got the alpha on my P3 1000e, ran a few hours then KABOOM

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I guess I made the mistake of plugging both fans into the power connectors on the mobo, that's all I can figure.
Mobo seems very dead, I pulled the cpu & ram out and they still work fine in my other BX mobo.
Now I am starting to wish I had gone with the AMD 1600+, mobo & ram instead of "simply" replacing the cpu on this box.
I guess I could still sell the cpu with alpha & the ram and probably be just about even...
Just when I started getting ahead on my seti production too :(

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
:Q:(

Were they the YS Tech 27cfm fans? Two of those would definitely be a strain on a single mobo header. :(

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
two sunon 60x25 fans on a really big assed alpha heat sink - just too much for the mobo I guess

Just ordered a A7N266-VM and a 1600+ from Newegg for $123.98 shipped.
Already have a stick of PC2100 DDR for it, now the kids will be upgraded to Geforce2 vid and AMD power and I can sell this P3 alpha combo. I could also sell the PC133 SDRAM I suppose. I may just recoup some of the cash I've laid out yet ;)

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I like the A7N266-VM a lot... got 17 of them in my fleet at work now (one of which is my own) and two more on order! :D They are good for up to at least a 2600+ with the latest BIOS, and they even take Alpha PAL8045's! :D

If you don't have one already, here are a couple of things I found by experience:
  • Install the latest nVidia GeForce drivers over the top of the nForce motherboard drivers for best performance.
  • If installing Win2000, don't be freaked out if you "Press any key to boot from CD" and the display goes out while the Setup runs from CD. Give it a few minutes and it'll pop up at the blue "To set up Windows now..." screen and you're good to go.
  • The manual depicts the 100/133 jumpers upside down, unless the manual's been revised. It comes set for 133/133, so with your 1600+, you won't need to mess with it, but it's good to know about.
  • The motherboard socket's pretty close to the top of the board, so if your PSU is really close, you may want to install the CPU and heatsink before putting the board into the case.
  • There are evidently some hubs and switches that don't like nVidia's onboard LAN for some crazy reason. If it seems not to work, try a PCI NIC.
Have fun! :)

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Thanks Mech, I have my first one here humming along very nice - here is the rundown on my new personal station:

Black mid size Case, silver power & reset buttons (looks classy)
black Lite On DVD rom
black Lite On CDRW 40x12x48
black floppy
60 gb seagate Barracuda
AMD 1800+
768 Megs PC2100 DDR
Geforce2 video onboard, 6 ch sound onboard & lan onboard
Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe tv/fm tuner capture card

Running Win XP pro SP1
Nvidia 31.00 drivers

I'm so happy with it I just bought another! Loading XP was as easy as cake, booted right from the CD & went straight into setup ;)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Hate to hear about what happened with the fans, that's why it's well documented in the Case/Cooling and CPU forums here on why I don't run any fans except the fan on the cpu heatsink evn in 150 degree heat. On the other hand nice to hear you are happy with the A7N266 series and AMD CPU's :D :cool

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I went ahead and put the faster cpu in my wifes machine, I can sell her P3 700e (@933) with slocket & new HSF to someone needing a quick upgrade on an older mobo. That will help offset the cost of the new stuff I ordered tonight.
I Decided to just add the ram to her machine instead of selling it.

Anyway Dave, these were the fans on the heat sink. Just happened to be too much for the old BX mobo and it died.

I have them connected straight to the PS on my wifes machine, should be OK now.

Mech, good idea except I don't know anyone locally with a set up like that for testing my chips.
Thanks for the links ;)

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Yes Dave, that's it in a nutshell.
I think that mobo was probably marginal, and the extra current going through the fan headers was just too much for it.
Motherboard Monitor correctly showed me the cpu temp and both fan speeds, but I didn't have it set to shutdown or anything like that.
Anyway, that cpu is happily crunching away in the wifes machine now and I'll be putting a P3 700e with slocket and brand new HSF all assembled with AS3 up for sale real soon now. Maybe I should assemble all my extra stuff and sell it all in one thread now.
(hmmmm..... I could almost build another pc.... must resist... must resist...)

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Heh - well I ordered another mobo and cpu to upgrade the box that blew up to an AMD 1600+

So I guess with a case and a P3 mobo I would have another one running. SO it comes down to two things...

Can I get another one running here / will the wife murder me in my sleep when she finds out about it???

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Don't get a case for it, stick in a box or something and hide it somewhere (running of course) :p :D :cool:

Do like one guy did, and set up a crack rack in a chest of drawers. How you explain the cooling fans and power supplies for a chest of drawers is up to you, though. Maybe some fancy new anti-moth technology. ;)

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Good idea, how is the diskless seti project coming along?
Anybody got seti running on a floppy yet?
Maybe a PSU, floppy, NIC, vid card and this cpu is all I really need - I have everything except the mobo and a Power Supply.
Just need a mobo that can do the right pci divider at 133 fsb - I wonder where I can pick one up cheap?

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
ShotgunSteve, that would help keep all the clothes nice and dry anyway - mildew protection eh? Sock warmer?

If I can get a mobo, psu, small HDD & NIC I would have a Seti Cracker that does about 4 WU's a day ;)