Gov of Illinois tries to tax the uber rich to help fund the state and it fails?!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Eventually big cuts that will absolutely devastate anywhere that isn't Chicago or the collar counties.

Look, the political situation in IL is shit and has been for a long time under both parties. I know people think the Ds are bad but in my lifetime I can assure the Rs are just as hopelessly corrupt and useless. The other major factor is that much of downstate totally hates Chicago for irrational reasons even though the metro is who pays the bills. If downstate could vote to drop a ten megaton nuclear weapon on the city they would regardless of the consequences. It's simply beyond reason and the Republicans of late have continued to fuel that up for their own political purposes.

Eventually the old political class is going to have to die out for there to be real resolutions to real problems. Pritzker generally means well but the climate is just to toxic to get much done.
I am a liberal and I absolutely hate the IL Democratic party.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I don't understand why tax measures require voter input.
This measure required voter input because it was an amendment to the State constitution. The State's constitution right now only allows the State to administer a flat percentage income tax for all people. Same rate regardless of income, progressive taxation not allowed. This amendment would have deleted that text from the State constitution to allow progressive income taxation. Any amendment to the constitution requires 60% approval.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Can you relocate?
At some point I would be open to it. The Chicago job market being so big provides a lot of opportunities for my career field, which is very closely tied to politics and policy. The best market would be D.C. but I have no interest in living there.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
At some point I would be open to it. The Chicago job market being so big provides a lot of opportunities for my career field, which is very closely tied to politics and policy. The best market would be D.C. but I have no interest in living there.
It's not flat at least. I grew up in Arlington Va, so I don't see a problem with that area. Just expensive as crap. I assume Chicago is just a pricey though unless you want to go past Schaumburg. (I worked at Motorola once).

Reactions: pete6032

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's not flat at least. I grew up in Arlington Va, so I don't see a problem with that area. Just expensive as crap. I assume Chicago is just a pricey though unless you want to go past Schaumburg. (I worked at Motorola once).

Average home price in Arlington is three times Chicago's heh.

• Wow
Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Oh, not Arlington proper. That's completely out of site. Somewhere past Dulles Airport at least. The house I grew up in was bulldozed, and a big block house was built on it occupying most of the lot. It's probably worth 1.5 mil. It's a long walk or a short drive to the Sycamore Metro Station.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Oh, not Arlington proper. That's completely out of site. Somewhere past Dulles Airport at least. The house I grew up in was bulldozed, and a big block house was built on it occupying most of the lot. It's probably worth 1.5 mil. It's a long walk or a short drive to the Sycamore Metro Station.

Yea those parts of VA have exploded over the past couple decades. Prices in the DC metro are something. Before we left Chicago last year I was seeing a lot of east coast transplants who didn't believe what they could get for the money, mostly people out of NYC and Boston.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yea those parts of VA have exploded over the past couple decades. Prices in the DC metro are something. Before we left Chicago last year I was seeing a lot of east coast transplants who didn't believe what they could get for the money, mostly people out of NYC and Boston.
Me, when I hit out here 30 or so years ago. I could not believe all the waterfront property there was. I wish I had had a spare 150k. You could even buy waterfront at that price then, and 5 acre lots left and right. No more.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I think the data gets skewed because Chicago covers quite a bit of geographical and economic area. It encompasses millions of people and necessarily averages in low income areas. You are taking average home prices of a city with millions and comparing it a large Chicago suburb. If you talk about places people would like to live in the city (excluding the projects and downtown because that is straight up ridiculous) like Bucktown, near North side, etc. you would find that Arlington is not 3x higher. In fact, I would guess you would find similar prices but much smaller lots and homes in Chicago at the same price point. Arlington is probably more like living in Naperville. Open up Zillow and take a look to see what I mean. Click on the properties to get a sense of how ridiculous it all is. And for the record, Chicago has nothing on the bay area for housing stupidity.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Legalize weed. That's going to be the answer for states that are having financial difficulty. That is what we did in NJ. The only issue is using the tax dollars, which will be in the hundred of millions correctly. These financially strapped states could easily pay for public workers, shore up pensions, fix roads on time, etc. That's if the tax money from weed sales is used the right way, and not mismanaged.

• Haha
Reactions: bbhaag

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
^^^Yup and don't forget to legalize sports betting and slots in bars to. Between the gambling and weed it should get Illinois down the right path....oh wait.....shit nvm.

RamIt

Nov 12, 2001
Legalize weed. That's going to be the answer for states that are having financial difficulty. That is what we did in NJ. The only issue is using the tax dollars, which will be in the hundred of millions correctly. These financially strapped states could easily pay for public workers, shore up pensions, fix roads on time, etc. That's if the tax money from weed sales is used the right way, and not mismanaged.
California legalized it and after taxes an eighth of the dank is just under $100 for the recreational stuff. You can buy the same off your local dealer for $35.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think the data gets skewed because Chicago covers quite a bit of geographical and economic area. It encompasses millions of people and necessarily averages in low income areas. You are taking average home prices of a city with millions and comparing it a large Chicago suburb. If you talk about places people would like to live in the city (excluding the projects and downtown because that is straight up ridiculous) like Bucktown, near North side, etc. you would find that Arlington is not 3x higher. In fact, I would guess you would find similar prices but much smaller lots and homes in Chicago at the same price point. Arlington is probably more like living in Naperville. Open up Zillow and take a look to see what I mean. Click on the properties to get a sense of how ridiculous it all is. And for the record, Chicago has nothing on the bay area for housing stupidity.

I don't think the high end urban neighborhoods in Chicago are necessarily a good comp because you can't really get a comparable environment without looking in DC itself. Arlington always kind of struck me as something more like a bigger version of the inner ring suburbs like Oak Park or Evanston although without a lot of the pre-war housing stock that made those two somewhat denser communities. Average home price in those is about 400K.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I don't think the high end urban neighborhoods in Chicago are necessarily a good comp because you can't really get a comparable environment without looking in DC itself. Arlington always kind of struck me as something more like a bigger version of the inner ring suburbs like Oak Park or Evanston although without a lot of the pre-war housing stock that made those two somewhat denser communities. Average home price in those is about 400K.
Yep. That's probably true except Oak Park is 30 minutes on the expressway without traffic (whenever that might actually happen) and is. Ot part of Chicago If you want something within 10 miles of the city, you are paying well north of that figure. Its just an apples to oranges comparison when you compare a mega-opolis like Chicago to DC and the surrounding areas. Just don't go house shopping in Chicago based on average home prices or you will be sorely disappointed and/or living in Schaumburg with a 70 minute commute (post covid of course).

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
^^^Yup and don't forget to legalize sports betting and slots in bars to. Between the gambling and weed it should get Illinois down the right path....oh wait.....shit nvm.
This.

I remember when the toll roads were supposed to switch to no cost. You know after they had paid for themselves and all that shit. Yet, politicians over the decades have found other stuff to spend that money in too. And our roads still suck and the prices go up. Nope. Without fixing their budgets, additional taxes will not help Illinois.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yep. That's probably true except Oak Park is 30 minutes on the expressway without traffic (whenever that might actually happen) and is. Ot part of Chicago If you want something within 10 miles of the city, you are paying well north of that figure. Its just an apples to oranges comparison when you compare a mega-opolis like Chicago to DC and the surrounding areas. Just don't go house shopping in Chicago based on average home prices or you will be sorely disappointed and/or living in Schaumburg with a 70 minute commute (post covid of course).

It's 20 minutes to the city on Metra though. 30 min if you don't mind the CTA Green Line. Several people in our office lived out there, nobody drove it because of traffic.

I still maintain that you can get quite a bit more for the money in Chicago than the DC metro especially if you don't just look at the hottest neighborhoods. This doesn't even really involve a safety tradeoff since there a lot of simply quieter areas with cheaper homes that don't get the attention of a Wicker Park or Lakeview.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
It's 20 minutes to the city on Metra though. 30 min if you don't mind the CTA Green Line. Several people in our office lived out there, nobody drove it because of traffic.

I still maintain that you can get quite a bit more for the money in Chicago than the DC metro especially if you don't just look at the hottest neighborhoods. This doesn't even really involve a safety tradeoff since there a lot of simply quieter areas with cheaper homes that don't get the attention of a Wicker Park or Lakeview.
That is true. Hence apples to oranges. Millions of homes, hundreds of square miles versus a suburb of a small metro area. If you are willing to take a train for 30-45 minutes, the options become u management almost. Plenty of great communities with fantastic houses, huge yards, and phenomonal school districts. I still contend that when you take a look into the data, your are not going to find a home in the city that is 1/3rd the cost of a comparable home in Arlington. My point was to look at average home prices is deceptive when looking at a large city.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That is true. Hence apples to oranges. Millions of homes, hundreds of square miles versus a suburb of a small metro area. If you are willing to take a train for 30-45 minutes, the options become u management almost. Plenty of great communities with fantastic houses, huge yards, and phenomonal school districts. I still contend that when you take a look into the data, your are not going to find a home in the city that is 1/3rd the cost of a comparable home in Arlington. My point was to look at average home prices is deceptive when looking at a large city.

Hence my opinion that Arlington's proper direct comp is an inner ring burb and not the city itself. Just glancing through Redfin a bit it looks like comparable properties in Evanston vs Arlington are separated by roughly 40%. I hesitate to include commute time as too much of a factor since people in the DC metro work in all kinds of nodes (although DC itself is the largest) when Chicago is mostly downtown oriented like a traditional CBD centered city. One of the guys I worked with lived in Alexandria but worked out of Silver Spring offices...I'd rather die thank you. I wouldn't call that very uncommon from my experience. Also commute times from city neighborhoods can actually be worse in Chicago than hops from the inner ring into downtown so it kind of levels that playing field.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
It just boggles my mind how people time and time again vote against things immediately in their own personal interest.
It boggles my mind for someone to proclaim such knowledge and wisdom, but still have such little understanding of reality.