Got a "fake" bill at Rite-Aid..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
go back to Rite Aid and buy a pack of gum. obviously they don't check.
:laugh:

As I understand it, finding out that you've been given a counterfeit bill is kind of a no-win situation. I think the government/bank/whatever simply confiscates the bill, and you get nothing in return, except for that warm feeling of doing the right thing, which is quickly cooled by the fact that you're now out the money through no fault of your own.

Originally posted by: Kadarin
The right thing to do is to take it to a bank. If you're out $20, you're out $20.
Please send me $20.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
go back to Rite Aid and buy a pack of gum. obviously they don't check.
:laugh:

As I understand it, finding out that you've been given a counterfeit bill is kind of a no-win situation. I think the government/bank/whatever simply confiscates the bill, and you get nothing in return, except for that warm feeling of doing the right thing, which is quickly cooled by the fact that you're now out the money through no fault of your own.

a
The right thing to do is to take it to a bank. If you're out $20, you're out $20.
Please send me $20.

Nice to know you can be hired to do the right thing.

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
How come nobody has mentioned the BLOODY MURDER that apparently occurred in this Rite Aid? Holy shit!

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
go get $20 of gas.. they dont even check.. people give them 20's all day.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Twista
go get $20 of gas.. they dont even check.. people give them 20's all day.

Depends on where you live.
Here there is a large illegal population, they check every 20,50,100.
Some stores have lights, others use the pens.

Still the pens can and do check ok on some counterfits.
The pens pick up starches in paper money.
Real money is a linen base not wood, thats why you can wash it.
So the counterfitters got smart, they started bleaching 1.00 bills and printing on those.
Those will pass the pen check.

Best check is the light check and looking for the stripe embedded in the paper.
You can buy a uv light that goes on a keyring, some of the ink will glow.
Or you can hold the bill up to the light and there is a watermark that will appear when you look through it thats not there when looking at it normally.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Isn't it amazing how many people we have here that are experts on whether someone will go to prison for a crime, even though none of them have passed the bar exam? Buncha damn ambulance chasers! ;)

Here's an idea. Go somewhere where there's a change machine that takes $20 bills, and use it there. The worst that will happen is that it's so fake the machine won't take it.......unless you end up with a handful of plugged nickels!! :laugh:

Self serve car wash or Chuck-E-Cheese, FTW!!

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000

id take it to the police before i took it to a bank, thats probably where its going to wind up anyway so the secret service can have it, thats their job, if i recall.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
i've had a gas station use a sharpie as the bill checker and then try to confiscate my "counterfeit" bill. i was quick to point out their bunk testing system.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: theman
How come nobody has mentioned the BLOODY MURDER that apparently occurred in this Rite Aid? Holy shit!

uhhh, a homeless man dropped a bottle of wine.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Best check is the light check and looking for the stripe embedded in the paper.
You can buy a uv light that goes on a keyring, some of the ink will glow.
Or you can hold the bill up to the light and there is a watermark that will appear when you look through it thats not there when looking at it normally.

Even that isn't foolproof. I've seen plenty of counterfeit hundreds that had a watermark and $100 stripe in them.

The most foolproof way I found while I was a teller...was the color changing ink. I never saw a fake bill which had the ink that changed color.

Boo Boo

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
take it to your local FBI office , put it in a plastic bag. or you can call the secret service

FRESNO 559-487-5204

LOS ANGELES 213-894-4830

RIVERSIDE 951-276-6781

SACRAMENTO 916-930-2130

SAN DIEGO 619-557-5640

SAN FRANCISCO 415-744-9026

SAN JOSE 408-535-5288

SANTA ANA 714-246-8257

VENTURA 805-339-9180

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: yamadakun
Originally posted by: RKS
How does Rite-Aid know which $20 they gave you? Take it to a bank and let them know where you got the fake.

How does taking it to the bank help? :confused:

The bank will be able to tell for sure if it's counterfeit or not...probably MUCH more accurately than some small viet-run sandwich shop.

True and not true, depending on the shop. Handling money all day I can say that it's usually very easy to spot a fake, I'm talking fake Canadian money though. You should be able to tell yourself with most fakes as most fakes are not professionally done but printed off some kids ink jet to see if they could get away with it. I've only seen 1 or 2 good fakes that made me do a double take in the 3 years I've been working retail. Most you can spot at first glance.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
As mentioned, the iodine pens are just checking for starch. I recall some counterfeiting expert years ago talking about how poor the anti-counterfeit schemes were on US currency (before the changes) and to make a point, he was spraying starch on every bill that went through his hands. So, if it really looks legitimate and its a false positive, just give it a good wash.