GPU hall of fame

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
PC gaming was much more popular back then, not sure what you're talking about.....

Its still popular, but 2000-2006 was a particularly good time since the PC had a TON of exclusives and devs loved the PC.
LOL but was there COD MW 2, BLOPS, Skyrim, Batman AC, ect ect ect ect all there was back then was Doom II, Quake II,III, CSS, and a bunch of games nobody knows about because consoles were more popular back then. Is was a relatively small and hardcore group of computer geeks that were messing around with ugly clunky and ridiculous PCs that are a glimmer of the greatness and ease of use that they are today. PC gaming has grown so much in the past 2 years Steam has grown so much and improved so much in the past short while. The only reason PC gaming was on the map in that day was when WoW came out in 2004 LOL.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Gordon, do yourself a favor and learn from those who actually know what they are talking about Instead of insisting on going the path of ignorance. You're wrong, you're almost always wrong.

Take a hint. When you're always finding yourself in the middle of argument after argument, its not everyone else who's wrong, it's you. This is no exception.

HURRIC4NE

Apr 17, 2012
the 7850 has to get into the hall of fame.. the price/performance is great, and its MUCH better when overclocked! it deserves a place of its own for its price/performance

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Originally Posted by blackened23
PC gaming was much more popular back then, not sure what you're talking about.....
Its still popular, but 2000-2006 was a particularly good time since the PC had a TON of exclusives and devs loved the PC.
Gordon, do yourself a favor and learn from those who actually know what they are talking about Instead of insisting on going the path of ignorance. You're wrong, you're almost always wrong.
Take a hint. When you're always finding yourself in the middle of argument after argument, its not everyone else who's wrong, it's you. This is no exception.
2is, So Steam & PC gaming has not grown since between 2006 - 2012 even though Steam has expanded to Mac and soon to Linux OS and that's not even mentioning Orgins but ok dually noted that you taught me that PC gaming capped and reached it prime player base & popularity back in 2000-2006 LOL.

Last edited:

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Steam growing doesn't mean PC gaming is getting bigger. It means the method we use to get the games is changing. There's a difference. Crysis use to be exclusive then Crytek went multi platform. Battlefield was exclusive, now it's multi platform and PC didn't even get bad company 1. COD use to be exclusive, now it's multiplatform and PC version makes for about 5% of total sales.

Anything else you feel like being wrong about today?

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Steam growing doesn't mean PC gaming is getting bigger. It means the method we use to get the games is changing. There's a difference. Crysis use to be exclusive then Crytek went multi platform. Battlefield was exclusive, now it's multi platform and PC didn't even get bad company 1. COD use to be exclusive, now it's multiplatform and PC version makes for about 5% of total sales.

Anything else you feel like being wrong about today?
It is commonly known that PC gaming has and is growing it would be an ignorant mistake to think that years 2000-2006 were it for PC gaming. Steam would not be expanding if there were no market or interest/Gamers to expand it to.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
So Steam & PC gaming has not grown since between 2006 - 2012 even though Steam has expanded to Mac and soon to Linux OS and that's not even mentioning Orgins but ok dually noted that PC gaming capped and reached it prime player base & popularity back in 2000-2006 LOL.

Operation Flashpoint - 2001
Max Payne - 2001
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind - 2002
Warcraft 3 - 2002
Call of Duty - 2003
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 2003
Halflife 2 - 2004
Rome: Total War - 2004
Guild Wars - 2005
FEAR - 2005
Age of Empires 3 - 2005
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - 2006

...for a start.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Operation Flashpoint - 2001
Max Payne - 2001
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind - 2002
Warcraft 3 - 2002
Call of Duty - 2003
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 2003
Halflife 2 - 2004
Rome: Total War - 2004
Guild Wars - 2005
FEAR - 2005
Age of Empires 3 - 2005
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - 2006

...for a start.
What did it stop at 2006 LOL why are you guys fighting me when I truthfully state Steam is growing. If I stated the sky was blue there would be a few on here that would try and refute LOL.

Last edited:

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
the sky is actually colorless. so is the ocean, it's only the refraction of light beams from the ozone in the atmosphere. and here's the shocker...

colors do not exist. it's the interpretation of light made inside your brain. the world is black and white.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Who cares about steam? Steam was only introduced in 2003, so why is it relevant?
Look up the list of best selling PC games and youll realize the vast majority is pre 2005, more specifically, around 2000~

Its been going downhill ever since, steam or not

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
What did it stop at 2006 LOL why are you guys fighting me when I truthfully state Steam is growing. If I stated the sky was blue there would be a few on here that would try and refute LOL.

Steam is growing because other forms of DRM are intrusive and annoying. People use steam because its almost the only form of DRM that doesn't make you want to punch puppies.

Steam is great but PC game sales aren't what they used to be - PC games still sell well, but not well enough to warrant exclusives like the golden era of PC gaming (around year 2000). Back then console ports to PC were unheard of. PC had its niche and a lot of developers were on board with PC only games.....that doesn't happen very frequently now. Even behemoths like ID software and blizzard are now actively developing for consoles first, because there is more money there.

Part of the reason is that the costs of making video games have skyrocketed, so often the only viable business model is to make games for consoles first (since they're almost guaranteed to sell well) and the PC will get a port - and often the quality of the PC version will suffer due to being a console port.

Last edited:

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
Part of the reason is that the costs of making video games have skyrocketed, so often the only viable business model is to make games for consoles first (since they're almost guaranteed to sell well) and the PC will get a port - and often the quality of the PC version will suffer due to being a console port.

I would say that's the main reason. Production costs are huge now. Maybe piracy plays a part too; back in 2000 broadband wasn't as widespread and bit-torrent didn't exist so it was harder to download games illegally.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
It is commonly known that PC gaming has and is growing it would be an ignorant mistake to think that years 2000-2006 were it for PC gaming. Steam would not be expanding if there were no market or interest/Gamers to expand it to.

So commonly known that on a forum full of PC enthusiasts and gamers, you're being told you're wrong?

You're nothing special Gordon, just because you discovered PC gaming in 05-06 doesn't mean the world followed you there. Baseless speculation like "it's commonly known" doesn't change reality.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I was not overly impressed with my XFX 8800 GTX or my 8800GT or my 9800 GTX+ cause they were LOUD and hot cards and the performance was not all that great however it was all we had when they first came out.
The 8800gtx for a year and a half was unrivaled, people had no real alternatives in its performance envelope, but it wasnt much hotter or louder as any other cards back then. Maybe you have the gtx480 in mind? So you went from a 8800gtx to 8800gt to 9800gtx? A slight downgrade then a slight bump back up, and still no better than 8800gtx in the end? Funny choice of cards.

I think I bought one of them 7800s to replace my 6800GS and it was slower than my 6800GS that it was supposed to replace LOL.
OK, I think that sets the tone in what to expect from you from here on. :D

...to my knowlage and due to my ownership of the 9800GTX+ which is a re branded and "slightly" OCed 8800GTX they sucked and were expensive hot and loud to boot.
The 9800gtx+ was not a rebranded 8800gtx. G92 vs G80. Aside from the die shrink, the mem bus was 256bit vs 384bit and more ROPs. The 8800gts 512mb was the rebranded 9800gtx. I have a feeling you never owned the 8800gtx btw.

Cheers. :D

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012
Gordon I find it odd that you claim pc gaming didn't take off until 06' when you became interested, yet your screen name here is taken from a game that was made before then.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Best-selling games... lol

I always preferred Baldur's Gate to Diablo anyways. Now.... what's AD&D current game, anybody know?

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
the sky is actually colorless. so is the ocean, it's only the refraction of light beams from the ozone in the atmosphere. and here's the shocker...

colors do not exist. it's the interpretation of light made inside your brain. the world is black and white.
Color is an interpretation of how your mind interacts with light and most sane minds interpret the sky as blue on a sunny day.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
So commonly known that on a forum full of PC enthusiasts and gamers, you're being told you're wrong?

You're nothing special Gordon, just because you discovered PC gaming in 05-06 doesn't mean the world followed you there. Baseless speculation like "it's commonly known" doesn't change reality.
Funny now I understand why console gamers are scared to migrate to PC with all the wannabe "elitist" PC nerds acting the fool it's a wonder how PC gaming still even exists. You know when console gamers talk about PC gamers and how they think PC gamer are elitist pompass assess and kinda douchey well I am trying to change that for I think and know that PC is the premiere platform but I still am not sure about the community but there are ass hole anywhere you go so to each there own I presume.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Gordon I find it odd that you claim pc gaming didn't take off until 06' when you became interested, yet your screen name here is taken from a game that was made before then.
Sorry I did not state that at all and what I am suggesting if it was not clear already is that PC gaming has been on a steady incline since it's inception and not peaked at between 2000-2006 like some here are trying to argue. Was PC gaming alive and well between 2000-2006 for sure it was and I wish I was a part of it back then and I would have been but unfortunately I was predisposed in attaining a Journeymen Welding ticket and playing Xbox & PS3 in within those years. Also I grew up on the Nintendo Entertainment System & Sega Master System as a kid because that was what my parents gamed on and that was back before there was Internet and PCs were not in many homes and they sucked and were hard to use at the time anyway :)

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Funny now I understand why console gamers are scared to migrate to PC with all the wannabe "elitist" PC nerds acting the fool it's a wonder how PC gaming still even exists. You know when console gamers talk about PC gamers and how they think PC gamer are elitist pompass assess and kinda douchey well I am trying to change that for I think and know that PC is the premiere platform but I still am not sure about the community but there are ass hole anywhere you go so to each there own I presume.

double-facepalm.jpg

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
The 8800gtx for a year and a half was unrivaled, people had no real alternatives in its performance envelope, but it wasnt much hotter or louder as any other cards back then. Maybe you have the gtx480 in mind? So you went from a 8800gtx to 8800gt to 9800gtx? A slight downgrade then a slight bump back up, and still no better than 8800gtx in the end? Funny choice of cards.

OK, I think that sets the tone in what to expect from you from here on. :D

The 9800gtx+ was not a rebranded 8800gtx. G92 vs G80. Aside from the die shrink, the mem bus was 256bit vs 384bit and more ROPs. The 8800gts 512mb was the rebranded 9800gtx. I have a feeling you never owned the 8800gtx btw.

Cheers. :D
Yup PRE Orderd an XFX 8800 GTX back in 06 :) why are you jealous man stop being stupid and get to work and then you to can "have it all" instead of picking on people that worked there asses off for a living & there 8800 GTX and feeling sorry for yourself :) I sold the 8800GTX and my Xbox 360 to my friend for $700 whom had a highly OCed C2D on water but he also wanted an Xbox 360 for what I don't know LOL. Then I went back onto my first GPU which was an 6800GS 256mb as in interim then I bought an 8800GT then came the 9800GTX+ shortly after that.