GPS not working on ASUS Transformer Prime

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I would keep an eye more on xda then here for device specific issues. That sucks to hear however, and I hope Asus can fix it with a software patch. I wouldn't go so far as to say 60% of users have the issue, I am going to say 60% of the users searching for a Asus Prime GPS thread on XDA have the issue :) Big difference. Not defending Asus, just saying.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I didn't even know TP even had GPS. Cool. I'm so used to not seeing one on wifi only tablets.

My suggestion is to return the unit to the place of purchase for a new one to see if it's better or get a refund if they're out of stock. Having experienced the whole Galaxy S phone GPS fiasco, it's "shoot first, ask questions later" for me. Software fix may or may not fix it. Why take the chance? You can always repurchase later once you're sure it's fixed.

Dajackal9999

Dec 28, 2011
Thanks for the answers guys. As far as the 60% looking for GPS issues on XDA for the Prime that would mean 60% of over 17000 views which adds up to alot of folks ;) ASUS is claiming total ignorance of the problem (surprise). I talked with them on the phone and then called GameStop where I purchased the tablet. They say I have 30 days to return it.Given that I'll wait to see if there is any type of software patch for this...if not...back it goes.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Damn I am jealous. I would love a TP, even one with a broken GPS (something I will NEVER use on a wifi tablet). But I called my local store and the guy (who last week told me this week) said it would be "weeks."

:(

Cruisin1

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
So my prime arrived today :) GPS works fine. What doesn't work that is kinda lame is within the browser its not syncing my google bookmarks. When I go to sync and look it shows it as trying. Did a quick google search and this seems to be a known issues with honeycomb (although worked fine on my xoom).

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I didn't even know TP even had GPS. Cool. I'm so used to not seeing one on wifi only tablets.

My suggestion is to return the unit to the place of purchase for a new one to see if it's better or get a refund if they're out of stock. Having experienced the whole Galaxy S phone GPS fiasco, it's "shoot first, ask questions later" for me. Software fix may or may not fix it. Why take the chance? You can always repurchase later once you're sure it's fixed.

There's pretty much no electronic device that doesn't have GPS. I am exaggerating of course but I find it very surprising that you actually thought the device that is probably going to be the most popular Android tablet doesn't have GPS.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
There's pretty much no electronic device that doesn't have GPS. I am exaggerating of course but I find it very surprising that you actually thought the device that is probably going to be the most popular Android tablet doesn't have GPS.

Wifi only iPad doesn't have one. None for iPod Touch. Same for HP Touchpad, Kindle Fire, Nook Color/Tablet. That's like all the top selling tablets and handheld device.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
My WiFi HTC Flyer does, definitely not a high volume sales device though. And I read it's officially dead yesterday, a $499 retail price was a major problem... 1/2 the screen size of an iPad and Android 2.3 just didn't cut it in the retail world...

I scored mine for $200 and it's about worth that much. It works great as an app repository for me, I have a ton of Android apps.

The manufacturers seem to feel WiFi only devices don't need GPS chips.

Last edited:

Dajackal9999

Dec 28, 2011
The official Asus Prime Webpage does indeed list GPS as a component of the device. However as of right now I have my Samsung Epic 4G Touch sitting on a window sill locked to 6 of 8 sats and my Prime sitting on it WITH wifi on for aGPS and not one sat locked. This morning I went outside and it locked on 8 of 11 sats at my home...got into car to drive to work and immediately went to searching for GPS. After a 45 minute commute nothing. I don't care if it can lock while standing outside....a real gps works in a moving vehicle. Hell...my Epic 4G I use as any real gps...It's more accurate than the gps in my Benz since it doesn't need a disc to update it. Next test will be to turn off wifi and radio on phone and just use gps to see if it still tracks as well. Soon as the local gamestop has them in stock again EXCHANGE TIME :twisted:

PrimeGPSFails

Dec 29, 2011
The official Asus Prime Webpage does indeed list GPS as a component of the device. However as of right now I have my Samsung Epic 4G Touch sitting on a window sill locked to 6 of 8 sats and my Prime sitting on it WITH wifi on for aGPS and not one sat locked. This morning I went outside and it locked on 8 of 11 sats at my home...got into car to drive to work and immediately went to searching for GPS. After a 45 minute commute nothing. I don't care if it can lock while standing outside....a real gps works in a moving vehicle. Hell...my Epic 4G I use as any real gps...It's more accurate than the gps in my Benz since it doesn't need a disc to update it. Next test will be to turn off wifi and radio on phone and just use gps to see if it still tracks as well. Soon as the local gamestop has them in stock again EXCHANGE TIME :twisted:

Exchanging it will do no good unless its ASUS is sending out newly designed units.

See here -----> http://androidforums.com/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime/473703-gps-issue-solved-bad-news.html

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Yay! I finally got one ordered online with a shipping date of Monday! I am so freaking excited!!!!!

As far as the GPS issue, I will probably just disable the TP GPS in software and use either my bluetooth GPS unit or my cell phone GPS (via Bluetooth). I got used to that problem with the Nook Color.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I can't wait to see somebody with a TP suction-cupped to their windshield!

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Wifi only iPad doesn't have one. None for iPod Touch. Same for HP Touchpad, Kindle Fire, Nook Color/Tablet. That's like all the top selling tablets and handheld device.

Wait, really? Wow. I stand corrected. I apologize.

Dajackal9999

Dec 28, 2011

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
Yay! I finally got one ordered online with a shipping date of Monday! I am so freaking excited!!!!!

As far as the GPS issue, I will probably just disable the TP GPS in software and use either my bluetoowhth GPS unit or my cell phone GPS (via Bluetooth). I got used to that problem with the Nook Color.

Where did you order? I still have 2 on pre-order at j&r since 12/12/11 with no activity whatsoever. Going to cancell asap if i can find it someplace else. At this time i only need 1 since i got my daughter the 10.1 galaxy tab instead.

Peace