Got pulled over the other night

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
If a cop asked me if I had a firearm I'd just lie and tell him no and hope he didn't search my car...if I was armed of course.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
If a cop asked me if I had a firearm I'd just lie and tell him no and hope he didn't search my car...if I was armed of course.

If you have a CCW permit, don't you usually have to tell a cop if you're armed?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

If you have a CCW permit, don't you usually have to tell a cop if you're armed?

Depends on state law.

If one gets spotted after you've said you didn't have one, you might be in for a bad day.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
How did he go above and beyond to deserve and "attaboy"? Being respectful, courteous and professional is WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!

Yes, but in the real world most people (including cops) suck at their jobs. This is an especially serious problem with the police, since a bad cop can easily destroy someone's life.

If more people took an active role in identifying and reporting good and bad cops, departments might have an easier time rewarding the good ones and removing the bad ones.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
How did he go above and beyond to deserve and "attaboy"? Being respectful, courteous and professional is WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!

I do the job I am supposed to do but I still like when people recognize it.

What the hell kind of manager would someone be if their employees were always meeting expectations and they never gave them a pat on the back?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Dome light on and hands at 10 & 2 when the officer approaches the car is an almost instant win if you weren't doing anything overly stupid.

Last couple times I was pulled over (at night) I had every one of the officers thank me for that and send me on my way with a polite warning.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Venix

Yes, but in the real world most people (including cops) suck at their jobs. This is an especially serious problem with the police, since a bad cop can easily destroy someone's life.

If more people took an active role in identifying and reporting good and bad cops, departments might have an easier time rewarding the good ones and removing the bad ones.
I just heard on the news last week (didn't catch the full story) of some website that people could go to that allowed them to rate, and I suppose post comments?, police officers. It sort of sounded something like RateMyProfessor.com.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
He followed you for 5 miles and pulled you over for a out lisence plate light? PFFFTTTT.......how does that deserve a letter?

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Boy, I wish they had the same professionalism in Southern Ohio.

I got pulled one night driving from Huntingtion, WV to Ashland, KY (going through Rt. 52 around South Point, OH) in my dad's Jensen CV-8. It is a right-hand drive and I was the only one in the car. After pulling me over, his explanation was that I was weaving and driving too slow. (huh? you get a speeding ticket in that area for going 58 in the 55.)

He asked what kind of car was this and what type of engine, yadda, yadda, yadda. I opened the bonnet and showed him the engine. Another cop car pulls over and they too look at the engine and flash the lights all around the interior. I ask if I am going to get a ticket and he tells me to watch my mouth and asks if I had been drinking. They also ask me why I have an NC license and driving a KY car.

They evenutally let me go with a warning about weaving and my smart mouth. I grew up around that area so I know that complaining about South Point cops is like complaining about the weather.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: MaxDepth
Boy, I wish they had the same professionalism in Southern Ohio.

I got pulled one night driving from Huntingtion, WV to Ashland, KY (going through Rt. 52 around South Point, OH) in my dad's Jensen CV-8. It is a right-hand drive and I was the only one in the car. After pulling me over, his explanation was that I was weaving and driving too slow. (huh? you get a speeding ticket in that area for going 58 in the 55.)

He asked what kind of car was this and what type of engine, yadda, yadda, yadda. I opened the bonnet and showed him the engine. Another cop car pulls over and they too look at the engine and flash the lights all around the interior. I ask if I am going to get a ticket and he tells me to watch my mouth and asks if I had been drinking. They also ask me why I have an NC license and driving a KY car.

They evenutally let me go with a warning about weaving and my smart mouth. I grew up around that area so I know that complaining about South Point cops is like complaining about the weather.

cops like that are the reason why I plan on rigging my cars with cameras and mics when I have the cash.

sutahz

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2007
A compliment letter? Ok you're a reserve cop so you know it can help but the only thing you 2 really did was shoot the shit about guns. He informed you about you're licence plate light being out (which slightly annoyed you).
I guess he didn't shoot you or plant drugs on you so I guess he was 'good' in that way, you're as lucky as 99.9999% of those that get pulled over.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: dethman
i don't understand why he should get a compliment letter.

Professionalism. With some officers, declaring that you have a firearm will get a gun pointed at you. Officer Hutchin's ability to tell the good guys from the bad guys sets him apart.

Hmmm, live in East L.A. do yah? Here in Alaska when you announce you have a firearm in the car when being pulled over, they react exactly like the officer in the OP described.

Good luck with that.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: JohnCU
i thought that said piano police

I hate those fuckers. A $395 citation for being off key. :(
That's nothing!
$175.00 for unpermitted use of a sustain pedal, per occurance!!! :shocked:
Man, you can do a dozen or so in one song!:D

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cool guy. I'm surprised he didn't want to see the firearms were checked/emptied before returning to his car. But I guess the fact that you responded truthfully reassured him.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
In my state they know you have a permit as soon as they run the plate, so they are going to ask, and if you say no, probably going to snoop around to see if you are lying. There is no reason to lie because legally you have the right, so just say yes and let them secure it if they so desire.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Jugernot

Professionalism. With some officers, declaring that you have a firearm will get a gun pointed at you. Officer Hutchin's ability to tell the good guys from the bad guys sets him apart.

Hmmm, live in East L.A. do yah? Here in Alaska when you announce you have a firearm in the car when being pulled over, they react exactly like the officer in the OP described.

Good luck with that.

lol that IS the OP. Good one though.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

It's Texas, I thought they were required to give you a firearm at the state border.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
During my time as a PI in bad neighborhoods late at night driving beater cars meant to blend in I can't tell you how many times I was pulled over by the gendarmes.

And always, as soon as they found out I was a PI the entire demeanor of the stop changed. This is more or less what happened to you, OP. Big deal.

But, yeah, interior lights on, window down, hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel, full documentation, and complete cooperation with the officer is the ONLY way to begin these meetings. I guess that falls under obvious behavior that somehow still needs to be pointed out.

Let me add that playing dumb as to what you did or playing lawyer and arguing with the cop are big no-no's. Cops get lied to all the damn time. They appreciate honesty. I once got pulled over for crossing a double yellow line to pass a car which was doing the legal speed limit while it was snowing.

I was so disgusted with myself that when the cop came up to my (rollled down) window and asked, "Did I know what I was pulled over for?", I simply answered, "I sure do" while handing him my license and registration.

To my immense surprise, after running me (totally clean record), he let me go without so much as even a verbal warning!

One last thing, if it needs to be said. The more of a personal douche the cop seems, the harder he comes on, the MORE polite and cooperative you should be. Often, they eventually calm down. Just the way it is.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: redly
I have a hunch Nebor would be an interesting guy to go out drinking with

Absolutely! There's nothing more entertaining than being in the company of a possibly inebriated, stridently gun fetishistic guy, especially when he pulls out his piece and announces, "The next several rounds are on me!" :p ;)