GoStumpy's Folding...

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Last edited:

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
For the Atom rig, I wouldn't bother unless the heatsink is an actively cooled one. I'm not sure what they are rated for in the thermal envelope area, but I'd imagine you would get very poor folding performance.

That is, of course, if you're using 100% of the CPU. You might be able to stem the thermals a little by limited the number of cores using by F@H.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
For the Atom rig, I wouldn't bother unless the heatsink is an actively cooled one. I'm not sure what they are rated for in the thermal envelope area, but I'd imagine you would get very poor folding performance.

That is, of course, if you're using 100% of the CPU. You might be able to stem the thermals a little by limited the number of cores using by F@H.

I am very surprised by the thermal control of my little HP Mini... Folding with 50% CPU usage and the CPU is @ 39C pretty steady. I installed the uniprocessor client merely because I figured the Atom may not be able to finish a larger WU in time, LOL. So sub 40C temps on the Atom! Oh, and the heatsink is actively cooled.

Wife's Sony Vaio, on the other hand, is steady at 68-70C with both cores 100%. I don't think thats *too* hot, but it's definitely what the laptop is at while at 100% load.

At least, thats my mileage...

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Sad to say, after using two new computers with a brand new OEM copy of Windows 7... I hate Linux.

Tried installing Ubuntu on my spare Athlon 3400+... Got Ubuntu installed, but I can't for the life of me get the Folding client to work... I wish I could just install windows :( Anyone know if I can fold on the Windows 8 DEV preview?

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Sad to say, after using two new computers with a brand new OEM copy of Windows 7... I hate Linux.

Tried installing Ubuntu on my spare Athlon 3400+... Got Ubuntu installed, but I can't for the life of me get the Folding client to work... I wish I could just install windows :( Anyone know if I can fold on the Windows 8 DEV preview?
If you have an OEM disk, can't you install and use Win7 without activating it for 30 days? That's long enough for the race. Unless they changed that. :p

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
I suppose I could!

And apparently there's a trick to extend it to 90 days too (legally)

I'll try that tonight :) Ubuntu is great for web browsing.. but thats about it for me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I suppose I could!

And apparently there's a trick to extend it to 90 days too (legally)

I'll try that tonight :) Ubuntu is great for web browsing.. but thats about it for me.

I think it's "SLMGR /REARM" from an Admin Command Prompt. Then reboot, and get 30 more days to trial the software. Only works like 3, maybe 4 times, I think.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001

If you need help with the smp client or gpu client in ubuntu let me know. After years of messing with it, I finally figured it out.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for the offer :) I love win7, probably will just install that for the time being.

I noticed that my work computers are dog slow in folding... Athlon x2 1.9ghz tells me approximate 1200ppd :( Other core2duo 1.8ghz is 3x at ~4500ppd.

Oh well they're on 24/7 anyway might as well be folding :) CPU's are @ 42C while folding, haha

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Yea, the X2's are bad. I have 2 sitting in a closet in boxes. If I had some spare psu's, I'd think about running them, but the performance is not so great and I don't think it worth it for the amount of energy I would draw.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Yeah, I have one extra PII box I could run, but I really don't think it would be worth it. It's only a single core at 400MHz!

It's a Pentium II. What did you think I meant? :sneaky:

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
So, I think my main goal needs to be getting internet to my spare room. I can't have all these computers running in the main rooms of the house, wife may get upset... I have a wireless USB stick, and a wireless PCI adaptor...And a spare wireless router... Is there any way to make that router become something like a wireless receiver so I can hard-wire the computers in that room?

-edit-

Bleh, got home today to find that both my machines I forgot to set Sleep Mode = Never..

Question, can the V7 client just work away at a project without the internet connected? I could just download the packet to work on, then put the USB Wireless Dongle onto the next computer, let it update, so on and so forth... That could work?

Last edited:

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Yeah, I have one extra PII box I could run, but I really don't think it would be worth it. It's only a single core at 400MHz!

It's a Pentium II. What did you think I meant? :sneaky:

hah! Almost got me ;)

I have a P4 3.0ghz, thats worth folding on right?

nitrous9200

Mar 1, 2007
Question, can the V7 client just work away at a project without the internet connected? I could just download the packet to work on, then put the USB Wireless Dongle onto the next computer, let it update, so on and so forth... That could work?

Once your PC downloads the WU, it doesn't have to be online until it needs to upload the results when it's finished.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Question: I am folding on my main rig with a Radeon HD6850... Afterburner shows me 18-30% GPU usage... Why so low?? Using the v7 client...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So, I think my main goal needs to be getting internet to my spare room. I can't have all these computers running in the main rooms of the house, wife may get upset... I have a wireless USB stick, and a wireless PCI adaptor...And a spare wireless router... Is there any way to make that router become something like a wireless receiver so I can hard-wire the computers in that room?
Yes, install DD-WRT on the spare router, and set it up as "Client" wireless mode. That's what I'm currently doing with some of my rigs.

Bleh, got home today to find that both my machines I forgot to set Sleep Mode = Never..

I remember with the v6 client, if the computer's IP address changed while folding, it could really screw things up, make the client crash, etc. I have no idea if they fixed that with the v7 client.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
By the time I get that room cleaned out it'll be past new-years, LOL.

I need to complete a few rigs... I have a GT430 and a GT220 that aren't in computers currently, but I got everything else folding.

HD6850
GT240
i3-2100
G530
Athlon X2 2ghz
Core2Duo 2ghz

That's the stable, combined I'm getting ~4k PPD D:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That doesn't sound right. The GT240 has 96SPs, like the 9600GSOs, doesn't it?

My 9600GSOs on the GPU2 client would get almost 4K PPD each.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Yes, it has 96 Stream Processors... Not sure why it's not producing much, perhaps it was producing more than all my other machines, but wasn't on as much... I noticed that computer lagged a lot when it was folding, so any time the wife was using it I had to pause it... may have left it paused for a few days :(

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
By the time I get that room cleaned out it'll be past new-years, LOL.

I need to complete a few rigs... I have a GT430 and a GT220 that aren't in computers currently, but I got everything else folding.

HD6850
GT240
i3-2100
G530
Athlon X2 2ghz
Core2Duo 2ghz

That's the stable, combined I'm getting ~4k PPD D:

Well, that should pick up... but I'd think the GT240 should be getting nearly that alone. Something must be up... and the 6850, heck, my 6570 is at ~3300ppd with the guide linked to.

If only you had even one quad core! SMP completion times seem to be so critical!

For all that is holy, make sure you are using your passkey :) No passkey, no bonus.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
:oops::oops::oops:

Forgot all about it after requesting one... 3 at home are now using the passkey, and the 2 at work will be tomorrow :whiste:

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
I still can't figure out how to get my HD6850 fully utilized... The usage seems wierd:

FoldingGPUUsage-1.jpg

Using the v7 client...

Is this normal? It only works hard when it finds something to work hard on in this WU?

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
:oops::oops::oops:

Forgot all about it after requesting one... 3 at home are now using the passkey, and the 2 at work will be tomorrow :whiste:

Your ppd should double or triple easily with any luck :)

I feel your pain, I have 100+ WU's with no bonus :(

My 6570 jumps from 50-90% utilized with the V7 client - I think that it is just a visualization of how hard it is to really engage the VLIW-5 and 4 architecture. This should be fixed in the high end and upper midrange cards that are being released from AMD in the next six months as they continue to update their architecture to compute with Fermi+ in the compute space. Which is important, as now that I am getting engaged with crunching it is hard to justify buying another AMD card.

Last edited: