Oct 9, 1999
but am concerned on shedding... do all cats shed? some more so than others?

they will be inside cats.

update:

got one saturday for $25 at the animal shelter, plan on getting another one within the next few weeks. she's a calico. i have pictures but don't have the net at my house right now so no pics for now=/

thanks for the info

L

Lola

I think most all cats do at some point, mostly in the spring/summer no? the only ones i know that don't are the hairless ones.
of course the short haired cats will not be as bad, but if you vacuum a few times a week, it shouldnt be that bad! Plus, i think if you use a hepa filter in your furnace it helps too!
good for you for adopting kitties!

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I'm fairly certain all cats shed. Some cats shed more than others. Short hairs shed the least generally because they have less hair to shed. Even among short haired cats you will find a wide variety of shedding-ness.

High quality food can really help the quality of a cat's coat.

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
if you groom them frequently, the shedding might be kept to a minimum.

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
All cats shed to a degree. Regular brushing will help keep it under control to a certain extent. BTW if possible I highly recommend getting an abyssinian . Kind of like a siemese without the psycho gene. That's my dream cat, but until the bf's allergies get better, it's the pug.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NissanGurl
All cats shed to a degree. Regular brushing will help keep it under control to a certain extent. BTW if possible I highly recommend getting an abyssinian . Kind of like a siemese without the psycho gene. That's my dream cat, but until the bf's allergies get better, it's the pug.

cool looking cat but doubt the pound has any?

shabazkilla

Feb 23, 2004
As other have stated, shorthairs generally don't shed as much as longhaired cats. Generally it isn't a problem.

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: DP

They most likely won't, but sometimes you get lucky :). Pound kitties are normally the best anyhow....just one day I would LOVE to be part of a rescue circle for those cats. I grew up in a house that had a max # of 9 cats at once, pretty much all indoor cats. To be fair we normally left the backdoor cracked so they could come and go.

Good luck with the cats!

Edit: oh yeah, remember to spay/nueter (from the pound you don't have to worry about that)

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: DP

meh. Just go to the pound and find one that has a personality that you like.

I like cats that play rough and aren't timid at all, so my general strategy has been to find teh craziest kitten and the pound. Keep in mind that kittens will settle down a lot as they get older.