Question GPU/CPU lag spikes?

RA1NF3AR

Jan 17, 2019
Hi im having troubles fixing what i think is a GPU issue, When i play any FPS games the GPU sounds like it powers down for a split second and then resumes playing the game. It causes lag the exact moment it happens every time it does it and because i play mostly online FPS it causes me to die a lot. I have turned off windows gaming, nvidia shadowplay i even set my pc to delete cache files every 5 minutes but nothing is working for me is there a fix for this please? Btw ive noticed when playing games the CPU usage drops to 50% from 70%+ when it happens

I have a brand new PC set up and have never had issues like this with any other pc

RTX 2080 OC
I7-9700K w/water cooler
Gigabyte z390 gaming X
Gigabyte 750watt gold psu
16gb 3200mhz ram

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
That is a bit peculiar... I don't have any first hand experience with troubleshooting RTX cards but that almost sounds like either an issue with the power supply or card itself. The easiest way to find out is to try the card in another machine if available, or removing it and trying another card (again, if available). Typically, cards will either work or not so the fact that it's intermittent comes across as unusual to me.

RA1NF3AR

Jan 17, 2019
That is a bit peculiar... I don't have any first hand experience with troubleshooting RTX cards but that almost sounds like either an issue with the power supply or card itself. The easiest way to find out is to try the card in another machine if available, or removing it and trying another card (again, if available). Typically, cards will either work or not so the fact that it's intermittent comes across as unusual to me.
I have just noticed it plays games fine until the ram cache goes above 2gb do you know of a program that will auto clean while im in game please?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Maybe the GPU is slowing down because it momentarily has nothing to do? That is, it's waiting for something else, like a file to load or something.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I would use MSI Afterburner and expand the graph (double click). Edit out all the unnecessary stuff (right-click, properties).

I would also edit the polling rate to 100ms vs 1000ms for the graph.

That should provide enough info to see what is happening to GPU usage and CPU usage during the dip.

What FPS game are you playing that causes this? Does this happen on every game you play?

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I would use MSI Afterburner and expand the graph (double click). Edit out all the unnecessary stuff (right-click, properties).

That should provide enough info to see what is happening to GPU usage and CPU usage during the dip.

What FPS game are you playing that causes this? Does this happen on every game you play?

Yes do this. See if you are getting a drop in CPU or GPU utilization that doesn't make sense. You can also see if it's downclocking the GPU or CPU at the same time. And as ZGR asked do you see it in every game you play or just one?

RA1NF3AR

Jan 17, 2019

Thanks i will give this a try, Well it happens in every FPS game i play other than destiny which doesnt make sense

RA1NF3AR

Jan 17, 2019

I have done what you said and from what i can see everything looks good apart from GPU and power % being erratic

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
What kind of FPS are you getting? What is your monitors refresh rate?

When the stutter occurs, your GPU usage and power % drop? What about your GPU core clock? Drops I am assuming.

There is a 2080 ti user on [H] that is experiencing stutters with no cause.

https://hardforum.com/threads/do-yo...your-rtx-card.1970788/page-16#post-1044034226

They RMA'd their card and the new one appears to have none of those issues.

Before doing that however, I would try to do more troubleshooting. I would definitely try maxing out the power limit, lowering the power limit, lowering core and memory clock, and try capping Framerate in Rivatuner.

I'm not feeling too confident about my suggestions, but it would really help to try moving the card to another system, or trying a different GPU out on the same system.

It could even be power supply related, but I have never experienced something like that on a desktop.

Something I would do is use NvidiaInspector to force pStates, but that will require some further research on how to use it. This will force the card to run in 3d mode.

Back with Kepler and Maxwell (600/700 series), it was possible to lock a specific clockspeed with .bat files so the GPU could not downclock until resetting it with a different batch file.

If feeling hopeless, I would RMA!

RA1NF3AR

Jan 17, 2019
What kind of FPS are you getting? What is your monitors refresh rate?

When the stutter occurs, your GPU usage and power % drop? What about your GPU core clock? Drops I am assuming.

There is a 2080 ti user on [H] that is experiencing stutters with no cause.

https://hardforum.com/threads/do-yo...your-rtx-card.1970788/page-16#post-1044034226

They RMA'd their card and the new one appears to have none of those issues.

Before doing that however, I would try to do more troubleshooting. I would definitely try maxing out the power limit, lowering the power limit, lowering core and memory clock, and try capping Framerate in Rivatuner.

I'm not feeling too confident about my suggestions, but it would really help to try moving the card to another system, or trying a different GPU out on the same system.

It could even be power supply related, but I have never experienced something like that on a desktop.

Something I would do is use NvidiaInspector to force pStates, but that will require some further research on how to use it. This will force the card to run in 3d mode.

Back with Kepler and Maxwell (600/700 series), it was possible to lock a specific clockspeed with .bat files so the GPU could not downclock until resetting it with a different batch file.

If feeling hopeless, I would RMA!
No the core clock never budges, Ive noticed since i did what you said earlier the CPU % is going up and down rapidly

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
No the core clock never budges, Ive noticed since i did what you said earlier the CPU % is going up and down rapidly

That may be normal behavior. That happens to me when I game, but no stutters/hangs. My CPU usage is all over the place, especially when I game at a high refresh rate.

RA1NF3AR

Jan 17, 2019
Sure, as long as the video in question isn't violating any rules. I'm assuming this is a video related to the stuttering which would probably be helpful.
Yes im uploading a video atm, It doesnt drop fps as often in BF5 as it does in other games but it does show how crazy the CPU is acting. I was watching the GPU usage while playing and it barely budged.

Last edited:

ccarena26

Jan 27, 2020
I have this exact issue with similar but not quite as good of specs. It makes FPS games unplayable and crashes some other less demanding games. Every game ran perfectly and then it suddenly started. A clean windows install didn’t fix the issue, all hardware has passed stress tests, sfc /scannow didn’t detect any corrupt files. Is there a chance it’s the PSU?

Guru

May 5, 2017
Look the only way to properly troubleshoot your PC is to remove components one by one.

Obviously you can't remove the cpu, but by point of elimination you may end up with it being the issue.

First you need to remove one stick of ram and try, then the other stick of ram and try, then remove the gpu and play on the internal gpu and check, if none of these fixes your problem you continue by removing the SSD/HDD, if you have an hdd and an sdd, try one by one, first on the HDD, then on the SSD, if not, then you need to borrow an HDD from your friends, then check the PSU, realistically the only way to check is to put another PSU and see if there are still issues.

If you check all of this and there is still issues, its probably your CPU that is the cause. At this point I'll do a full bios reset, clear the CMOS, update the bios with the latest version or downgrade if it already has the latest version and check. If you still have issues then it seems like the cpu is the issue.

Again its a painstaking job, but that is the only way to troubleshoot your system.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Hi im having troubles fixing what i think is a GPU issue, When i play any FPS games the GPU sounds like it powers down for a split second and then resumes playing the game. It causes lag the exact moment it happens every time it does it and because i play mostly online FPS it causes me to die a lot. I have turned off windows gaming, nvidia shadowplay i even set my pc to delete cache files every 5 minutes but nothing is working for me is there a fix for this please? Btw ive noticed when playing games the CPU usage drops to 50% from 70%+ when it happens

I have a brand new PC set up and have never had issues like this with any other pc

RTX 2080 OC
I7-9700K w/water cooler
Gigabyte z390 gaming X
Gigabyte 750watt gold psu
16gb 3200mhz ram

Can I ask what water cooling system you're using? I ran into issues long ago that continue to today with NZXT AIO cooling systems and their monitoring software....the software was causing stalling-type issues. Would go "crazy" sometimes and chew up huge amounts of cpu time/resources.