Government to condemn land for Flight 93 memorial

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: brandonbull

Who cares what it is zoned for. They are the property owners and if they want $1B/acre it is their right to ask that.

I guess the "change" we are getting is now "all your property are belong to us". No better way to celebrate freedom and courage by backdooring and harassing people out of their land.

As I noted to Schadenfroh feel free to seek repeal of the 5th Amendment of the Constitution. Your sentiments actually represent the antithesis of the USA and that exhibited by the heros of Flight 93 by sitting on your arse and whining and complaining from behind your keyboard. Get out of your seat and do something if you feel so much O-U-T-R-A-G-E.

Your characterization of "...backdooring and harassing people out of their land..." is BS. The Flight 93 National Memorial Act was signed on September 24, 2002. The initial boundaries were set in 2003 and argued about for over 3 years ... and three years later people are still arguing.

And for all the other outraged brainiacs: The families of those who died acquired more than half of the land and the plane crash debris field itself including human remains were spread over more than 10 acres.

Oh, yeah - let's go ahead and build multiple trinket shops, a hotel and a Walmart next to the 'human remains' debris field. Sheesh. Some of you guys wouldn't know HONOR if it continuously stuck its foot in your ass ...

WHO FUCKING CARES HOW MANY ACRES REMAINS WERE ON.

this is nothing more then thieft. FUCK the families that wanted this. they do not deserve 500 acres for a damn memorial.

if the families wanted the land they pay what the landowners want. if they can't get that amount the to fucking bad.

its just so wrong on so many levels. Everyone should be sickened by this and worried about there own property.

How does it feel to be part of an ever-diminishing minority of angry/outraged white men (especially those who make 16 grammatical errors in a 50-word paragraph) ?

Please feel free to raise the money for an 'Anti-Flight 93 Monument' next to the park for you and your legions of outraged/aggrieved citizens. How big is a legion, anyway (and do they all post at P&N) ?

Please reveal your name on the Anti-Flight 93 Monument as in 120 years our descendants will mock you without pity for your pea-brained sentiments in opposition to a memorial national park which honors the greatest act of selflessness and bravery in the history of our republic.

Really?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
~ ~ ~ honors the greatest act of selflessness and bravery in the history of our republic.

Really?

Feel free to cite another event under any circumstances and we may respectfully debate the merits of each.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
~ ~ ~ honors the greatest act of selflessness and bravery in the history of our republic.

Really?

Feel free to cite another event under any circumstances and we may respectfully debate the merits of each.

Fell free to post facts that 100% prove the "lets roll" stuff was real

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

Really?

Mu understanding is that they could either let the terrorists fly them into a building, killing all of them and who know how many innocent people or go down fighting with the worst case scenario being saving innocent lives and the best case scenario being succeeding in getting back control of the plane and possibly surviving.

It was about survival not about selflessness. That was just a byproduct of the attempt to survive.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Really?

Do you have any actual PROOF of said selflessness and bravery, or are you relying on the urban legends that they actually tried to take the plane back, causing its crash?
The alleged "Let's Roll," over a cell phone does not prove anything was actually done...nor any "Act of selflessness and bravery."

IF the people who lost family on Flight 93 want a fucking memorial, instead of taking land from private citizens, why not push for a memorial in the Newark Airport where the flight originated?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Newbian
Originally posted by: BeauJangles
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Originally posted by: jonks
If they were securing a couple acres I could maybe see some sort of possible weak shred of an argument about a national monument, but 500 acres?

Yeah I don't see why they just don't buy ~10 surrounding acres + land for road access.

Because you can't build a gaudy monument on only 10 acres.

Now 2,200 acres.... that's the way to go. :laugh:

Yup. Mount Rushmore covers fewer than 1,280 acres. The National Mall covers fewer than 310 acres.

But we need 2,200 acres for Flight 93 damn it!

ZV

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: Newbian
Originally posted by: BeauJangles
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Originally posted by: jonks
If they were securing a couple acres I could maybe see some sort of possible weak shred of an argument about a national monument, but 500 acres?

Yeah I don't see why they just don't buy ~10 surrounding acres + land for road access.

Because you can't build a gaudy monument on only 10 acres.

Now 2,200 acres.... that's the way to go. :laugh:

Yup. Mount Rushmore covers fewer than 1,280 acres. The National Mall covers fewer than 310 acres.

ZV

Let's declare the whole state a national monument, just to be sure!

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
the plane crash debris field itself including human remains were spread over more than 10 acres.

I may be a little confused here, but the last time I checked, "more than 10 acres" was still a hell of a lot less than 2,200 acres.

ZV

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
2200 acres..

i don't think people really understand how large of a land grab this is. its rather amazing. it was stolen for what? something that could have beend one on 5-10 acres.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

ZV

Let's declare the whole state a national monument, just to be sure!

For more perspective, the entire city in which I grew up covers 2,240 acres of land. A city that included 6 parks within its boundaries.

I could understand them wanting 300-500 acres to ensure enough room for parking and a visitors center or whatnot. That makes sense and can be rationally defended. But when they already have 1,700 acres (more than Mount Rushmore and the National Mall combined) and it's still not enough, it really just comes across as greed.

ZV

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
2200 acres..

i don't think people really understand how large of a land grab this is. its rather amazing. it was stolen for what? something that could have beend one on 5-10 acres.

That would be aprox. 2 miles by 2 miles.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
2200 acres..

That would be aprox. 2 miles by 2 miles.

Or a suburb of 5,000 people.

ZV

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
why does flight 93 deserve a 4 square mile memorial? I'm all in favor of more parks and monuments, but really, who gives a shit?

Those are my thoughts, more or less, exactly. I don't have a problem with putting a memorial there on perhaps a half-a-square-mile's worth of land, but what do they need four square miles for? I doubt that many visitors will go out of their way to come to the site (it's not like Gettysburg).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
why does flight 93 deserve a 4 square mile memorial? I'm all in favor of more parks and monuments, but really, who gives a shit?

Those are my thoughts, more or less, exactly. I don't have a problem with putting a memorial there on perhaps a half-a-square-mile's worth of land, but what do they need four square miles for? I doubt that many visitors will go out of their way to come to the site (it's not like Gettysburg).

well to compare the two. Gettysburg is 5990 acres. it is also the site of of one of the biggest Civil War battles. over 50k soldiers were killed or captured. considered one of the bloodies fights on US soil ever. the site of the battle was huge and a important part of US history.

the flight 93 memorial is going to be 2200 acres (right under half the size) and only had what 40 people on it. while remains of the passengers were found on over 10 acres (ok so what about the other 2190?) the rest of the acres are well..for what?

thousands flock to Gettysburg yearly. how many are going to come to this? a 10-30 acre plot of land is more then big enough its not like people are going to be walking around saying "a toe was found in this 20 acres" sigh

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Really?

Do you have any actual PROOF of said selflessness and bravery, or are you relying on the urban legends that they actually tried to take the plane back, causing its crash?
The alleged "Let's Roll," over a cell phone does not prove anything was actually done...nor any "Act of selflessness and bravery."

IF the people who lost family on Flight 93 want a fucking memorial, instead of taking land from private citizens, why not push for a memorial in the Newark Airport where the flight originated?

The 9/11 Commission report?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Really?

The 9/11 Commission report?

Even if the commission report and all other accounts are somehow proved to be correct you would still say this is the most brave/selfless action ever in our history? Seriously? Pure sensationalism.