got a speeding ticket

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
Last night I was clipping along at about 85mph on the freeway (183) through Irving. I look over on the service road and see there's an Irving police officer pacing me. I look at him with this "oh sh!t" look and he points at me. Then he starts to speed up and turns on his lights. I happened to know that there wasn't an onramp for about 1.5 miles.

Reached over, clicked to 1.5 bar, by the time he got to the onramp I was probably 5 miles down the freeway. Bwahahaha.

so you speed up to run away from the cop?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Last night I was clipping along at about 85mph on the freeway (183) through Irving. I look over on the service road and see there's an Irving police officer pacing me. I look at him with this "oh sh!t" look and he points at me. Then he starts to speed up and turns on his lights. I happened to know that there wasn't an onramp for about 1.5 miles.

Reached over, clicked to 1.5 bar, by the time he got to the onramp I was probably 5 miles down the freeway. Bwahahaha.

Right, you were going 3 times as fast as him, sure.

Oct 20, 2005

what does "clicked to 1.5 bar" mean?

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
maybe his speedometer is 1, 2, 3... 10 bars in stead of 10, 20, 30... 100 mph

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Schfifty Five

what does "clicked to 1.5 bar" mean?

I'm not a car guy, but isn't bar a measure of pressure? So it could have something to do with a turbo?

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Just show up on the court date with your fee's in hand. They will reduce it to under 10 miles over the speed limit. It will be a "ghost ticket" as far as insurance is concerned. And get your winshield fixed also.

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
Originally posted by: toant103
i think he was mad that i passed him at 65 MPH.

He's actually slowing down the damn highway.

Duh. Never pass a cop. Ever.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Negative, I was just speeding. It wasn't clear whether or not he was trying to get on the highway to come after me, or perhaps he turned on his lights to respond to some sort of emergency.

And when I said 1.5 bar, I was referring to my electronic boost controller, which controls the turbo. And I was doing a GPS recorded 166mph at one point of my flight. Not quite 3 times his speed initially, but he fell back pretty fast.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006

Negative, I was just speeding. It wasn't clear whether or not he was trying to get on the highway to come after me, or perhaps he turned on his lights to respond to some sort of emergency.

And when I said 1.5 bar, I was referring to my electronic boost controller, which controls the turbo. And I was doing a GPS recorded 166mph at one point of my flight. Not quite 3 times his speed initially, but he fell back pretty fast.

LOL...turned up his boost to run away from the cop.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
I guess i was being stupid, everyone saw the state trooper on the highway cruising at 55MPH so everyone slow down. Traffic was flowing at 65 MPH before I saw the state trooper. I was the only one that didn't slow down, doing 65 MPH. He also gave me a ticket for my cracked windshield.

What a day.

Speed limit here is 65mph... and everyone does 70-100mph. Illinois... FTW!

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002

What were you driving?

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I got nailed on I95 north of Richmond one July 4th. Cop said he clocked me at 93mph but wrote me a ticket for 74mph and warned me to just pay and don't bother going to court or he'll slap me with reckless then and up the ticket back to 93mph. I said thanks and paid the ticket.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003

Holy crap! That sounds reckless, but I'm sure you and your car are uber-1337

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: DeviousTrap

What were you driving?

Volvo S70 T5. A few mods. ;) It's my highway blaster.

I've always got the Lightning for any street fighting that needs to take place.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Mermaidman

Holy crap! That sounds reckless, but I'm sure you and your car are uber-1337

Road was virtually empty. It was pretty late at night. We're talking about a 3 lane each way superhighway.

mjh

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2005

Passing a cop while he is setting the pace of traffic on the highway is not a good idea. I hope your insurance doesn't go up too much. Live and learn.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Man that sucks. I know I've gone 75 in a 55 with an officer behind me on a few occasions and they didn't do anything.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: BEL6772
Originally posted by: Mike
I once came up on what I thought was a CHP cruiser going 100 mph. It was late at night and there were other cars on the freeway, and this guy didn't have any lights on the top, but I noticed large #s painted on the trunk. Slowed waaay down of course, but I thought I was a dead man. Followed behind for 15 more miles doing 65mph, finally finding out it was just local PD.

I hate drivers that slow down to 65mph(limit) or less when local PD is on the freeway. They have better things to do, unless you're going 80mph, they don't give a sh!t.

Around here the local PD actually set up speed traps on the freeway ... good source of revenue I guess.

That or they are trying to keep speeds reasonable. I'd rather write tickets all day then go to a traffic accident scene. And statistics do clearly show that faster speeds mean more deaths, whether its high speeds or low speeds.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: mjh

Passing a cop while he is setting the pace of traffic on the highway is not a good idea. I hope your insurance doesn't go up too much. Live and learn.

you can say that. But i just hated when people see a cop, they have to slow down. yes, I have to admit that i always drive 10 mile over the posted speed limit. Never got a ticket before, until now.

I pass many police officer before doing 10 miles over the limit. I guess it's not my day