Gotham Knights

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Releases Friday.

I am a sucker for Batman beat 'em ups. I won't be buying it at launch though. Even if it isn't the hot mess Arkham Knight was on launch, I will wait for a sale.

System Requirements for this game are high. For reference as to how demanding it is on hardware: Evidently it will only run at 30fps on Series X and PS5, not even including a 60fps mode, and last gen consoles don't get it.

Minimum requirements for Gotham Knights (60fps / 1080p, low settings)
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K or Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GTX 1660 Ti or Radeon RX 590

Recommended requirements for Gotham Knights (60fps / 1080p, high settings)
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K or Ryzen 5 5600X
RAM: 16GB
GPU: RTX 2070 or Radeon RX 5700XT

The CPU requirements seem goofy. Looking forward to seeing some reviews of how CPU intensive it can be. Based on the info, this game won't scale like Spiderman. 6GB VRAM and relatively fast 6 core CPU is steep.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I am a sucker for Batman beat 'em ups.
Descriptions seem to be listing it as an open world action RPG? I guess some aspects of the combat look kinda beat 'em up, but I was hoping for... a beat 'em up when you said this :(

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Descriptions seem to be listing it as an open world action RPG? I guess some aspects of the combat look kinda beat 'em up, but I was hoping for... a beat 'em up when you said this :(
All of the Arkham games rely heavily on beat 'em up. They are not the pure traditional form, yet it is one of the primary gameplay mechanics. In all of the other Arkham games, there are challenge modes that are 100 percent beat 'em up. I don't know if this one has it or not.

In practice, my play style is wasting hours gliding around and swooping in on gangs to throw them all a beating. So, when not doing story missions, I treat it like one.

Apologies if I dashed your hopes. :p

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This isn't being made by Rocksteady right? Rocksteady instead is working on a Suicide Squad game (which I'm not sure is in the Arkham universe or not).

Anyhow, I've been putting off playing Arkham Knight until my new computer was assembled (and it is) so I could completely side-step any remaining performance issues (and oh lawd does this new build spit out frames in AK at max settings).

So I think I'll just play AK until GK settles in with a few patches, user reviews, DLC etc then pick it up.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
All of the Arkham games rely heavily on beat 'em up. They are not the pure traditional form, yet it is one of the primary gameplay mechanics. In all of the other Arkham games, there are challenge modes that are 100 percent beat 'em up. I don't know if this one has it or not.

In practice, my play style is wasting hours gliding around and swooping in on gangs to throw them all a beating. So, when not doing story missions, I treat it like one.
To me a beat 'em up is Final Fight, River City Ransom, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Streets of Rage, etc.
I've played Arkham Asylum and City, and yes, the fighting does have a satisfying feel to it, but I would not at all describe it as a beat 'em up :)
Apologies if I dashed your hopes. :p
You monster.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This isn't being made by Rocksteady right? Rocksteady instead is working on a Suicide Squad game (which I'm not sure is in the Arkham universe or not).

Anyhow, I've been putting off playing Arkham Knight until my new computer was assembled (and it is) so I could completely side-step any remaining performance issues (and oh lawd does this new build spit out frames in AK at max settings).

So I think I'll just play AK until GK settles in with a few patches, user reviews, DLC etc then pick it up.
You need to look up the Man Bat Halloween easter egg. I don't know if you can do it without spoilers, but if you play on Halloween and have progressed to a certain point in the game, you can experience it. I may be wrong about the progress part, been a long time. I plan to load up a save and play on spooky night myself. I will play on my 3060ti so I can experience the literal PhysX trash flying around. :joycat:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
To me a beat 'em up is Final Fight, River City Ransom, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Streets of Rage, etc.
I've played Arkham Asylum and City, and yes, the fighting does have a satisfying feel to it, but I would not at all describe it as a beat 'em up :)
If you ask a search engine if it is a beat 'em up, it will spit out top lists with Arkham games on them. Perhaps referring to the games you listed as old school beat 'em ups is more on point? Doesn't really matter, I am the Great Deceiver. :smilingimp:

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
@nakedfrog @DAPUNISHER

I personally categorize that genre (Final Fight etc) as "2.5d Beat 'Em Ups" since its all 2D sprites but there is some dimensionality to the combat.

Arkham Games (and their general ilk) I tend to refer to as "Third Person Brawler" although I can see "Beat Em Up" being equally applicable.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Jul 27, 2020
Have you played/enjoyed Oni? It could get pretty hectic if enemies surrounded you from all sides and you could execute cool moves to finish them quickly. I think the way the mouse could be used was the first such control scheme that any PC game with 3rd person view had implemented.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This thread is now about beat 'em ups.

a-surprise-to-be-sure-star-wars.gif

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
On Oni: Looks like one of those games where you had to be there. Aged like warm milk looking at the gameplay. Not my bag baby.

Mother Russia Bleeds is more my speed. My son and I had a great time doing co-op on that one.

Jul 27, 2020
I didn't forget them, they're part of "etc", and I wasn't going to sit here and list every beat 'em up :p
Those "etc" games were my first introduction to graphical games after playing Donkey Kong / Pac Man / Space Invaders / Missile Command on Atari. I couldn't believe we went from Atari to games so fluidly animated!

Did you play Double Dragon Neon? That was a lot of fun.
Thanks! I didn't know DD was resurrected. Looks fantastic!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Those "etc" games were my first introduction to graphical games after playing Donkey Kong / Pac Man / Space Invaders / Missile Command on Atari. I couldn't believe we went from Atari to games so fluidly animated!
I played all those etc games in the arcade (well, and all the ones in this post too), I spent a lot of time in arcades from like 1984-1990 :D

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I played all those etc games in the arcade (well, and all the ones in this post too), I spent a lot of time in arcades from like 1984-1990 :D
I kept going a few years longer. I remember playing through the OG X-Men Arcade with my niece and nephew the day Hurricane Andrew hit Miami. I tried to use the ATM in the mall and it was out of service. Turned out it was due to the storm.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I kept going a few years longer. I remember playing through the OG X-Men Arcade with my niece and nephew the day Hurricane Andrew hit Miami. I tried to use the ATM in the mall and it was out of service. Turned out it was due to the storm.
I would have too, but that was when we moved to Germany, not particularly close to any larger cities that might have had an arcade. Had to satisfy myself with a SNES, but at least the SNES was much better for arcade action than the NES.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Watch a couple of reviews, this game is looking bad. CO-OP might help?

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
My understanding is this is sort of like the Avenger's game in reverse: It was supposed to be a GaaS game for the first half of development but somewhere along the line they realized (maybe after Avengers in fact :p) that they really needed to pivot to single player/story driven gameplay and apparently it shows, bad. Tons of grind and arbitrary progression gating.

Performance on the PC is bad and the game runs like a lame three legged dog on even solid hardware without the visuals to back it up.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER