Government Stimulus Package

prism

Oct 23, 2004
I'm in college and although I pay my own way and file taxes, my parents claim me as a dependent so I can get on their sweet Mayo clinic health insurance coverage. Anyone know if I'll still get the $600 or whatever amount it is from the government? One of my friends filed his taxes the day after he got his W2 and he already received his check.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
no....you have to be independent to get the $600. Otherwise, a $300 credit goes to your parents.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Prism
I'm in college and although I pay my own way and file taxes, my parents claim me as a dependent so I can get on their sweet Mayo clinic health insurance coverage. Anyone know if I'll still get the $600 or whatever amount it is from the government? One of my friends filed his taxes the day after he got his W2 and he already received his check.

He got the $600 or he got his income tax check already? I received one of my 2 checks, but wasn't aware that the $600 dollar checks were in the mail already...

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: amdhunter

He got the $600 or he got his income tax check already? I received one of my 2 checks, but wasn't aware that the $600 dollar checks were in the mail already...

They aren't. His friend got back his tax refund. Not the stimulus check. The stimulus check won't be until May.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

He didn't get his stimulus check... they aren't sending them out until they're done sending out tax refund checks.

prism

Oct 23, 2004

He's received both already, and I thought that people weren't going to start receiving their stimulus checks until summer as well.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003

He's received both already, and I thought that people weren't going to start receiving their stimulus checks until summer as well.

Impossible. The start of the checks aren't set to be sent out until May.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

I'd bet he just received both the federal and state refunds.

Trogdor91

Sep 22, 2004
Durr....was I supposed to fill out anything special for this $600? or do they just send it to me because I filed as independent from my parents?

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
If you filed your taxes, you'll get it sent to you, or it will be direct deposited if your refunds were routed that way.

And no, he didn't get his stimulus check yet.
When will people learn that when people post "my friend said..." that it's usually massively incorrect?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal

Impossible. The start of the checks aren't set to be sent out until May.

Yeah, he didnt- they were just saying on the news that they're gearing up the printers for May's checks. They're not even printed yet.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Trogdor91
Durr....was I supposed to fill out anything special for this $600? or do they just send it to me because I filed as independent from my parents?

if you filed, you'll get it.