Got a catch 22 situation

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
I have insurance through my employer. Adding my wife would make it INSANELY high (read can't pay other bills high). My wife has insurance through her employer. Arthritis has affected her knee badly (she is younger, but it is hereditary rhematoid). She is not a candidate for surgery per 2 surgeons due to other reasons.

My wife is a checker at a supermarket. She has been for years, makes decent money and has insurance. She has got to the point where she needs a stool at the checkout stand. She is afraid if she asks her bosses they'll 'cut' her hours and get rid of her as a liability. We are in 'at will' state.

She would only sit when there was no customers, but she needs some time where she isn't on her knee. What are rules about this? Can she ask to be accomadated without fear in your opinion?

It is pretty bad per the doctors. In fact, they wonder how she makes do on it.

Another question - how do we get doctors to 'REALLY' treat the pain? I get more powerful pain meds if I have a tooth drilled.

She has bone on bone rubbing and they act like it is a sin to stop her from being in pain? She needs some pain medications that don't make her 'loopy'. I know they exist.

We are not rich, just barely making it in fact - so keep that in mind.

Finally, with this getting worse - how do you navigate the maze of getting disability benefits? Would it cover something like this?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
is it a larger chain grocery store?
i know i have seen checkers at Target and Walmart on stools, any large Corp.'s HR dept should allow for this i think

a smaller "family" run store, they might retaliate

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Has she tried cortisol?

Yes. If it is a standard treatment, she has had it, and it has eventually failed. She has had the rooster comb stuff injected into the knee directly as well. It worked for a while, but that has failed now too.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: episodic
I have insurance through my employer. Adding my wife would make it INSANELY high (read can't pay other bills high). My wife has insurance through her employer. Arthritis has affected her knee badly (she is younger, but it is hereditary rhematoid). She is not a candidate for surgery per 2 surgeons due to other reasons.

My wife is a checker at a supermarket. She has been for years, makes decent money and has insurance. She has got to the point where she needs a stool at the checkout stand. She is afraid if she asks her bosses they'll 'cut' her hours and get rid of her as a liability. We are in 'at will' state.

She would only sit when there was no customers, but she needs some time where she isn't on her knee. What are rules about this? Can she ask to be accomadated without fear in your opinion?

Another question - how do we get doctors to 'REALLY' treat the pain? I get more powerful pain meds if I have a tooth drilled.

She has bone on bone rubbing and they act like it is a sin to stop her from being in pain? She needs some pain medications that don't make her 'loopy'. I know they exist.

Finally, with this getting worse - how do you navigate the maze of getting disability benefits? Would it cover something like this?

Pain meds that don't alter your state-of-being? Other than the general "run-of-the mill" OTC meds I don't think there are any...if there were then I doubt Docs would prescribe Vicodin, Percocet, Methadone, etc...etc....

As far as your other question. She may qualify under the ADA...and something like a stool certainly would seem like a reasonable accomodation. I'd google ADA and see what you can you can find.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I think she could be sued if they do that to her. They should be accomidating to your wife's needs.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet

Pain meds that don't alter your state-of-being? Other than the general "run-of-the mill" OTC meds I don't think there are any...if there were then I doubt Docs would prescribe Vicodin, Percocet, Methadone, etc...etc....

As far as your other question. She may qualify under the ADA...and something like a stool certainly would seem like a reasonable accomodation. I'd google ADA and see what you can you can find.

She can't seem to get anything more powerful than an NSAID from the doctors. Some of what you named would probably help.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
wow, I thought Corticosteroid shot was the most effective treatment. My dad has the shot on his shoulder about once every other year. He loves it since it erases virtually all pain (of course, you must follow all of the doc's instructions in term of activities and treatment for the next 2-3 days).

I heard some people take it 2-3 times a year.

EDIT: oh and yes..get a 2nd opinion asap.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Baloo
I would hope she's not just taking pain meds, but an anti-inflamatory as well. See another doctor.

Yes, of course. Medicine wise other than pain meds, she has a few things - anti inflammatories is one. We've seen over 10, with all in agreement (cept for the pain med thing).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Anti-inflammatories would be the best bet. She's going to have to be declared disabled to get special perks esp in a job like checkout or retail where many are just looking for a way to work less and get paid more.

She should talk to her boss and let the boss know that she can handle the job but she'd me more comfortable sitting between checkouts.

Still IMHO as a manager her sitting would probably have customers confused if she was open or not.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Anti-inflammatories would be the best bet. She's going to have to be declared disabled to get special perks esp in a job like checkout or retail where many are just looking for a way to work less and get paid more.

She should talk to her boss and let the boss know that she can handle the job but she'd me more comfortable sitting between checkouts.

Still IMHO as a manager her sitting would probably have customers confused if she was open or not.

Most of the time there is 1 checker 2 max - it isn't hard to figure out.

This is what is confusing. What does it take to be DECLARED disabled. Who declares it? It isn't the social security office, they say she has to be out of work many months to be declared disabled. Obviously with no job - would come no insurance - not to mention we need her income.

Does her doctor write a note - hey she's disabled?

Who is the disabled declarer?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

I can tell you from family experience, getting disability money can take years of playing paperwork-tag, with a disability lawyer's help, and probably a lot of doctor visits.

SsupernovaE

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2006
What state do you live in?

If you are not an alcoholic or drug user, it can be very difficult to get disability. I am overqualified for it (I am basically paralyzed from the neck down by muscular dystrophy) and I was denied the first two times. It took a lawyer to eventually get approved. Does your state to have some sort of Department of Rehabilitation? You need to find out from a lawyer what the minimum standards for qualification for disability are.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
First get your wifes condition classified as a disability by your doctor. File with the feds and go through the steps the put you through (easily a year of bullshit).
Have her ask for a stool and explain her situation. If they fire her for asking for a stool then they will be violating the ADA and asking for a lawsuit.
You definitely need guideance and you're not going to get it here. You should be dealing with your doctor and a federal social worker.
My mother went through the whole disability thing for the past few years for her MS. She did not need a lawyer and got through it with her doctor and the federal workers.
There are certain conditions that basically automatically qualify for disability. I can almost guarantee the first claim will be rejected, but you keep on going at it.

For a painkiller, try ultracet, it's non-narcotic and it works well. The reality is that with rhematoid arthritis she is eventually going to need to be treated with a pain management specalist. She is going to require narcotic pain killers. I was in treatment with a person who has severe rhematoid and there is very few options at this point. Although they are working on alternatives, the current standard is pain management.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: SampSon
First get your wifes condition classified as a disability by your doctor. File with the feds and go through the steps the put you through (easily a year of bullshit).
Have her ask for a stool and explain her situation. If they fire her for asking for a stool then they will be violating the ADA and asking for a lawsuit.
You definitely need guideance and you're not going to get it here. You should be dealing with your doctor and a federal social worker.
My mother went through the whole disability thing for the past few years for her MS. She did not need a lawyer and got through it with her doctor and the federal workers.
There are certain conditions that basically automatically qualify for disability. I can almost guarantee the first claim will be rejected, but you keep on going at it.

For a painkiller, try ultracet, it's non-narcotic and it works well. The reality is that with rhematoid arthritis she is eventually going to need to be treated with a pain management specalist. She is going to require narcotic pain killers. I was in treatment with a person who has severe rhematoid and there is very few options at this point. Although they are working on alternatives, the current standard is pain management.

:thumbsup: good post

Also, get a new doctor. Tell the new doctor right upfront that the reason you are seeking a new doctor is that the treatment prescribed by your previous doctor did not do any good and their version of pain management was non-existent.
She should have told her doctor this when she wasn't satisfied with his treatment. It's amazing how a doctors will change their stubborn, cold shouldered approach to a patient when you ask for a copy of your file so you can seek a new doctor.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001

yeah they will be violating ADA if they sack her.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Most of the time there is 1 checker 2 max - it isn't hard to figure out.

This is what is confusing. What does it take to be DECLARED disabled. Who declares it? It isn't the social security office, they say she has to be out of work many months to be declared disabled. Obviously with no job - would come no insurance - not to mention we need her income.

Does her doctor write a note - hey she's disabled?

Who is the disabled declarer?

In regards to the checkout situation...you looking at it it's obvious...but a customer is going to be confused. Even when checkers are cleaning their rollers, customers aren't sure...

Disability is multi-faceted.

You have your doctor first. Without that she is just one of many crying that they cannot work fully. Now that said, not all jobs have to cater to the disabled. I am not sure if her's is one of them or not...I haven't seen many bagboys or checkers in wheelchairs, blind, deaf, etc....

Now doctor alone should be enough for accommodation at work. If she wants payment for her disability or the official government designation she will need a case worker/lawyer. They will know who's doors to knock on in your area and get you in court.

Usually the first go around is denied...it's more or less to weed out the thousands of people doing this.

Some states have max. caps your lawyer can charge in a disability case, here I believe it's $1500. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but to someone that hasn't been able to work fully and more than likely not insured fully, it's money they often don't have.

Good luck with it.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004

She is taking ultracet now. She says it might as well be aspirin. It does nothing.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Summit

yeah they will be violating ADA if they sack her.

Most likely yes, unless they can prove that allowing a checker to use a stool is not a reasonable accomodation.