GOP rep: 'Nobody dies' from not having health care

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Out of the mouths of idiots....

Idaho Republican Rep. Raul Labrador sparked outrage from his audience and online after saying "nobody dies" for lack of health care access in a town hall Friday night at Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho.

Labrador made the comments the day after the U.S. House passed a GOP-led health care bill repealing and replacing chunks of Obamacare. Labrador, a member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, was responding to an audience member who expressed concern about how the bill would affect Medicaid recipients.

"You are mandating people on Medicaid accept dying. You are making a mandate that will kill people," the audience member said, before being drowned out by Labrador's response.

"No one wants anybody to die," Labrador said. "You know, that line is so indefensible. Nobody dies because they don't have access to health care."
Labrador was similarly booed for a comment he made last month that health care isn't a "basic human right."

A 2009 study published by the American Journal of Public Health before Obamacare became law said 45,000 people die annually from lack of health insurance.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...-not-having-health-care/ar-BBAOBDw?li=BBnb7Kz

Seriously. How willfully ignorant can someone be, like this so-called representative?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Interesting the alternate reality some of these Reps have forced themselves into that an 800B cut to Medicaid and structural changes to people on the expansion somehow won't have any negative impacts.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Balt

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Maybe they can just draft medicaid recipients and put them on the front lines.

Between the cuts to medicaid and the increases to our already bloated military complex, I think two birds with one stone is fiscally sound

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It just simply astounds me that someone who appears to be at least semi-educated can make such ignorant and false statements. And appear, at least outwardly, to believe them.

Maybe they are taking cues from Trump, that egregious lies don't matter so long as you keep shamelessly repeating them.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Interesting the alternate reality some of these Reps have forced themselves into that an 800B cut to Medicaid and structural changes to people on the expansion somehow won't have any negative impacts.

Medicaid is slavery.

Now, people will have CHOICE and ACCESS, which is apparently better than having actual health care.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Can you imagine how furious lower income, single-issue (healthcare) voters got when they heard that? Hahaha

That's 'Earl. Get some rope.' territory there man. Sheeyit.

Either they'll learn and adapt, or the they'll die off. Sad but true. I just think it's surprising the GOP doesn't seem to comprehend the trap they're setting for themselves. They're already looking at bad news from the natural death rate and shifting societal trends. The last couple months they've been text book examples of near-criminal incompetence and questionable mental acuity, with no signs of it stopping.

I'm really hoping this kind of shit (among a few other big issues) is helping to finally get the point across to the Fox viewers. I'm sure there is a healthy sized segment that is beyond hope and will continue voting for their own demise no matter what (likely those who agree with Labrador), but I like to think that the issue of personal mortality is a topic serious enough to motivate real analysis of one's true values. They can 'rationalize' away the no taxes being released, all the Russian connections, and the multitude of conflicts of interest that represent Team Dump, but it's harder to engage diabetes or heart disease with the same mental gymnastics.

Will the masters of gerrymandering and their newly acquired church powers be able to stave off what is probably in the mail? We'll see.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Can you imagine how furious lower income, single-issue (healthcare) voters got when they heard that? Hahaha

That's 'Earl. Get some rope.' territory there man. Sheeyit.

Either they'll learn and adapt, or the they'll die off. Sad but true. I just think it's surprising the GOP doesn't seem to comprehend the trap they're setting for themselves. They're already looking at bad news from the natural death rate and shifting societal trends. The last couple months they've been text book examples of near-criminal incompetence and questionable mental acuity, with no signs of it stopping.

I'm really hoping this kind of shit (among a few other big issues) is helping to finally get the point across to the Fox viewers. I'm sure there is a healthy sized segment that is beyond hope and will continue voting for their own demise no matter what (likely those who agree with Labrador), but I like to think that the issue of personal mortality is a topic serious enough to motivate real analysis of one's true values. They can 'rationalize' away the no taxes being released, all the Russian connections, and the multitude of conflicts of interest that represent Team Dump, but it's harder to engage diabetes or heart disease with the same mental gymnastics.

Will the masters of gerrymandering and their newly acquired church powers be able to stave off what is probably in the mail? We'll see.
How would Fox viewers be aware of any of this? All they know is that Colbert said some naughty words on TV and conservatives are fainting all over America.

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
Who knows, maybe red states will start to learn.

I'm feeling hopeful right now, but you know....fuck my feels
You know what they say about hope: Hope in one hand, and crap in the other. See which one fills faster.

In this scenario, your other hand will fill faster, even if you don't eat for weeks at a time, than the possibility of red state residents actually learning how badly they get shafted.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
To loosely quote a friend of mine on hearing this, "Historians will record this as America's "let them eat cake" moment, if the nation survives."

I hope when he gets to Hell he gets that one tattooed on the bare, exposed surface of his liver with a branding iron.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
His "condition" is the very essence of the GOP's conflict between having to kowtow to the demands of the very wealthy that own their very souls and then having to lie their asses off 24/7/365, disenfranchise voters, sell fear and hate, gerrymander themselves safe and basically become outright traitors to folks who vote them into office.

Plain and simple, yet these Repub legislators manage to "git 'er dun" every time they make another run at selling themselves as the Protectors of the Constitution, Defender of Family Values, Fiscal Conservators Fighting Against Tax and Spend, yada yada yada.

These GOP legislators must actually laugh their asses off every time they get elect/re-elected, considering how blatant they are at lying to their working class constituents about protecting their interests while shoveling every cent they can possibly squeeze out of their working class constituents and deliver all of it into the hands of those that have more wealth than they know what to do with.

That Trump got elected is the epitome of how lies and deception is worth much much more than the honest truth and the facts of the matter at hand.

Things can't get more fvcked up than that......but yeah,Trump has got more than three years to prove me wrong.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
How would Fox viewers be aware of any of this? All they know is that Colbert said some naughty words on TV and conservatives are fainting all over America.

The message is getting through somehow, you just need to look at the town hall meetings to know that. I'm more concerned with the destination than the vehicle used to get there.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Absolutely. Having Obamacare = Deathpanels but no healthcare is about access to choices. This guy is pathetic.

This is an interesting thought experiment on just how far bald faced lies can get you. We aren't talking about political spin here, we're talking about people saying easily disproven falsehoods like cutting $800 billion from Medicaid won't cause anyone to lose coverage and that nobody dies without access to health care.

It seems like Trump's candidacy was just the start in the war on facts.