got a laptop from a friend, all the ribbon cables are yanked out

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
and to make matters worse super glue was used to hold one of the ribbons down.
The keyboard, power, and another cable are undone.
The keyboard retainer is lost and some of the others are also.
What can I do to fix it all?
Thank you

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Very first question I would ask: is it worth it!

Do you have a model number?

J-Acito

Sep 10, 2014
It seems to me that you did not get a laptop from a friend. In fact, what you got, is a boat anchor. It will most likely cost close to or even more that a new one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Very first question I would ask: is it worth it!

Do you have a model number?

+1

Problem is, you can't discount the possibility that whomever did all this to the laptop didn't damage something. It might not even work if you replace all the missing parts. About the only way I think you could try it is to maybe buy a dead laptop of the same model on eBay and use yours for replacement parts to try to get it working.

In the long run, you'd probably be better off parting this out on eBay and putting your money towards a new laptop.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
+1

Problem is, you can't discount the possibility that whomever did all this to the laptop didn't damage something. It might not even work if you replace all the missing parts. About the only way I think you could try it is to maybe buy a dead laptop of the same model on eBay and use yours for replacement parts to try to get it working.

In the long run, you'd probably be better off parting this out on eBay and putting your money towards a new laptop.

As you guys have pointed out, it probably isn't, just curious if it is somewhere close (i7, high-end graphics, etc).