GPU hall of fame

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Based on first hand views:

The original Voodoo, which transformed the PC gaming landscape.

There was an era -- the year 2000 -- where gamers lost a competitor but garnered the modern products brand name. What a year though!

The Voodoo5 -- which transformed titles with the high quality RGSSSAA -- offered gamers an insight on what quality and gaming tool flexibility can mean to the PC experience. Sadly, this was 3dfx' last product generation, and more of an honorable mention based on the quality of their FSAA.

The original Geforce -- Bringing higher levels of texture realism and geometry -- never before seen in a single chip.

The original Radeon -- bringing higher levels of texture realism and geometry and feature rich.

Radeon 9700 Pro -- probably the greatest GPU every built.

Honorable mention: x1900 XTX -- What ATI's brand name delivered -- Features, quality and performance.

nVidia 8800 -- One can make the argument the greatest GPU ever built.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012

There was an era -- the year 2000 -- where gamers lost a competitor but garnered the modern products brand name. What a year though!

The Voodoo5 -- which transformed titles with the high quality RGSSSAA -- offered gamers an insight on what quality and gaming tool flexibility can mean to the PC experience. Sadly, this was 3dfx' last product generation, and more of an honorable mention based on the quality of their FSAA.

The original Geforce -- Bringing higher levels of texture realism and geometry -- never before seen in a single chip.

The original Radeon -- bringing higher levels of texture realism and geometry and feature rich.

Honorable mention: x1900 XTX -- What ATI's brand name delivered -- Features, quality and performance.

LOL there was never the "Greatest GPU" ever they are always getting better.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

This comment is ridiculous. There certainly have been "game changers" in terms of GPU development, everything must take taken in the context of time and performance for that specific era.

The voodoo1 / vooodoo2 changed visual computing as we know it. To downplay that fact is extremely shortsighted. There were others, such as the 8800GT, 9700 pro that pushed performance to ridiculously high levels.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
This comment is ridiculous. There certainly have been "game changers" in terms of GPU development, everything must take taken in the context of time and performance for that specific era.

The voodoo1 / vooodoo2 changed visual computing as we know it. To downplay that fact is extremely shortsighted. There were others, such as the 8800GT, 9700 pro that pushed performance to ridiculously high levels.
To say that an 8800GT is the greatest GPU ever is ridiculous because that is saying it's better than a GTX 680,580,480,570,560,460 LOL

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
To say that an 8800GT is the greatest GPU ever is ridiculous because that is saying it's better than a GTX 680,580,480,570,560,460 LOL

Did you even read what I said? Take it in the context of the era in which it was released.

When the 8800GT was released, it was 3-4 times faster than anything else on the market and had way more features. It is one of the greatest GPUs of all time IN THE CONTEXT OF TIME / ERA.

joshhedge

Nov 19, 2011
I moved from the 9800 Pro straight too two BFG 8800GTX OC2, loved those cards in dual SLI.

Last edited:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009

Some may disagree and the criteria may be innovation and redefining the technology landscape when compared to the competition at the time.

Two GPU's that stand out more than others are the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX -- and probably their respective pinnacles of success when compared to their competition at the time.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Some may disagree and the criteria may be innovation and redefining the technology landscape when compared to the competition at the time.

Two GPU's that stand out more than others are the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX -- and probably their respective pinnacles of success when compared to their competition at the time.
So to put it simply they are "Hall Of Fame" material not "Best GPU ever". I hope we never see the best GPU ever cause that would mean the end. I agree the 8800GTX has a spot in the all time "Hall of Fame" if not for just because it was the forerunner of DX10 but the 8800GT is not even close though.

Last edited:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
The context was Hall of Fame! The best GPU's ever built are the GTX 680 and HD 7970 for the gamer at this time.

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012

you have to be trolling right?

anyway I started this thread and have not yet offered an opinion. my favorite card I ever owned has got to be the GeForce 3 ti500, least favorite is a toss up between the voodoo 5 and hd 3650 DDR2.

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003

anyway I started this thread and have not yet offered an opinion. my favorite card I ever owned has got to be the GeForce 3 ti500, least favorite is a toss up between the voodoo 5 and hd 3650 DDR2.

Yes, he got into an argument here and now he's trolling. GF, please calm down. Your point on PC gaming continuing to be very strong was valid.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
I think the 5850 and the 5870 deserve a spot as they can still compete with modern GPUs and provide decent performance even today at 1080p. Tessellation is the only thing that kills them and in most cases only improves image quality by a small amount.

I bought my 5850 for $180 a year and a half ago and they still go for $100-$120 today.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012

Read my post two up I stated 8800GTX has a spot in the all time GPU "Hall of Fame" "So to put it simply they are "Hall Of Fame" material not "Best GPU ever". I hope we never see the best GPU ever cause that would mean the end. I agree the 8800GTX has a spot in the all time "Hall of Fame" if not for just because it was the forerunner of DX10 but the 8800GT is not even close though." My favorite card/s that I have owned I could never pick just one but my very first Radeon card HD4890 will always be memorable because of how I was lead to believe by my friends and online community that Ati sucked I found it to be the greatest card I had ever owned so much so it was the first card I put into a dual card config of Crossfire. But there are many other great cards out of the 20 GPUs I have owned since 05/06 with I think one crap one I bought years ago from BestBuy/Futershop based on my own noobishness at the time.

titan131

May 4, 2008
Read my post two up I stated 8800GTX has a spot in the all time GPU "Hall of Fame" "So to put it simply they are "Hall Of Fame" material not "Best GPU ever".
To be fair though, no one ever suggested that any of these older cards were the "best GPU ever", they said they were "greatest GPU ever". Quite a big difference between being the greatest and being the best. You know what they say, "the greats come first and the cream of the crop comes after" :p

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
To be fair though, no one ever suggested that any of these older cards were the "best GPU ever", they said they were "greatest GPU ever". Quite a big difference between being the greatest and being the best. You know what they say, "the greats come first and the cream of the crop come after" :p
WOW way to muck it up now you are trying to argue the difference between Greatest & Best would you like me to look up the definitions of both words to clarify this nonsense in dignified LOL.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

Just a few changes:

The original Voodoo/Voodoo2-SLI, which transformed the PC gaming landscape.

Radeon 9700 Pro -- the greatest ATI GPU every built and lasted forever

nVidia 8800 -- the greatest NV GPU ever built and STILL plays most games

AMD 4870x2 - the most affordable and fast dual-GPU to date that stomped almost every game at the time.

Honorable mentions: AMD 5870/9500Pro and GeForce 4 Ti4200

titan131

May 4, 2008
WOW way to muck it up now you are trying to argue the difference between Greatest & Best would you like me to look up the definitions of both words to clarify this nonsense in dignified LOL.
w/e man, but it's pretty obvious that when SirPauly said the 9700pro was the greatest GPU ever made, he didn't mean the best in terms of performance ever made.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012

You started the "mucking up" of this thread. You knew clearly what the poster was eluding to when he said greatest. I know not even you are dense enough to believe he actually thought it was better than a 680 or similar.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
w/e man, but it's pretty obvious that when SirPauly said the 9700pro was the greatest GPU ever made, he didn't mean the best in terms of performance ever made.
"WAS" as in past tense but that is highly subjective and based on opnion not fact cause there were better, faster and higher end GPUs than the 9700pro and 8800GT is all I am respectfully saying.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Read my post two up I stated 8800GTX has a spot in the all time GPU "Hall of Fame" "So to put it simply they are "Hall Of Fame" material not "Best GPU ever"..

Gordon, it's all about context.

One can make the point that the 9700 Pro and 8800 GTX were the pinnacles of success and may be the best GPU's ever created with the context of window of time and competition's offerings.

The 9700 Pro was executed and simply dominated the 5800 series from nvidia and also raised the bar with DirectX 9 functionality, performance, impressive quality AA positioning.

Take the GTX 680 -- does it really dominate the HD 7970?

The 8800 GTX was executed and simply dominated the 2900 series from AMD and also raised the bar with DirectX 10 functionality, performance, impressive anisotropy quality.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
You started the "mucking up" of this thread. You knew clearly what the poster was eluding to when he said greatest. I know not even you are dense enough to believe he actually thought it was better than a 680 or similar.
Fact is I have owned more GPUs and CPUs and other pertinent high end PC components over a shorter time span then most guys here and I have lots of experience & knowledge and I am being humble about it all stop baitng me PLEASE.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Totally disagree on the Voodoo 5 5500, it was an awesome card.

Voodoo 2
Voodoo 5 5500
Radeon 9800 Pro
Radeon 5870

List of the cards I have owned that are Hall of Fame worthy.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Fact is I have owned more GPUs and CPUs and other pertinent high end PC components over a shorter time span then most guys here and I have lots of experience & knowledge and I am being humble about it all stop baitng me PLEASE.

You don't sound so humble about it to me. I still don't understand why you're arguing semantics, 99% of the people joining this thread have an understanding that this discussion is time contextual. Nobody is saying the voodoo 1 is faster than a 680...christ.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012

Fact is you've demonstrated a clear and present lack of knowledge in almost every one of your posts. What you call humble everyone else calls wrong.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
You don't sound so humble about it to me. I still don't understand why you're arguing semantics, 99% of the people joining this thread have an understanding that this discussion is time contextual. Nobody is saying the voodoo 1 is faster than a 680...christ.
Let's put it behinds us and carry on but it's real hard to be humble when I am continually being attacked and baited when I state just for example the sky is blue or Steam community & PC gaming community is growing ect.