GPU hall of fame

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Fact is you've demonstrated a clear and present lack of knowledge in almost every one of your posts. What you call humble everyone else calls wrong.
You and a select group of others are just looking for a fight I will not continue in this manor of communication I state the sky is blue you guys state no it is green, I state I owned an 8800GTX you guys state I didn't, I state Steam PC community is growing and doing well you guys state that it is not, I post a review of GTX 560 (se) and you guys troll harass and try to publicly humiliate me. ect ect ect.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Never said sky is green
Never said you didn't own a 8800 (we don't care)
Never said steam isn't growing. It was about PC gaming as a whole not steam. You brought up steam as a way to prove your point and it was debunked multiple times by multiple people.

Get your facts straight.

Not looking for a fight but tired of the utter bs and misinformation you continue regurgitate.

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Never said sky is green
Never said you didn't own a 8800 (we don't care)
Never said steam isn't growing. It was about PC gaming as a whole not steam. You brought up steam as a way to prove your point and it was debunked multiple times by multiple people.

Get your facts straight.
You debunked nothing as far as the popularity of PC gaming growing since 2006 until current and please stop being jealous cause there a new sheriff in town Jokes :) LOL. Apparently around here a few or more fallacious personal opinions counts as one whole truth.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
You ignoring facts don't mean facts don't exist. Maybe you can try your bag of tricks in a different forum. Your claimed wealth of knowledge and experience clearly is a fraction of most peoples in here. It's no coincidence that you find yourself in these moments on an hourly basis.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
You ignoring facts don't mean facts don't exist. Maybe you can try your bag of tricks in a different forum. Your claimed wealth of knowledge and experience clearly is a fraction of most peoples in here. It's no coincidence that you find yourself in these moments on an hourly basis.
Surrounded by haters I am.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
You and a select group of others are just looking for a fight I will not continue in this manor of communication I state the sky is blue you guys state no it is green, I state I owned an 8800GTX you guys state I didn't, I state Steam PC community is growing and doing well you guys state that it is not, I post a review of GTX 560 (se) and you guys troll harass and try to publicly humiliate me. ect ect ect.

You have yourself to blame, bro. You troll and derail threads everyday. Nobody here cares for that BS.

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012

I liked your review of the 560se its not something that gets any attention and seems to be a worthy budget card. In this thread though you made a silly claim that pre 2006 pc gaming wasn't as popular as it has become since. myst, starcraft, warcraft, Diablo, cod, quake, half life 1&2, everquest, the Sims, doom, c&c, even WoW predate 06' and were all pc exclusives. I fail to see how pc gaming has blossomed since then.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
I liked your review of the 560se its not something that gets any attention and seems to be a worthy budget card. In this thread though you made a silly claim that pre 2006 pc gaming wasn't as popular as it has become since. myst, starcraft, warcraft, Diablo, cod, quake, half life 1&2, everquest, the Sims, doom, c&c, even WoW predate 06' and were all pc exclusives. I fail to see how pc gaming has blossomed since then.
You fail to see PC gaming growing LOL Steam has spread like a plague to Mac OSX and Linux for starters plus there is now Orgins all are very very strong indicators that more and more people than ever are DLing and playing games on there PCs. I still don't see why it's so unfathomable to grasp that since the gaming Industry has grown substantially as a whole since 06 so naturally PC gaming has as well with Steam and Orgins being strong facts and cornerstones. I will also add that just in the MMO genera post WoW which makes up a good portion of all gaming in general and yes most every good MMO is pretty well exclusive to PC.

Last edited:

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Im 12 and what is this?

No amount of facepalm gifs could describe what I feel reading Gordon's posts back to back
I cant believe he actually tried to argue those cards arent the best because the 680 is better... HAS to be a troll, please let it be a troll

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Im 12 and what is this?

No amount of facepalm gifs could describe what I feel reading Gordon's posts back to back
I cant believe he actually tried to argue those cards arent the best because the 680 is better... HAS to be a troll, please let it be a troll
They are "Hall of famer" cards they are no longer the best and even some said the 8800GT was the best when it was not the 8800GTX was the best so stop actin the foo ! LOL

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
1) X700Pro simply because it was the first ever dedicated GPU I bought, and it only cost me $100. I overclocked it to match the 6600GT.

2) X1900XT was just awesome for its time. I remember it dominated in HDR heavy titles like Oblivion. This was my first high end GPU.

3) G92 8800GTS was the first card that let me play Crysis at high settings. Overclocked it also reached GTX performance at $200 less.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This is rather off-topic, but if I were to argue about the "blossoming" of PC gaming, it would probably be in reference to the large popularity of casual games on sites such as Facebook. Regardless of what I think of them, they are technically games, and they are played on a computer (typically).

I know the 8800GTX is a good card, but ugh... my own personal experiences with it left a rather sour taste in my mouth. It cost me over $600, and it never worked properly. Combine what was most likely a hardware issue with nVidia's poor Vista support, and it was pretty bad. One of my more memorable issues was how if I had World of Warcraft open on one monitor, and attempted to open a video on my other monitor, my computer would BSOD instantly. After mentioning my woes once in a comment on DailyTech, a nVidia person got in contact with me, but we were never able to figure out what was wrong. :(

I eventually replaced it with a 4870, and it has been forever banished to the anti-static bag realm! :twisted:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
This is rather off-topic, but if I were to argue about the "blossoming" of PC gaming, it would probably be in reference to the large popularity of casual games on sites such as Facebook. Regardless of what I think of them, they are technically games, and they are played on a computer (typically).

I know the 8800GTX is a good card, but ugh... my own personal experiences with it left a rather sour taste in my mouth. It cost me over $600, and it never worked properly. Combine what was most likely a hardware issue with nVidia's poor Vista support, and it was pretty bad. One of my more memorable issues was how if I had World of Warcraft open on one monitor, and attempted to open a video on my other monitor, my computer would BSOD instantly. After mentioning my woes once in a comment on DailyTech, a nVidia person got in contact with me, but we were never able to figure out what was wrong. :(

I eventually replaced it with a 4870, and it has been forever banished to the anti-static bag realm! :twisted:
You and I share the same stigma with the 8800GTX.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
They are "Hall of famer" cards they are no longer the best and even some said the 8800GT was the best when it was not the 8800GTX was the best so stop actin the foo ! LOL

One may make the claim that the G-92 and the derivative sku's created like the 8800GT was nVidia's finest chip over-all.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
1) X700Pro simply because it was the first ever dedicated GPU I bought, and it only cost me $100. I overclocked it to match the 6600GT.

2) X1900XT was just awesome for its time. I remember it dominated in HDR heavy titles like Oblivion. This was my first high end GPU.

3) G92 8800GTS was the first card that let me play Crysis at high settings. Overclocked it also reached GTX performance at $200 less.

I have a nice gaming memory to share if you don't mind. I had Oblivion and really liked the HDR in Oblivion but the x1900XTX generation also included HDR+AA. I'm a regular at Rage3d and wrote a post on how great it would be to have HDR+AA in Oblivion based on the stronger lighting contrasts created more noticeable aliasing. To my frigg'n delight, the very next day -- ATI introduced an ability to force AA in Oblivion. It was fantastic and enjoyed how excited everyone was. Sorry, your post reminded me of this memory!:)

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Its times like these that i'm glad there is an ignore feature

So far you've established that:

Tessellation is a gimmick
PC gaming is bigger now than it was in Y2K
8800GT was a failure for nvidia

Your batting average isn't so hot

Last edited:

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I'm just going to say that I deserve to be in the GPU hall of Fame since I was the person who named the GeForce line of video cards. Yes, when nVidia had developed their replacement for the Riva line of cards they held a competition to name their next gen card and yours truly submitted "G-Force" which won the competition (eventually getting renamed to GeForce) and a spanking new,then unreleased Quattro card.

It was such a good name that they are still using it, what 14 years later?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I'm just going to say that I deserve to be in the GPU hall of Fame since I was the person who named the GeForce line of video cards. Yes, when nVidia had developed their replacement for the Riva line of cards they held a competition to name their next gen card and yours truly submitted "G-Force" which won the competition (eventually getting renamed to GeForce) and a spanking new,then unreleased Quattro card.

I think I remember that contest. Was that seriously you? Thats cool as hell man, what'd you win for it?

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009

Awesome!:)

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Based on first hand views:

The original Voodoo, which transformed the PC gaming landscape.

The Voodoo5 ... Sadly, this was 3dfx' last product generation, and more of an honorable mention based on the quality of their FSAA.

nVidia 8800 -- One can make the argument the greatest GPU ever built.

between experence and wanting items (was a uni student when the voodoo first came out).

For the voodoo, it gets a place in my mind as a excellent trend setter.

Voodoo4/voodoo 5 are more "honorable mentions" as they did not really take off. That and the entire development team was fired within a week or so of the release. (voodoo 5 was a sli or what ever it was called at the time of the voodoo 4, generally in a 4 way configuration IIRC).

I would also want to add in the TNT range of cards on the grounds it was the first decent 32bit card that did both 2d and 3d well. The affordable tnt2 m64 range also made it affordable for poor uni students to join in as well. But they sort of died given the demand for 16bit high frame rate gaming over pretty 32bit gaming.

Mentioning the Matrox g400/g450 cards from that time with their excellent picture/32bit gaming but they ended up being a "here today/gone tomorrow" card :(

Other cards I found to be excellent for their times was the 6600gt and 8800gt. excellent performance vs others at the time and affordable for mid ranged gamers.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
over a shorter time span then

just pointing out something that strikes me as wrong with this statement.

experencing over a short time does not really help as it would imply not using the cards when they were released and so not using them in normal daily activities.

I find it would be hard to judge a card on a "at the time" level when the better judgement comes from extended hands on with it.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
just pointing out something that strikes me as wrong with this statement.

experencing over a short time does not really help as it would imply not using the cards when they were released and so not using them in normal daily activities.

I find it would be hard to judge a card on a "at the time" level when the better judgement comes from extended hands on with it.
Uh nice job on the quote mining outta context are you done. There should be a rule somewhere that quote mining should be infraction worthy.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
LOL but was there COD MW 2, BLOPS, Skyrim, Batman AC, ect ect ect ect all there was back then was Doom II, Quake II,III, CSS, and a bunch of games nobody knows about because consoles were more popular back then. Is was a relatively small and hardcore group of computer geeks that were messing around with ugly clunky and ridiculous PCs that are a glimmer of the greatness and ease of use that they are today. PC gaming has grown so much in the past 2 years Steam has grown so much and improved so much in the past short while. The only reason PC gaming was on the map in that day was when WoW came out in 2004 LOL.

seriously? want a bigger shovel to dig a bigger hole?

Reading that I feel that you consider PC gaming to only be worth considering (you entered it?) about when the word "Nerd" was considered cool and not a insult as it was 10 years before.

re wow, the only reason it was on the map was because of the followers of the warcraft series. Can I make a assumption you have no idea what I am talking about?

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
seriously? want a bigger shovel to dig a bigger hole?

Reading that I feel that you consider PC gaming to only be worth considering (you entered it?) about when the word "Nerd" was considered cool and not a insult as it was 10 years before.

re wow, the only reason it was on the map was because of the followers of the warcraft series. Can I make a assumption you have no idea what I am talking about?
You done trolling me friend :)