GPU hall of fame

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
AMD and nvidia have a lock on the market and we will never see any other real competition unless that competition is in part owned by AMD or nvidia which is a real dam shame IMHO.

Intel has a shot of getting in the game at some point I think. They don't even have to make something that's technically as good as what AMD/Nvidia have, because they have the fab process advantage.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Intel has a shot of getting in the game at some point I think. They don't even have to make something that's technically as good as what AMD/Nvidia have, because they have the fab process advantage.

When it comes to integrated/SOC yes, they have a very good chance and in fact, will compete. When it comes to discrete chips, not a chance. Not so much because they can't, I'm sure with their resources they can come up with something if they really wanted to, but because they don't really want to.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
LOL Intel is already is in the game it's called nvidia.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
LOL Intel is already is in the game it's called nvidia.

You mean the company they told to F-off by saying "you aren't allowed to create any chipsets or integrated GPU's for our processors anymore"? you somehow think they're affiliated?

Intel effectively drove nVidia out of the chipset business.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
You mean the company they told to F-off by saying "you aren't allowed to create any chipsets or integrated GPU's for our processors anymore"? you somehow think they're affiliated?
What you mean there is no more nvidia Intel chipset laptops ?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
What you mean there is no more nvidia Intel chipset laptops ?

There are laptops with nVidia GPU's but only discrete GPU's. There are no more laptops with nVidia gpu's integrated into the chipset and there haven't been for close to a couple years now.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
There are laptops with nVidia GPU's but only discrete GPU's. There are no more laptops with nVidia gpu's integrated into the chipset and there haven't been for close to a couple years now.
Well they would do well to stop whining and do like AMD/Radeon

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Not really. nVidia is worth more than ATI was, it would be very expensive for Intel to acquire them. Besides, Intel is more concerned with integrated solutions than discrete ones and they seem to be making good progress there on their own. 30% boost between SB and IB is pretty good for a "tick" Haswell should be another huge leap forward.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Geforce
Geforce 3
Geforce 4 ti
9700pro
8800GT (probably the #1 hall of famer)
Radeon 5870 (cause after 3 years its still a top tier card!)

Thats all that needs to be said. Quite frankly before the original Geforce card with its T&L engine, graphics cards were just a novelty. Kinda like Ageacs physics cards or Killer NCs modem cards. They were nice & all, but far from mainstream & didn't really do anything noticeably different.

Sent from my MB861 using Tapatalk 2

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
nvidia 6800 gt
nvidia 8800 gtx
amd 4850
amd 5870

for pure value, the amd 6950. it was going for 250 AR almost 16 months ago ago. and still to this day, is still selling for 200 (and happily bought) on the used market. that's almost unheard of.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Geforce
Geforce 3
Geforce 4 ti
9700pro
8800GT (probably the #1 hall of famer)
Radeon 5870 (cause after 3 years its still a top tier card!)

Thats all that needs to be said. Quite frankly before the original Geforce card with its T&L engine, graphics cards were just a novelty. Kinda like Ageacs physics cards or Killer NCs modem cards. They were nice & all, but far from mainstream & didn't really do anything noticeably different.

Sent from my MB861 using Tapatalk 2

If you think Voodoo/2 didn't do much of anything you either didn't use them or used them wrong. They were by far the largest graphics leap in PC gaming history IMO.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
If you think Voodoo/2 didn't do much of anything you either didn't use them or used them wrong. They were by far the largest graphics leap in PC gaming history IMO.
I think DX10 and Crysis represented the biggest leap in GPUs ever.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I personally got a bigger wow factor when I first popped in my V2 in my Pentium 200mmx Compaq Presario. Crysis was expected to have good graphics, especially following Far Cry (the first one), but that's a side point anyway. The main thing is, those Voodoo cards certainly made a very appreciable difference.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
I personally got a bigger wow factor when I first popped in my V2 in my Pentium 200mmx Compaq Presario. Crysis was expected to have good graphics, especially following Far Cry (the first one), but that's a side point anyway. The main thing is, those Voodoo cards certainly made a very appreciable difference.
Crysis was hardly even known at the time it released it was largely a sleeper hit and also being a PC exclusive only there was hardly any mainstream advertising unless you read Maximum PC magazine ect. I was absolutely blown away by the level of quality visuals when I first played Crysis maxed out on my XFX 8800 GTX 768mb @ 1080P @ 13fps max back in 07 LOL.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
I was well aware of crysis as were most PC gamers.
PC gaming community has grown exponentially since 07 when Crysis released heck it was only 05/06 that I bought my first GPU "6800GS 256mb" we were a small breed back then.

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
The 3dfx voodooII card made a huge difference to gaming with regards to Quake 1. The game ran smoother than a baby's bottom with that card in. :)

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
PC gaming community has grown exponentially since 07 when Crysis released heck it was only 05/06 that I bought my first GPU "6800GS 256mb" we were a small breed back then.

That would be true if it wren't completely false.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
6800gt was an awesome card, paid like 300 for it back in 05, then 7 series came out like a week after I bought it, I should of returned it lol.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

PC gaming was much more popular back then, not sure what you're talking about.....

Its still popular, but 2000-2006 was a particularly good time since the PC had a TON of exclusives and devs loved the PC.

Pottuvoi

Apr 16, 2012
Rendition Verite
Matrox G200/G400

Both of those combined 2D and 3D before 3DFX got their act together with the VooDoo 3. (No, the VooDoo Banshee abomination doesn't count)
We have a winner.
Verite was amazing back then..
A 8MB card with 32bit framebuffer support and edge anti-aliasing. (sadly it ran some dos resolution like a dog without legs, but otherwise it was a great card.)

G400 was very good as well.
Tseng was also quite good in the 90s. VESA Local Bus, baby! :D
It was incredible, the difference to ISA was huge.
Never forget the moment when we saw our demo on big screen on a machine which had VLB, everything just zoomed by and basically broke our demo. (it was not time locked, so effects were something like 4x too fast.) :D

Last edited:

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Gordon Freemen is the new Tweakboy :D half of what he says makes no sense

In terms of wow factor, Voodoo wins by a mile... Seeing 3d acceleration for the first time was mind blowing... Anyone who disagrees just wasnt there back then

The 2nd huge leap was the programmable shaders that came with Dx8 and Geforce 3... Everything became much more organic, and "Nature" test in 3dmark2001 was one of the most memorable ever because of that

Sadly, I havent really been impressed with graphics ever since... Though this year E3 had a really strong showing, with both Unreal engine 4 and Cryengine 3 looking pretty damn good

Member callouts are not acceptable in VC&G.
Regarding:
Administrator Idoncare

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000

In terms of wow factor, Voodoo wins by a mile... Seeing 3d acceleration for the first time was mind blowing... Anyone who disagrees just wasnt there back then

The 2nd huge leap was the programmable shaders that came with Dx8 and Geforce 3... Everything became much more organic, and "Nature" test in 3dmark2001 was one of the most memorable ever because of that

Sadly, I havent really been impressed with graphics ever since... Though this year E3 had a really strong showing, with both Unreal engine 4 and Cryengine 3 looking pretty damn good

Yeah, I ponied up in college for a 8meg Voodoo 2. Holy hell it changed everything for me.

You're right, people that weren't around then have no idea the impact that card and Quake did for 3d gaming. Completely turned the paradigm inside out as to what was possible.

Pottuvoi

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, I ponied up in college for a 8meg Voodoo 2. Holy hell it changed everything for me.

You're right, people that weren't around then have no idea the impact that card and Quake did for 3d gaming. Completely turned the paradigm inside out as to what was possible.
Sadly it also ended the reign of different possibilities with graphics engines with very restricting programmability. (no more voxels and silly screenspace tricks.)

We saw things like screen space shadows, deferred lighting and some very weird tech way before they were re-introduced by programmable GPUs. (Pentium 1-3 era..)

Last edited: