Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
and if I vote yes, am I voting that it's not nifty or that it is nifty? :confused:

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Shawn
and if I vote yes, am I voting that it's not nifty or that it is nifty? :confused:

Ummm... I don't really know. I guess thats what the pie is for, every one love apple pie!

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
please tell me how you did that, did you sit there waiting for it to strike? what setting for camera to capture that?

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
I was using a Cannon S1 IS (crappy camera) and a tripod. I just messed with the shutter speed and the apeture, don't rember what I had it set at for this shot. Didn't even know I got the shot untill I got it onto my computer.

Take the shot and hope that one strikes in frame and you got the settings right.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
Originally posted by: zaku
please tell me how you did that, did you sit there waiting for it to strike? what setting for camera to capture that?

Fast shutter speed, burst shots, focus set at infinity.

Or,

Very slow shutter speed, focus set at infinity.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Pretty cool, but could be better if you can shoot bulb mode, F5.6 to F8 (you would think that a larger apeture like 2.0 would let more light in, well, it does, however, when the lighting strikes and you release the shutter from bulb you will get a light-washed picture). But, it also depends on how you want to capture the lightning bolt.

I've shot lightning photos on an old film Pentax ME Super and have great results at F5.6 to F8 with a 50mm prime lens shooting in bulb mode with 200 speed film. Ideally, you would want to use slide film. What I do is hold the shutter open (camera has to be on tripod; i also use a cable release), then when a lightning strike occurs, immediately close the shutter, unless i am trying to capture multiple bolts in one frame.

This website explains hot to shoot lightning pretty well.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
i hear you use a longer exposure and hope you get it :p do share technique (and if you have sorry i haven't read the whole thread, to impressed with the pic and wanted to respond).