Question Got an X58 rig running as media box

Nov 26, 2005
My X58 rig is being put to use as a media box. I'm a little concerned about the NB temps hovering around 70*c, and my Vreg can hit up to 80-90*c if I don't have active cooling on it. Is the NB ok to run that hot on average or should I build another AM4 system to replace it? All I would need is a CPU and MB

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
If it's sitting idle the temps should be lower.

My ADL server setup sits under 30C most of the time and under load hits ~53C w/ a tower cooler.

Laptop ADL also sits around 40C idle and might get up to mid 60C under sustained load.

I would probably start out looking to make sure the cooler is clamped down properly / fans are working / maybe swap the thermal paste or use a graphite pad instead.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I have no idea what NB / VREG are that you're talking about.

I'm telling you the temps I see on my CPU which is usually what people discuss when they bring up temps or their GPU.

I'm taking a stab in the dark and guessing you're talking about one of these?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
What x58 mobo are you running? I have an MSI x58 Pro that ran pretty hot until I added a small cooler to it. It still runs around mid 70s while gaming or folding. But it runs 24/7 without any issues on an overclocked i7-920 @ 3.6GHz.

Reactions: Shmee

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
My X58 rig is being put to use as a media box. I'm a little concerned about the NB temps hovering around 70*c, and my Vreg can hit up to 80-90*c if I don't have active cooling on it. Is the NB ok to run that hot on average or should I build another AM4 system to replace it? All I would need is a CPU and MB
What do you mean by "media box"?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would think 70C is ok for the north bridge, but I am not sure. 80C+ sounds a bit high, but the voltage regulators can run hotter in general on a lot of boards if I remember correctly. I would look up to see what is recommended for your board or the X58 chipset in general.

I would like to know though, what board, what CPU, and what RAM at what voltage/settings? Also what load is this at?

As for running at a lower temperature, I would look into repasting the chipset cooler, or adding some sort of chipset fan or something.

Reactions: VirtualLarry
Nov 26, 2005
I have 2, a UD7 (not in use) and the Classified. The Classified is the one in the media / movie streamer box. I know, overkill for streaming but I'm just playing and putting it to use.

I know these run hot I just wasn't sure if ~70*c for the NB was above average with them When I ran it for gaming I always had at-least 4 fans around the CPU, one resting on the GPU for the NB, and one under the GPU for the SB. I know the Vregs shouldn't be that hot (~90*c) at idle. I did jiggle the cooler over them and it is loose however a fan over the Vregs drops the temps by around 30*c to around 56*c I just don't want to tear it apart and look into screwing around with all that work. Maybe I will, I don't know.

It's got a W3690 in it with HT off, Perfect Storm RAM kit 3x2GB. I've set most things in the bios to auto and tilted settings a little towards low power use efficiency. It'll never do heavy use again. Just running movies to my TV

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Oh wow both of those are nice boards. I really liked the UD5, I have one in my NAS.

Nov 26, 2005
Thanks. Yeah they were stellar boards. I tried swapping the SSD 2.5" drive I'm using on the Classified onto the UD7 because it's 99% ready to run, all it needs is an OS, hence the drive swap, but I ran into trouble booting. I was thinking the UD7 would be the better board but I didn't push the trouble shooting. I was in the middle of upgrading 1 rig with a power supply and shifting the used ones down the PC machine chain. 3 swap outs and one upgrade. By the time you get down with one: working out all the kinks, monitoring temps, adjusting fan placements, testing etc. it can take all day, lol

I should have kept the 5800X i pulled from my game rig. Could of just bought another board and not worried about all of this and would of had a better backup rig. Plus the board my local MC has that I want is an X570 Xtreme open box but they ran out of their 5800X3D which I would of used to replace my 5800X in my daily rig and then shifted the X to the media box. i sat thinking half the day about buying the last 3D That's how long it lasted before it sold, lol, damn it!

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Well just about any new rig will certainly be better than the x58 in regards to efficiency and thermals. But that's the easy route! I like using stuff that still works if it can handle the job. My UnRAID server is an Athlon 64 3000+, 1.8GHz socket 939 rig with like 2GB of RAM. Does what I need it to do though.

Reactions: Magic Carpet

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I use my X58 rig as an HTPC. Been doing that for over 5 years. I don't game on it so the GPU is able to transcode x265 natively. Like to throw up whatever and have it work.

HTfBXcU.jpeg

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I use my X58 rig as an HTPC. Been doing that for over 5 years. I don't game on it so the GPU is able to transcode x265 natively. Like to throw up whatever and have it work.

HTfBXcU.jpeg
People can forget how much trouble it used to be to cable manage due to case layouts. You did a good job considering. Makes me slightly wistful for the X79 I had.

Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
People can forget how much trouble it used to be to cable manage due to case layouts. You did a good job considering. Makes me slightly wistful for the X79 I had.
I appreciate that. We'd like to think that we get better in our skills over time. The HTPC automatically boots into Kodi and I control it with my smartphone. Don't have the time to play with it like I used to.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
@bigboxes what's your NB temps?
Hey bud. I've got my own emergency here. My UPS started giving me an error this morning. Turns out this is a fatal charging issue. That sucks because I just bought new batteries a year ago. They usually die out after 3 years. I still have two years left on them. I just ordered a new replacement UPS. Won't get it here until Saturday. Looks like I got to figure out how to keep all the networking equipment up and running. I was expecting to troubleshoot the issue. Just wasn't expecting to have to replace the unit. I got an identical one that I use on the home server. Guess I can do without the server for a few days. Not mission critical.

tl:dr I'll check on the NB temps when I get a chance. :cool:

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN
Nov 26, 2005
Hey bud. I've got my own emergency here. My UPS started giving me an error this morning. Turns out this is a fatal charging issue. That sucks because I just bought new batteries a year ago. They usually die out after 3 years. I still have two years left on them. I just ordered a new replacement UPS. Won't get it here until Saturday. Looks like I got to figure out how to keep all the networking equipment up and running. I was expecting to troubleshoot the issue. Just wasn't expecting to have to replace the unit. I got an identical one that I use on the home server. Guess I can do without the server for a few days. Not mission critical.

tl:dr I'll check on the NB temps when I get a chance. :cool:

Awe man, that sucks, yeah take care of your gear, no worries, good luck!

Nov 26, 2005
Swapped the SSD drive from my Classified to the UD7 and if I'm reading hwinfo64 correctly the IOH/NB is sitting around 43*c Looks like I gotta either swap out boards or pull the Classified and take a closer look at the chipset heatsinks. Got-bless-it

EDIT: gonna go through the bios first and make sure no mistakes were made

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I use to do it with a silverstone case and it worked well just used alot of power. I've since retired that rig which serves me well for an andriod box doing the same thing with about 1/5 the power usage and way less heat output.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN