GParted question/problem

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I have an old computer running XP on a 30gig HD. It was spilt into a 5gig C:\ and 25gig D:\. Well after years of XP patches it could use more than 5gigs. So I used GParted to shrink D:\ to 15gig and move it to the end. GParted said that worked, so without restarting I tried to grow C:\ to 15gig. It failed on simulation, but when it rescanned the drive it showed two 15gig partitions. Worried I restated into windows and everything works. However, C:\ still show 4.5gig used and 500mb free. D:\ shows up correctly. Also in windows disk management it says C:\ is 15gig, but where is my free space? It seems to have somehow resized C:\ to 15gig but didn't tell windows about that space being free.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Even if/when you are successful, those two 15 GB partitions are going to be pretty small and a pain to work with. Why continue fighting it when you can just buy a $50 200 GB or so hard drive, clone your current system partitiion onto the new drive, and move all your data to the new drive?

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I can live with two 15gig partitions. The machine is only a printer server, extra email/web machine, for scanning, and soon to be for MagicJack. Drive D:\ is mainly just holding some old files that my wife should really just delete since I don't think she needs them. So I choose to save my $50. But, I do agree drives a dirt cheap now. I actually wish you could buy smaller drives say 50gig for like $5 though. That would be enough for alot of thinks/people.

I did get it fixed though. I just booted to GParted shrink C:\ alittle. Rebooted to XP. Rebooted to GParted and grew C:\ back to take up all the free space. XP now seems fine.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Since it failed to grow the first time it probably changed the partition size but not the filesystem, so the partition was indeed 15G but the filesystem was still only setup for 5G.