Government To Invade Medical Records In 2014

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
All Americans, by 2014 will be required to have an individual obesity rating electronically recorded. It has been determined that under the new health stimulus law passed by President Barack Obama recently, that all Americans, by 2014, will be required to have electronic health records which will include their height, weight and body mass index (BMI).
http://www.huliq.com/10017/government-wants-your-individual-obesity-rating-2014

I feel so safe knowing all my medical records will be in the hands of the government.

(What constitutional argument can anyone give me that gives this power to the federal government. Clearly a violation of privacy.)

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Nope:

Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Dr. David Blumenthal, the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology for Health and Human Services (HHS), shared on Tuesday that under the stimulus law, health care providers, including doctors and hospitals, must establish "meaningful use" of EHRs by 2014 in order to qualify for federal subsidies. If they do not comply, they will risk getting penalized in the form of diminished Medicare and Medicaid payments.

anus fail.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
And this matters to private practices that don't offer either how? If you accept federal dollars you quite obviously do so at your own peril.
Who will and won't take federal by 2014? Nobody seems to know. It's now demonstrable that many of us won't be able to keep our old plans even if we want to, so being trigger happy on concerns of other changes is not unreasonable.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
BMI is such a load of shit. I don't know why anyone uses that archaic system anymore. At my peak healthiest I was a solid 210 lbs, I would of been obese except I was in great shape. Body fat isn't a very good way to tell if someone is healthy or not. Being overweight and active beats being normal and sitting on your ass.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
And this matters to private practices that don't offer either how? If you accept federal dollars you quite obviously do so at your own peril.
Agree.

So the Dr doesn't accept either and the elderly/poor get to pay the full rate. I'm sure neither one of these groups care as long as they get care/$$ so they'll go with the program. What matters is what the government might do with the information.

"Mr Jones, your bmi is 35 so we"re cutting off your medicare. Lose some weight, fat a**."

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
BMI is such a load of shit. I don't know why anyone uses that archaic system anymore. At my peak healthiest I was a solid 210 lbs, I would of been obese except I was in great shape. Body fat isn't a very good way to tell if someone is healthy or not. Being overweight and active beats being normal and sitting on your ass.

I gotta agree, I am overweight according to BMI. I am 5'10 and 195, in reality I am about 10% bodyfat.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
guys I heard the government will demand anal inspections and gay camps for all teaparty members and neocons. You have been warned.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Ah yes, speaking of being in a rage about what might happen circle jerk. Classic Pat-ur- anus.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
guys I heard the government will demand anal inspections and gay camps for all teaparty members and neocons. You have been warned.
In 2014 Repubs will be in control and the law will be changed to the lefties. They might even like it.:)

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I gotta agree, I am overweight according to BMI. I am 5'10 and 195, in reality I am about 10% bodyfat.
If we adopt the UK model for health care (our new leader of Medicare and Medicaid is very enamored of their system BTW) you'll be penalized and will be denied certain care. Everyone is assigned a score based on various factors and it's a big part of the care that gets doled out to them.

For example, there's no sense giving an artificial knee to a fatty. You're going to fit that criteria. Especially as funds grow scarcer. Resources must be utilized wisely.

Oct 16, 1999
We knew electronic records were coming. Hell, it was one of the selling points of reform with the increased efficiency and lower costs. And anything with your height and weight already has your BMI by default, so the issue here is what exactly?

I'm even willing to bet there is no BMI box on this form and this article is just carefully worded FUD.

Hell, the article even says the number is just generated from your height and weight, because that's all BMI is. It's a pretty useless measurement, but the government isn't mandating your doctor to give you some fat test.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
If we adopt the UK model for health care (our new leader of Medicare and Medicaid is very enamored of their system BTW) you'll be penalized and will be denied certain care. Everyone is assigned a score based on various factors and it's a big part of the care that gets doled out to them.

For example, there's no sense giving an artificial knee to a fatty. You're going to fit that criteria. Especially as funds grow scarcer. Resources must be utilized wisely.

as opposed to your health insurance reviewing your need for the new knee and possibly denying your claim?

I just got health insurance on my own (1099) and they made me sign something that allows them to review all my medical records that the doctors make. lmao. They will decide if I am worthy of treatment RIGHT NOW. lmao.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007

Yeah it's pretty whack, my brother is 5'10 208 lbs in AMAZING shape is going to be playing ball for Dartmouth and he would be considered overweight, damn near bordering obesity.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Yeah it's pretty whack, my brother is 5'10 208 lbs in AMAZING shape is going to be playing ball for Dartmouth and he would be considered overweight, damn near bordering obesity.

i dont think they expect everyone to have 100lbs of muscle mass on their frames and the guidlines are probably for people that dont fit into this mold.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
i dont think they expect everyone to have 100lbs of muscle mass on their frames and the guidlines are probably for people that dont fit into this mold.

JSt0rm01, if I get into decent shape I'll still be considered overweight. There's nothing I can do about it, I've been in good shape before(weighing 200-215) and I haven't weighed under 200lbs since I was 15, 10 years now. BMI does not take into context different body types, bone structure, etc. It is an overly simplified generalization that has no place in modern medicine or science.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
as opposed to your health insurance reviewing your need for the new knee and possibly denying your claim?

I just got health insurance on my own (1099) and they made me sign something that allows them to review all my medical records that the doctors make. lmao. They will decide if I am worthy of treatment RIGHT NOW. lmao.
I don't want the government involved in my health care in the manner that they legislated. That's the bottom line. We could banter back and forth all evening. Instead I got right down to the core of it right off.

The government has a track record of fucking up nearly everything they touch. It's because they are experts at running for office. That is all. Beyond that, their scope is extremely limited. They think a law is the answer to everything.

If you think Obamacare is the answer, more power to you. I know that it will be another utter failure and one that has the very real potential of pushing us over the financial brink. I have only to look at their track record for confirmation.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Going only on the link provided, Patranus' interpretation is very fair.

Wrong, it's a fail. Patranus is saying the government will have our health records. The thread is titled "Government to Invade Medical Record in 2014." Patranus says in his post, " I feel so safe knowing all my medical records will be in the hands of the government."

That is not the case. What IS the case is that the government will require that medical providers KEEP electronic records of their patients, and will condition federal $$ on them doing so. Nowhere in his article does it say these records will fall into the hands of the government itself.

A basic axiom of P&N is that every Patranus thread contains some kind of mischaracterization of the source material.

- wolf