Got to replace this thermal pad?

orsobubu

Jul 15, 2019
hi, I am attaching photographs of a new thermal pad (Fujipoly/Mod/Smart Extreme X-e) I re-applied a year and a half ago over a chipset due to the replacement of a laptop's motherboard. Do you think the pad current conditions in photo 3 are still OK? Thank you!

1 - dismissed pad:
1.jpg

2 - new pad:
2.jpg

3 - current conditions:
3.jpg

4 - this is for reference from the internet, showing the chipset position under the pad:
6_chipset pad position.jpg

Last edited:

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I always clean and re-grease anything when i remove and replace a chipset, cpu, or gpu heatsink.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
A little more background? Is it overheating or are you just paranoid? As daveybrat mentioned, if you remove the sink, it should be replaced.

orsobubu

Jul 15, 2019
A little more background? Is it overheating or are you just paranoid? As daveybrat mentioned, if you remove the sink, it should be replaced.

thanx mindless1; I don't know if it is overheating, just removing the pc cover to upgrade RAM, I saw the situation depicted in photo n.3, that is, only one year and a half after a replacement (photo n.2), the chipset pad appears broken along the edges about in the same way the original one was broken (photo n.1) and I wonder if this strange shape can compromise the cooling

orsobubu

Jul 15, 2019
I always clean and re-grease anything when i remove and replace a chipset, cpu, or gpu heatsink.

thanx daveybrat, yes and in fact I replaced the pad one year and a half ago when I removed the heatsink; now, I replaced the RAM and didn't need to remove the heatsink, but I saw the pad was already broken along the edges as depicted in photo n.3, so I wonder if the cooling effect is compromised, considering that the original pad was broken along the edges about in the same way (photo n.1)

orsobubu

Jul 15, 2019
https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-4237-...s=thermal+pad&qid=1563644798&s=gateway&sr=8-3

it looks like a .5mm thick pad.
that should work.
You just need to cut it to shape.

Jus to make sure, get a ruler and messure the thickness of the pad where its not compressed.

thanx aigomorla, the pad is 1mm thick; I cutted it in shape one year and a half ago when I removed the heatsink, using same dimensions as the original pad, but now I can see (photo n.3) it is broken along the edges in the same way the original one was broken (photo n.1) so I wonder if thiese slits can compromise the cooling effect

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
so I wonder if thiese slits can compromise the cooling effect

no it means the die edges cut into the pad and has no performance impact.
You shouldnt worry about it too much unless you lifted the pad after it was cut and moved it.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Pressure, heat, and time are supposed to squish it out like that, to result in a thinner layer for a better thermal interface.