Gothic 3 = Buggy as all heck!

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I've had two crashing in the last 2 hours. :(

And its definitely a system hog, after the last crash, I recorded a 1.5GB memory usage. Makes me want to add another 2GB.

Anyone know when the next community revision is due out? Or when Spellbound, the new dev, is going to release fixes?

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
I almost picked it up from GoGamer during their recent sale - and am now glad I didn't :)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: mundane
I almost picked it up from GoGamer during their recent sale - and am now glad I didn't :)

Don't get me wrong, its fun to play, but its one of the buggier games I've ever played. NWN2 was super polished by comparison.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
give 2Worlds a try ... amazing game engine .. it loads from Startup screen to your game in like ten seconds; saving and loading is a breeze and it looks pretty good ... ZERO crashes in 30 hours ... and maybe one bugged mini SQ ... this is the dev that should do G4
--it was $30 at GoGamer [i think] ... i am enjoying it !

and NWN2 was as buggy as G3 for me
... terrible suffering :|

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Bateluer

Don't get me wrong, its fun to play, but its one of the buggier games I've ever played. NWN2 was super polished by comparison.

I really liked Gothic 1, so when G3 is polished enough (and I find it in the bargain bin) I might revisit my decision.

Oddly enough, my biggest gripes with G2 were the plot and the voice acting (they must've used 2-3 people for the entire cast:) ).

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

Oddly enough, my biggest gripes with G2 were the plot and the voice acting (they must've used 2-3 people for the entire cast:) ).

I would like to play the native German version, to compare the voice acting, however, I'm not learning to speak German for sake of a computer game. :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bateluer

I would like to play the native German version, to compare the voice acting, however, I'm not learning to speak German for sake of a computer game. :p

My biggest gripe with Gothic2 - besides the lack of voice actors - is that it starts so slowly - nothing happens for the first ten or so hours .. and it way too unbalanced - unless you love "hard" - i do but it just lost my interest; i never finished it ... 2Worlds is more interesting [and it is a little dull - starting off - compared with G3 ... but it gets going OK as 'you realized the story is all inter-related pretty well. :p]
i have about 35 hours into 2Worlds and it is getting better and better ... i completely ignored the MQ to do everything else first.

i *wish* i never had played Gothic3 when it first came out ... it would crash every 30 minutes and saving/loading was *painful* with 1GB system RAM; frankly i'd love to play it now ... IF i didn't know the whole story already - it has a good story [with a weak ending] for a 'series'.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You think Gothic 3 is buggy? Try Gothic 1. There are several instances where the developers didn't have time to finish a certain area so they left it half complete in the game. My favorite part of this in when you go up to a character with nonexistant dialog. Your character will try to interact with them as if they did have complete dialog, but nothing ever appears. It locks out all other keyboard controls so you have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to close Gothic. In Vista this usually ends up in a blue screen hard lock 90% of the time. Although, I did recently discover a way to get the game to crash without hard locking and that is to use ALT+ESC. Another problem I've come across is the save games can get corrupt. I had to extract texture files and place them in a sound folder. Why? That's a good question. It's a known problem that will obviously never get fixed due to the games age. To the games credit, it works well and is enjoyable most of the time.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
I told people Gothic 1 and 2 were just as buggy as Gothic 3. And people still act surprised. Gothic 2 got a decent amount of polish via patches. Gothic 3 is still a better game than Two Worlds because despite being buggy, the world has a certain flow to it that just makes the whole place feel so damn adventurous. I know the bugs suck, but I still recommend playing it and I enjoyed it more than Oblivion and Morrowind for the difficulty.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Skacer
I told people Gothic 1 and 2 were just as buggy as Gothic 3. And people still act surprised. Gothic 2 got a decent amount of polish via patches. Gothic 3 is still a better game than Two Worlds because despite being buggy, the world has a certain flow to it that just makes the whole place feel so damn adventurous. I know the bugs suck, but I still recommend playing it and I enjoyed it more than Oblivion and Morrowind for the difficulty.

actually, don't sell 2Worlds short .. there is far more then meets the eye - especially if you do *everything* [many dozens of hours] - there IS a "flow" and a really decent story ... my Character is about level 60
-if you just run thru the MQ, it is pretty boring :p

Gothic1 controls bugged the hell outta me; Gothic2/NotR is the slowest start to any game i remember and hard as hell; Gothic3 IS worth playing - for the story - not the bugs

*one thing* that 2 Worlds has IS bug-free play and an INCREDIBLE game engine that goes from start screen to your saved game in under 10 seconds - and it is far more "seamless" then G3 - just not as "pretty"
-alchemy is a blast!

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Memory usage crashing? If you are using vista, try the vista hotfix. It will help with memory usage in apps.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Originally posted by: apoppin
actually, don't sell 2Worlds short .. there is far more then meets the eye - especially if you do *everything* [many dozens of hours] - there IS a "flow" and a really decent story ... my Character is about level 60
-if you just run thru the MQ, it is pretty boring :p

Gothic1 controls bugged the hell outta me; Gothic2/NotR is the slowest start to any game i remember and hard as hell; Gothic3 IS worth playing - for the story - not the bugs

I'm level 40ish in Two Worlds, I think. Not selling it short at all. But I don't think the world flows as nicely as G3. The towns are all pretty boring and generic by comparison. Just haven't gotten back to it since Soul Nomad, TF2 and Hellgate London fell in my lap. Arrgh.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Turning shadows off in G3 helps,G3 is probably the most buggiest Gothic game of the series,however its playable and there are buggier games,unfortunately RPGs seem to have bugs nowadays,very few do.

My personal favourite was Gothic 1,great storyline even with horrible game controls.

2 Worlds is very bug free considering size of the game(few bugs still),could of done with more content but decent enough,especially once it goes in the bargain basement ,just don't buy the 360 version.2 Worlds grows on you the more you play it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Bringing an old topic back up... I got Gothic 3 today since it was $20 to give it a try. I'm having a lot of graphical issues/bugs. The sky will go dark like it's night time, then flip back to bright (like it's day time) and continue doing this every few seconds. Also, I seem to lose detail in the background. I have the latest community patch (1.5.something). I looked on Aspyr site, it's like the game doesn't exist... the shortcut created during the game install for the Gotic site no longer works. I guess they have already stopped supporting this game? How can a game be released then the makers just stop supporting it so early? If anyone can get me pointed in the right direction on where to look on how to fix the graphical issues, I'd appreciate it.

The graphical issues I am having are something similar (but not exactly) to this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kZqg_ycOhLA&feature=related

I have all settings on the highest, except shadows to medium. AF set to 4x. Thanks.

Oh yea, since Two Worlds was brought up too, that was a decent enough game for $20. Very stable as mentioned, I played nearly 40 hours and never had a crash. It just kind of ended though... bah. Just figured I'd wiegh in on that too. :p