Got a problem.....

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
.....and the Technical Support forum is running kinda slowwwww.

I just formatted my other computer, a dinky little 386, and reinstalled DOS, and Windows 3.11. I'm attempting to install software which requires the use of the internal modem, but the software cannot detect the modem, which is on Com 4. It seems that when I reformatted, it must have wiped the port address I had previously established for Com 4 (this happened the first time I reformatted it several years ago & some guy from Cleveland helped me establish the existence of Com 4, but stupid me didn't write down the instructions:eek:.....)

Can anyone briefly outline how I might establish Com 4's existence? Like a short list of instructions or something? I would really appreciate it. Thanks, -kd5-

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Try either running 98, or even better, Linux. *nix is better suited for that kinda hardware anyway, IMHO.

Aside from that, I can't really help ya out without being able to see, visually, what is going on.

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
Hmm.... I dunno either try out linux but COM4 isn't really a real com port its a virual one so if that helps you out then great otherwise I'm sorry I couldn't help you out more.