Government Motors is showing recovery with a $500 million investment in New Mexico!

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
oh wait.... that is Mexico.. the country.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/08/gm_announces_major_investment.html

I live just a few miles from a GM plant that was closed just 2 years ago for a $400million retrofit in order to make it a more flexible plant. Now it employs about 1/4th of the workforce and just makes engines.

oh well. Good bye to tall the state tax money that was paid to let the GM employees be idle for 18 months while the plant was undergoing the upgrade.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Wasn't Obama at a Ford plant today telling everyone how the big 3 are making a profit for the first time in 6 years? I guess you can do that if you get government bailouts and move everything to Mexico. Bend over American taxpayers!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Boy, Obama does something that will reduce illegal immigration, and they still complain.

(Tongue in cheek, for those who need that disclaimer).

Brigandier

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2008
Boy, Obama does something that will reduce illegal immigration, and they still complain.

(Tongue in cheek, for those who need that disclaimer).

Obama could find the cure to cancer and everyone would complain about exploding SS costs.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
oh wait.... that is Mexico.. the country.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2010/08/gm_announces_major_investment.html

I live just a few miles from a GM plant that was closed just 2 years ago for a $400million retrofit in order to make it a more flexible plant. Now it employs about 1/4th of the workforce and just makes engines.

oh well. Good bye to tall the state tax money that was paid to let the GM employees be idle for 18 months while the plant was undergoing the upgrade.

Yep and I have friends who used to work at that plant. Glad we pumped a shit ton of money into this AMERICAN company. Business as usual.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
Well, according to the Free Trade Religion, sending American jobs out of the country creates more jobs. Its just a lack of faith. That's all. Well, faith and the willingness to work for less than minimum wage in a dangerous, toxic environment.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
i lol'd with a some corp head a few weekends ago about how he was pissed his workers in "little detroid" in Mexico couldn't be protected or keep crime out of his facility. Says its a huge problem and liability if your trucks are being used as drug running cartels and there is nothing you can do about it.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
While they should be doing it here in the US, it's not surprising as a business they are just looking at the bottom line

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Well, at least the government is protecting our mandatory investment by not getting bogged down even further by building more plants in the land of the United Auto Workers.

Although, plants in Right-to-work states would have worked and added American jobs.

Maybe... just maybe the Feds can recoup some of our losses when the IPO finally launches.

Bah, corporate welfare... GM and especially Chrysler (Chrysler has failed and required bailouts twice) should have been liquidated under standard US bankruptcy law as both are failures.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
i lol'd with a some corp head a few weekends ago about how he was pissed his workers in "little detroid" in Mexico couldn't be protected or keep crime out of his facility. Says its a huge problem and liability if your trucks are being used as drug running cartels and there is nothing you can do about it.

As far as I'm concerned, he deserves it. Fuck him. I hope that his shitty goods eventually get tarriffed to all hell and his company goes under.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
As far as I'm concerned, he deserves it. Fuck him. I hope that his shitty goods eventually get tarriffed to all hell and his company goes under.

well, in his anonymous defense, he controlled the only plant left in US territory, and he spends 1/2 his time trying to keep whiny bitchy union people by giving them a dose of reality as to where their jobs could be going if they don't get more productive and compete

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I would think the possibility there's a hundred million dollars in cocaine in your Volt battery pack would boost sales.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
New age slavery get used to it, it's coming here. The world is becoming a handful of haves and a large class of industrial serfs who own nothing but their bellies and can have plug pulled on them at any second if they get uppity. They just rationalize their modern day "ancient rights of kings" with perverted definitions of “marketplace”, “economics” which social contract theorists and economists who invented these terms such as Locke, Smith, etc would never agree to.

Last edited:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
New age slavery get used to it, it's coming here. The world is becoming a handful of haves and a large class of industrial serfs who own nothing but their bellies and can have plug pulled on them at any second if they get uppity. They just rationalize their modern day "ancient rights of kings" with perverted definitions of “marketplace”, “economics” which social contract theorists and economists who invented these terms such as Locke, Smith, etc would never agree to.
I enjoyed this post, particularly saying they own nothing but their bellies. It was lucid and on point.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
"By preferring the support of domestic to that of foreign industry, he intends only his own security; and by directing that industry in such a manner as its produce may be of the greatest value, he intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention." Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations...notice it does not say Wealth of Men.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I enjoyed this post, particularly saying they own nothing but their bellies. It was lucid and on point.

Well it's true. Thailand found that out in the 90's when workers and legislators tried giving HC and decent wages. Also a Nike VP said Nike moves the second labor gets above 25 cents an hour. This is a global labor arbitrage and the elites world wide are all in on it. Domestically Republicans already leaned this way and progressively more as time went on and but Democrats are co-opted as well since they also depend on multinationals and the elite for campaign contributions.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Job outsourcing will continue to happen anywhere there is cheap labor. The world has an abundance of human capital so you guys better get used to it. The Republicans and pro-outsourcing types would often fire back against criticism by telling those that lost their jobs to retrain and find a different career path. Well even those "service sector" jobs are outsourced to India now. The best a high school graduate American can hope for is a job at a fast food chain or a Walmart greeter.

Thankfully I finish medical school next year and won't have to worry about this just YET. Though I think talks of nationalizing healthcare and lowering doctor's wages will come up again as the economy continues to slip. Fortunately I'll be able to market my skills to other countries should it ever get unbearable. Tough luck for those that depended on labor to get by.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Problem is if there is no demand at the bottom you cannibalize yourself eventually because rich only need so many yachts and only one Mayo Clinic.

Homes builders go out of biz, liqueur stores, clinics, etc etc etc who make up the large middle and upper middle class. Eventually it will look like Mexico or Chad or like we did in gilded age. .1% owns all including a Chateau in Switzerland like all the third world Presidents, 5% "middle" protects and services them and 95% live is misery and destitution. Including some MDs, formerly successful merchants, and other professionals.

StepUp

May 12, 2004
Worked at the plant Rudder references in the OP for a year from 2008 - 2009. When it closed, I transferred with GM to Texas, and am headed to St. Louis in 3 weeks.

I work in Logistics and right now I'm forced to work overnight and handle all the issues out of Mexico because the cartels have taken over so many areas of Mexico, that martial law has been declared in many areas where our material travels through. Parts are constantly stolen, or trucks come up missing altogether. It is a logistical nightmare.

That being said, Ramos is a very successful plant so it makes sense to continue investing in it. I just hope that the casualties of the GM bankruptcy (the U.S. plants) will not be left in the dark. By the same token, if it doesn't make sense financially to retool and reopen them yet, then they should not rush that decision. We don't want to be walking down the same precarious path we emerged from 10 years down the road due to political pressure and not making sound financial decisions.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't Obama at a Ford plant today telling everyone how the big 3 are making a profit for the first time in 6 years? I guess you can do that if you get government bailouts and move everything to Mexico. Bend over American taxpayers!

The best part was when he said Ford had survived without a bailout... the crowd started cheering, obviously against the government bailouts, and MSNBC cut away quickly and started talking about how friendly the crowd was.