Got my DOTA2 Invite! How do you like it?

Jabberrwocky

Feb 18, 2012
www.cutrategamer.com
I got my DOTA 2 Invite today! I am very excited to try out the game later tonight. I have only very limited experience with League of Legends and no experience with the original Defense of the Ancients.

What do the veteran DOTA players think of DOTA 2? Do you like it better than LoL and/or the original DOTA?

What do newbs (like myself) think of DOTA 2? Is it easy to pickup? Are there too many choices? How are the tutorials (assuming any exist)?

Are there any good tutorial videos/articles out there?

BergeLSU

Apr 6, 2011
I got my DOTA 2 Invite today! I am very excited to try out the game later tonight. I have only very limited experience with League of Legends and no experience with the original Defense of the Ancients.

What do the veteran DOTA players think of DOTA 2? Do you like it better than LoL and/or the original DOTA?

What do newbs (like myself) think of DOTA 2? Is it easy to pickup? Are there too many choices? How are the tutorials (assuming any exist)?

Are there any good tutorial videos/articles out there?

I've been playing for a few months now, and it is certainly not easy to pick up. Start with some bot games, and don't get upset when your teammates rage at you for feeding when you start playing. You are going to suck at first.

Here's a good starter guide:

Welcome to DOTA, you suck

How to Survive Public Games and Learning Dota with Emotions in Tact, as a Noob.

You are going to feed. You are going to ruin games, and someone is going to be happy to tell you why. As far as I’m concerned, Warcraft3 customs has the most bad mannered, whining, assholes on the gaming internet. The only thing that comes close is Xbox Live. Luckily, with Dota 2, Valve has been making some really great strides to create a better environment for all players involved, which I strongly support, but the point still stands.

You are going to have to have thick skin to play DotA. To get around this major barrier of entry, PLAY AGAINST THE AI's. The AI’s will not rage at you, they won’t care if you feed. They will teach you the heroes by destroying you with them, and no one has to know.

Jabberrwocky

Feb 18, 2012
www.cutrategamer.com
I've been playing for a few months now, and it is certainly not easy to pick up. Start with some bot games, and don't get upset when your teammates rage at you for feeding when you start playing. You are going to suck at first.

Here's a good starter guide:

Welcome to DOTA, you suck

LOL! Love the guides title. Thanks for that.

I have heard a lot of negative things about LoL's community being tough on new players. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case with DOTA2 (though, I am not sure why).

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
All the MOBA/ARTS games have terrible communities. Mainly on the basis that the player-base will likely be under the age of 18 and it's a "team" game, where 1 weak link can be the reason you lost. Competitive games bring out the worst of people (or their true nature some would argue) and being on a team, where YOU were doing extremely well but they were doing extremely poorly and that's why you lose tends to tick people off.

That being said I should play it again sometime, I typically stuck to LoL since I don't know many people who have DOTA 2 and were willing to stick it out through the learning process again :/

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I quit playing DotA2 for the reason that the players are the foulest, most immature trash talking kids ever (even when I was nailing their faces to trees with arrows as WR). It just grated on me. I play games to have fun and blow off some steam with friends. DotA2 just wasn't it for me.

Though I must admit occasionally feeling a bit smug after going on sick sprees with WR...

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Played it for one day, stopped playing, haven't gone back since. I prefer league of legends over this, any day. I was a original DOTA player, but this just reminded me off all the bad thing DOTA actually had going for it.

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
I hate hats. I would gladly hand over $20 to rid free-to-play games of stupid shit like hats.

I would pay Valve money to get rid of hats in TF2, except that I already paid for that game. If anything, Valve owes me money for adding hats into that game.

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
I hate hats. I would gladly hand over $20 to rid free-to-play games of stupid shit like hats.

I would pay Valve money to get rid of hats in TF2, except that I already paid for that game. If anything, Valve owes me money for adding hats into that game.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I played original dota and Heroes of Newerth for years. So dota 2 was very easy for me to pickup (dominated in my first game as Necrolyte). The biggest challenge has been getting used to the shop.

The queues in the game have been annoyingly long (8+ mins). And I'm not having as much fun here as I used to with the aforementioned titled. I guess I'm just not that interested in this genre anymore after playing it for years.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
I'd love to play with someone other than randies. I'm a newb but I've played a few mobas before.
Steam ID; Snock514

Jabberrwocky

Feb 18, 2012
www.cutrategamer.com
Thanks for the input.

Played my first DOTA 2 game with a friend (who is also learning the game). We both had fun. I played as the Dragon Knight and enjoyed transforming into a dragon. I think I will enjoy playing co-op with friends. Not sure I will get too competitive.

The only other aspect of this game that might keep me from playing much is that it took nearly an hour to finish and I can't walk away or log out without hurting my team. I generally stay away from games that require that kind of commitment.

Leopardos

Jul 15, 2009
Where could i check if i recive the invite?

I registered using steam and then redirected to DOTA 2 website, but i cant remmber that i had to put my email..

any idea?

Paulenski

Oct 19, 2011
I tried playing it a few times but never liked the slower feeling gameplay and the shop is just to confusing.

I've been playing LoL since launch, i just like the focus and item building that it has over dota2.

Dota2 wins in aspect of artwork and graphics but i prefer LoL.

about immature players, they exist in all games.

Sent from my Sensation 4G VI 4.0.2 with Tapatalk 2

Jabberrwocky

Feb 18, 2012
www.cutrategamer.com
Where could i check if i recive the invite?

I registered using steam and then redirected to DOTA 2 website, but i cant remmber that i had to put my email..

any idea?

You should get the invite in via the email that you have listed on your Steam account. They do not request your email when you register for the beta.

Keep your eyes peeled. My wife is waiting for her invite, too.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Dota has 108 champs? :O
And i thought the no. of champs in LOL seemed daunting. But i'm really excited about it, so will definitely give it a go when it comes out.