Got a call from Sprint, I suspect it's a scam

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Someone called my cellphone from a PA number. Guy had a thick Indian accent and told me he was calling from Sprint together with Nextel. He kept offering me upgrade plans, kept asking how much my last bill was. I'm confident Sprint knows how much it was. He asked me if I use a laptop because they have great wireless plans, etc. The call just didn't sound professional, and I told him that. Sprint has never called me cell before. I hung up on him without giving any info. I tried calling the number back and got a busy signal. Weird. They knew my name and cell number.

Here's the scary part. After I hung up I called the number on Sprint's website to report it. The woman who answered also had an accent and started asking me the same questions! Freaked me out. I told her I dont want another plan, I just want to report the call, but she kept pushing a plan on me. I'm now totally confused.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
They want you to agree to change anything about your existing situation with them as that will trigger you to enter into a renewed 1yr or 2yr contract cycle.

Even changing from paper billing to online billing can trigger them to claim you voluntarily agreed to re-up your contract.

It is a legal scam, welcome to the Sprint family.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Idontcare
They want you to agree to change anything about your existing situation with them as that will trigger you to enter into a renewed 1yr or 2yr contract cycle.

Even changing from paper billing to online billing can trigger them to claim you voluntarily agreed to re-up your contract.

I'm almost positive the call itself was a scam. It just didnt sound real. I'm with Sprint for over a year already, and I was with Nextel before that. They never called me on my cell.

I had to hang up on the customer service rep. as well. I told her more than once I dont want to change my plan, I'm just calling to report this phone call. It was as if she didn't hear me and just kept plowing ahead with all my "options".

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

Sprint pulled this on my wife. They didnt even tell us the contract was renewed. When we cancelled the plan, we got hit up for the cancellation fee. When I called, they told me that they have a 3rd party verification service that verifies the customer was told the contract was being renewed. When I asked them to present this verification to me, they told me they couldnt do that, so I said fuck em'. I absolutely refused to pay it, and they mailed out collections letters for 2 years, dropping the amount owed a little bit each time trying to get any amount they could. It was on my wifes credit which we dont use, and it didnt really affect it that much. Sprint can rot in hell.

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence

I'm almost positive the call itself was a scam. It just didnt sound real. I'm with Sprint for over a year already, and I was with Nextel before that. They never called me on my cell.

I had to hang up on the customer service rep. as well. I told her more than once I dont want to change my plan, I'm just calling to report this phone call. It was as if she didn't hear me and just kept plowing ahead with all my "options".

I have been with Nextel for 6 years and I've received calls from them on my cell to discuss my account. I never once considered the calls to be a scam. I wish they would fix their broke-dick site. Ever since they switched to Sprint I have not been able to shop on their site to look at new phones or cell plans.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
they do that to me all the time. it's funny when they offer me a crappier phone than what i have, with a crappier plan than what i have, for more money than what i currently pay. 'but you could have a second line!' 'you could have more minutes!' 'you could have a camera phone!'

if sprint didn't consider every last change to a plan to be re-uping the contract they'd be making more money from me because i'd have added on phone-as-modem already. you'd think that in my 8th year of service, with most of those not under contract, they'd stop bothering me about it.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It's the guy with the ads... he's trying to get you back.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
It's the guy with the ads... he's trying to get you back.
Get me back for what? I was patient beyond the call of duty. He owes me gratitude, nothing else. :)

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Hmm? I hope that when I added unlimited texting it didn't put my contract back to 2 years, because they didn't say anything about it if it did!

Grr..I want out of the Sprint Family soon, but the other families are all evil too...It's a lose lose situation =(

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Hmm? I hope that when I added unlimited texting it didn't put my contract back to 2 years, because they didn't say anything about it if it did!

Grr..I want out of the Sprint Family soon, but the other families are all evil too...It's a lose lose situation =(

Ya, I too added unlimited texting a couple weeks ago. I specifically asked if it would renew my contract and the indian lady said "no" but I guess we will see next month when my 2 years SHOULD be up.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
I have had a lot of luck with Cingular/AT&T. My family has had them since it was just AT&T 8-9 years ago and then gone through all the changes. Through it all going to a store has been a pleasurable experience for me. They have always been helpful and polite. So anyhow, at least they had been very good to me.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
they've done that to us before...and we've been with sprint for over 9 years!

we also just recently upgraded to sero...damn, what a NICE plan.