Got the Overture case, now I need a new HS...

sodcha0s

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
First of all I recieved the case on Monday and immediately swapped it out with my old HMC case. I am very impressed with the quality of the case and all of it's features. It comes with a True Power 380watt PS and a 92mm Antech smart cool plus exhaust fan. Those 2 items alone almost cover the cost of the entire case. (I paid $104 shipped from Directon) Easy installation, well constructed and plenty of room to work in. The downside is that it is just a bit larger than optimal for it's intent, however one of my requirements was that my new case accept full size ATX boards so there really isn't any getting around that. And I really don't like the look of the front panel. It's really plain and kind of cheap looking, but I think I can fix that up with a nice black paint job. Other than those two points I am very happy with it.

Now on to the HS issue. The case would be very quiet except for my current CPU cooling setup. I'm using a Dr. Thermal HS with a TMD fan which is cooling just fine, but in that case the noise it is producing is very noticable. In fact it's bordering on loud. So I'm looking for a new setup. In my main rig I'm running a SLK800 paired with a YS-Tech adjustable fan which is very nice, but a little on the expensive side. I want to keep the cost at ~ $30 or less. I'm looking at the Aero7+ and the ALX800. Anybody have input on these two, or maybe another option? I'm kinda leaning towards the Aero, but I'm not sure about the noise level with it.

sodcha0s

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
CPU is a T-bred 1400. I have the SVC version of that HS and don't care for it too much..... although the one I have has a VERY cheap single hook clip.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Which HSF is the Dr. Thermal? If it's the V77L, SVC has got their 70-80mm adapters back in. The adapter may even make the excellent V series design work better than it does with the 70mm fans. And the adapter is less drastic so it shouldn't develop as much back pressure as 60-80mm ones do.
.bh.

sodcha0s

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
OK, I came up with something else to try, so far so good. I took the original 70mm fan that came with the HS and cut the fan out of the housing and am using it for a spacer between the HS and the TMD fan. Then I did the 7 volt trick on the fan and that reduced the noise quite a bit. I also cleaned the HS up really well and re-applied some AS3. Running at about 50C idle right now, not great but within reason especially considering the limited airflow of the case.