love the select editing/quoting there. The full line reads

CryEngine 2 was among the first engines to use the Direct3D 10 (DirectX 10) framework of Windows Vista, but was designed primarily to run using DirectX 9, both on Vista and Windows XP.

rather a large but as I read that.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
the 7850 has to get into the hall of fame.. the price/performance is great, and its MUCH better when overclocked! it deserves a place of its own for its price/performance

It's the same price as the equally-performing 6950 which was released 18 months ago. Heck, it's only ~30% faster than the 5850 which released at $259 in September of 2009.
7850 would have to be $50 to be hall of fame.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Just stop man you are losing this argument

really? I tought I was giving facts to your "everyone knows" answers.

PS how many of them 30million nvidia GPUs were sold in the PS3 ?

of the 30 million, no idea, but seeing as PS3 for 2006 to 2012 was 63.9 million, guessing not much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

If going in to count the ps3, might as well add AMD/ATI to the addon GPU market count as well. I think they are number two with similar numbers to nVidia in the descreat units shipped.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Radeon 9700(Could run games for an unbelievable number of years)
Nvidia 8800 series(Incredible staying power)
HD 5850(Debuted at $259 and is still very relevant)
HD 4870(Made AMD competitive with their small die strategy and brought on a price war)

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Radeon 9700(Could run games for an unbelievable number of years)
Nvidia 8800 series(Incredible staying power)
HD 5850(Debuted at $259 and is still very relevant)
HD 4870(Made AMD competitive with their small die strategy and brought on a price war)
GTX 460 trumps them all for ultimate "Hall of famer" GPU IMHO.