Gore is dead, dead, dead in the water

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
And he can thank Bill Clinton for two reasons: 1. Clinton and Monica; 2. Clinton's been the best Republican President we've had since Eisenhower. He's alienated all the left wing of his party and Gore can't get them back. Nader probably hates Gore more than Bush and ditto for his followers.

Bush is ready to be a one term president while the Dems search for a candidate without bark and leaves.

Face it-nothing is going to raise the interest of Democratic voters this year. The turnout will be small and Bush will win by a substantial margin.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
chess9, you must not forget that just as many Republikans are dissatisfied with their party after the witchhunt of two years ago.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Some leading Green Party people are telling Nader to change the aim of his campaign because they are worried that he will cost Gore the election...Nader doesn't care though. :(

We will all see what happens on Nov. 3, until then, IMHO we should stop all of this "Bush loses!" "Gore will lose!" crapola here. :p Its a waste of time really...

~zonker~

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2000
chess9...

I think you are right. Many politicos think Clinton could help Gore, but I seriously doubt it would help. When I interview people for a position, qualifications and intelligence are important, but I have to like the guy. IMO Gore is a much mor difficult personality to like and I'm fairly certain he will lose the election. I've been watching the gallup polls and as of today, Bush has an 11 point lead..

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Zippy:

Isn't that why we're here? To waste time. :p

When I stop showing up you'll know I died on one of my ten mile runs or actually got a life.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Reitz:

Yes, but it doesn't seem to be hurting them too much. Also, as Zonker points out most people can relate to a likeable airhead more than a smart, but ossified Redwood.

Zonker:

I agree, but I never hired anyone who wasn't smart and likeable. Of course, by likeable I meant they had to be very creative about kissing my *ss.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
FullOfCobalt:

The pundits are fond of saying that Clinton has done a great job of hijacking the ideas of the Republican Party, giving them his own flavor, and getting them passed. Welfare reform comes to mind. Thus, the liberals are aghast, as are many Republicans who feel they've been swindled by BillyBoy.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As much as I hate Clinton for being such a slickster, I have to give him credit for the same thing.

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
You are certainly correct my friend. But you forgot the most important part of the Gore death, that he was not able to capture the middle ground. Somehow, Bush and republicans have convinced the right wing zealots to keep their mouths shut during this campaign.

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
You're right my friend......algore is done for! You know it's over when you hear remixed songs about him like the one on today.....I'm goreshady, I'm goreshady...........

jobert

Nov 20, 1999
I hope you're right, Chess,
but I really don't think its over quite yet.

Did you read the rest of that CNN story?....

"The poll -- conducted from interviews with 718 likely voters between October 18 and 20, 2000 -- only shows what the outcome might be if the election were held today.

If Democrats can boost interest in the election and enthusiasm for voting among the party faithful between now and Election Day, the outcome on November 7 could look very different than Saturday's tracking poll results."

jobert

Nov 20, 1999
>>Now that he's a lock, maybe Bush can come clean and admit his tax cut might not be such a good Idea.<<

Right on, Red.
What this country needs is to just pour
more and more billions
into our dedicated Washington bureaucrats' hands.

Wow! Can you imagine all the wonderful things
they're going to do with the surplus?
It's our lucky decade!

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Jobert:

If they ain't interested yet, they ain't gonna get interested between now and election day. See the thread on undecided voters. Most of them are just turned off by the whole process and lack of meaningful choices.

Maybe I'll vote for Nader since now my vote won't be wasted. If Gore is going to lose anyway, might as well send a message that the country is being overrun by the right wing.

JW310

Golden Member
Oct 30, 1999
<< We will all see what happens on Nov. 3 >>

Zippy: since when is election day on a Friday :)? Don't think people will be able to vote if they go to their place of voting on the third. I personally don't know who I would vote for, if I could vote in the upcoming election. Won't be 18 until March :frown:

JW

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
That's right Chess, if the polls continue as they have the last few weeks, I think you will see a real low democratic turnout with a surprising Nader percentage, but a very substantial victory for Bush.
I just pray that junior turns out to be a person more like daddy and not quite the political nutcase he seems to be.

MrChicken

Feb 18, 2000
What has really, really hurt Gore is his own campaign strategy of bad mouthing personal attacks.
His campaign went early against personal attacks by Bush's campaign. They figured they would win on the issues.
The problem was that Bush's side of the issues dont look that bad to most people and Bush appears to be a nice guy to boot.
When Gore went to show the differences between them, he came off as &quot;attacking&quot; Bush. He got caught in his own web. Even if the attacks were not personal, he had already sensitized America to negativism and attacks of any type.

Even now that GW has obviously lied or has a really bad memory about the patients bill of rights in TX, if Gore attacks this, he hurts himself because voters view attacking as a bad thing.

Figure this one out, polls show that Gore is much better at explaining his issues than Bush, but more people like Bush on issues. Ouch..... I think part of this is because Gore just doesnt speak to issues, he attacks Bush in the process. IMHO, if he had stuck to just explaining his side of the issues, he would have fared much better.

In the end if the Dems dont vote, I think it will be because &quot;it's hard to vote for a guy you just dont like&quot;.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Red,

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion. I will give it all of the consideration that it merits.

Russ, NCNE

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I have a coworker who is my political nemesis (we argue at work like Russ and Red do here). He wanted to make a bet with me on the outcome of the election. I suggested that we go to a bar and watch the returns and drink our asses off. If Gore's in the toilet by the end of the night, he pays the ENTIRE tab and vice-versa. He hasn't agreed to it yet. I think it's because deep-down, he knows what's going to happen plus, I can outdrink him by a pretty large margin. :D

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Russ:

Yes, but we aren't as politically savvy as you are, and my crystal ball is in the shop. :p

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Hopefully the people will regain control of the House....so as to limit the damage Bush can do to us.

If the Republicans also maintain the house....God help us for the next four years. A few hundred dollars more back in taxes...a few thousand less in wages. (That is, for people who work for a living)