GOP senators introduce bill to undo Medicare prescription drug negotiation

borosp1

Apr 12, 2003
Do Republicans do anything for the majority of the citizens? It seems like they are always beholden to special interests and big business. Who would have thought a bill that allows Medicare to negotiate drug prices and capping annual drug expenses is controversial but for some reason according the Republicans its a bad bill. Its just crazy how regular poor and middle class people vote for Republicans who do nothing for them.

Senate Republicans on Friday introduced a bill that would roll back the drug pricing reforms included in the sweeping Inflation Reduction Act, including the measures allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices and capping annual drug expenses for many seniors.

Republican Sens. James Lankford (Okla.), Mike Lee (Utah), Cynthia Lummis (Wyo.) and Marco Rubio (Fla.) introduced the “Protecting Drug Innovation Act” on Friday, saying they wanted to pull back government authority over the prices of drugs covered by Medicare.

The Inflation Reduction Act was passed and signed into law in August with no Republicans voting for it.

The bill allows Medicare to negotiate drug prices for the first time in the program’s history. It also placed a $2,000 out-of-pocket cap on annual drug costs for seniors on Medicare, as well as a $35 monthly cop for insulin.

“Prescription drug prices are too high for many critical drugs, which demonstrates the need for more competition and more options for consumers,” Lankford, who sits on the Senate Finance Committee, said in a statement.

“Unfortunately, the Democrats’ new government drug price control in their so-called ‘Inflation Reduction Act’ creates even more barriers to effectively bringing down the cost of prescriptions, particularly for senior adults on Medicare,” added Lankford.

In his own statement, Lee argued that “price controls never work.”

“Instead, they exacerbate the problems they seek to resolve. Mandating fixed prescription drug prices will ultimately result in the shortening of American lives,” the Utah senator said.

If passed, the bill states it would make it so that the drug pricing measures in the Inflation Reduction Act “had never been enacted.”

Democrats, who have been campaigning off of the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act, have continually warned that Republicans will seek to repeal the sweeping cost-reduction package if they take back control of Congress.

President Biden echoed these warnings earlier on Friday.

“They’re saying they’re going to repeal the Inflation Reduction Act if they gain control of Congress. Let’s be crystal clear what that means. If Republicans take control over Congress, it means the power we just gave Medicare to negotiate drug prices goes away. Gone. Prices go back up,” Biden said.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This bill should be entitled "Protect Bid Pharm which has given us oodles of money Act." After all, the profit margin for Big Pharma is the only loser in allowing Medicare to negotiate drug pricing. EVERY other American benefits directly or indirectly from this change.

I have to admit seeing a Langford, a Republican call competitive price negotiation "price controls" made me laugh out loud-what an Alice In Wonderland they live in.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"Prescription drug prices are too high for many critical drugs, which demonstrates the need for more competition and more options for consumers,"
So, clearly the logical solution is to not let Medicare negotiate prices, because... ?
"Unfortunately, the Democrats’ new government drug price control in their so-called ‘Inflation Reduction Act’ creates even more barriers to effectively bringing down the cost of prescriptions, particularly for senior adults on Medicare,” added Lankford.
See, the way we bring down prices on prescriptions is by allowing corporations to charge Medicare more money. If they can't charge higher prices, then they can't afford to lower the cost of prescriptions.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Democrats: "The price of insulin is too damn high!"

Republicans: "Well, what do you propose to do about it?"

Democrats: "Let's allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices and implement price controls."

Republicans: "That won't work!"

Democrats: "OK, well what do you propose as an alternative?"

Republicans: "We're going to repeal the bill you just passed!"

Democrats: "OK, but what do you propose to do about drug prices that are too damn high?"

Republicans: "If we go back to the way things were then the free market will take care of drug prices!"

Democrats: "You mean the free market that caused the drug prices to be too damn high to begin with?"

Democrats: picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Democrats: "Let's allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices and implement price controls."

Democrats: "OK, but what do you propose to do about drug prices that are too damn high?"

Republicans: "If we go back to the way things were then the free market will take care of drug prices!"

Democrats: "You mean the free market that caused the drug prices to be too damn high to begin with?"

Democrats: View attachment 68920

Too much talk:

This is the GENERATIONAL OLD PLAN (linked to the 10 seconds that explains it all)

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017

Democrats: The "free" market which mandates government protection for the monopoly US market for drug sellers, bans the imports of cheaper identical drugs from overseas, and bans the government from seeking any form of competition or even bidding for purchase of said drugs - but requires accepting the pharma bro monopolists price?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
So, clearly the logical solution is to not let Medicare negotiate prices, because... ?

See, the way we bring down prices on prescriptions is by allowing corporations to charge Medicare more money. If they can't charge higher prices, then they can't afford to lower the cost of prescriptions.
It is the advanced trickle down economics plan, AKA pissing up a rope.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Do Republicans do anything for the majority of the citizens?

No

It seems like they are always beholden to special interests and big business.

Yes

Who would have thought a bill that allows Medicare to negotiate drug prices and capping annual drug expenses is controversial but for some reason according the Republicans its a bad bill.

The brainless

Its just crazy how regular poor and middle class people vote for Republicans who do nothing for them.

The uneducated and the rubes

Anymore questions?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Was it smart to unveil this before the midterms... oh wait--they never cared about how we actually vote (I guess that cat is outta the bag now)... The GOP only cares about keeping the dark money faucet flowing to finance the next round of BS election fraud lawsuits.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
What's next a Rick Scott proposal to randomly execute 50% of seniors before they can collect SS?

Q's believe Bill Gates has already begun this.
I.e. the Bill Gates "zero growth" population control plan.
And that is why they also believe BILL GATES MUST DIE!!! :rolleyes:

I don't know what it is between the Q's and Bill Gates? Just because Q's can't figure out MS Windows or how to use a mouse isn't a reason to attack the guy who simply invented the MS Windows operating system.

I could never learn to ice skate like I hoped to, but I don't blame Nancy Kerrigan for that. But if I were a Q, I guess I would. ;)