gps and laptop - recommendations??

drwoo123

Apr 3, 2002
I recently got the idea of putting a gps in my car, but then I realized that I already have a laptop and should be able to hook one up with that. Always being a fan of using my laptop for as much as possible I was wondering what solutions people have used.

things i was looking for in a hardware software combination

1. Real time navigation
2. Adjusting if you go off track
3. Voice directions
4. Voice commands would be nice (if you could say how much farther etc)
5. Wireless connectivity would also be awesome (bluetooth in some that ive seen)
6. Compatibility with othersoftware
7. 3-d mapping (i saw this in my friends maxima - looked really cool)
8. save routes, addresses etc - would make logical sense
9. looking for something under or around $200

I saw that both delorme and rand mcnally have a bundle with both hardware and software, but have personally never seen their software, I do have a copy of microsoft streets and trips, and microsoft mappoint (the beauty of being a student) - and I think both these apps are great.

where are my limitations - am i looking for too much in gps receiver - should i be content with some wires and call it a day.

please advise
thanks

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Streets and Trips and MapPoint will scrub out points 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7

Delorme/Rand McNally aren't too bad, and CoPilot is a pretty good app. If you can wait a few weeks, Destinator 3 for PC will hopefully be released. It will give you all points other than 4 (i don't really know if any GPS applications have voice commands).

Check out MP3Car.com forums as well.

Confused

drwoo123

Apr 3, 2002
destinator 3 looks very nice - as for voice commands - i think delorme 2004 supports it but im not sure.

i couldnt find a PC version online - only one for Pocket PC - do you have a link?/

thanks

also - do any of these have the ability to receive traffic updates - and is there a particular reciever i should be purchasing??

bastula

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2000
Delorme Street Atlas 2003 (and I presume 2004) do support both voice recognition and text-to-speech of directions. Works very well - I have used it on at least 8 trips now. For you list above, the program does everything except the 3D maps - I haven't seen consumer software out there that does that yet (that I am aware of).

I have a USB GPS adaptor from Deluo. It is bus powered, really tiny and also is magnetic so you can plop it down and it will stay in place (or use a velcro tab). Deluo also makes a bluetooth model, but it is powered from the car - take a look here.

I got my USB GPS for $99 at the time and the software for $40 from Micro Center - set me back about $150, but has been well worth it for several cross country trips.

If you pick up the bluetooth GPS unit + Delorme Street Atlas 2004, it should be less than $200. Not too shabby.

Here is a link to a thread which I posted my experiences about this set up from last year.

Hope this info helps - Cheers :)

P.S. - I did some checking on Deluo's site - the Routis software that they sell does do 3D maps - but doesn't show those buildings like you might have seen on the fancy car navigation systems.