GOP Counter-Offer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would agree that's how negotiations typically work...except Obama just won an election by a pretty decent margin with a major part of the campaign discussion focused on budget and tax issues. He would seem to be a in a pretty strong negotiating position.

Not from the view of the Rightist, Hell they haven't even acknowledged they got their asses handed to them. ;)

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
It's a joke based on speculation.

You're right, from DailyKos (not my favorite source but I go there for counterpoint):

Building, sort of, off of that, here's the breakdown Boehner's office provided to the Washington Post, to the extent that he has one.

$800 billion in unspecified "pro-growth tax reform that closes special-interest loopholes and deductions while lowering rates."
$600 billion in Medicare savings that would include raising the eligibility age and "structural Medicare reform." That's what they euphemistically call Ryan's voucher system, but it's not clear from the information available if that's what they're talking about now.
$300 billion in other "mandatory" savings, including farm subsidies. No further details there.
$200 billion through revising the Consumer Price Index for all federal beneficiaries, including Social Security recipients. This is the chained CPI we've been hearing about for the past year and a half that would produce benefit cuts over time.
$300 billion in further unspecified discretionary cuts.

For those keeping track, according to WaPo, that's $1.2 trillion in savings and $800 billion in revenue that probably actually isn't achievable. So here's the contrast with what Obama has presented:

On revenue: Obama $1.6T (with details), GOP $800B (no details)
On spending: Obama $400B, GOP $1.2T (scant details either side)
Debt ceiling: Obama addresses, GOP avoids

So basically Mitt Romney's tax plan. The $800 billion is probably projected revenue by increasing GDP forecast, pulled out of their ass

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
You're right, from DailyKos (not my favorite source but I go there for counterpoint):

So basically Mitt Romney's tax plan. The $800 billion is probably projected revenue by increasing GDP forecast, pulled out of their ass

obama debt ceiling solution -

remove the ceiling.

kos also fails to mention the millions in EXTRA spending Obama wants to do.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
obama debt ceiling solution -

remove the ceiling.

kos also fails to mention the millions in EXTRA spending Obama wants to do.

They mention the $50 billion. I thought it was a fair (if critical) breakdown of the plan

If it makes you feel better the WaPo piece they are citing says the same stuff

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

“New revenues would be generated through pro-growth tax reform that closes special-interest loopholes and deductions while lowering rates,” according to Boehner’s letter.

That's the punchline. Did he address this letter to President Romney?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
LMAO @ all the whiners. I could see some of you break down and cry trying to buy antiques from a seller or items at a flea market. The President is not going to get everything he wants nor will the Republican get everything they want.
Obama signs nothing by Jan. 1st.

Bush tax cuts expire. Win.

Dem's push middle class tax cut bill through the Senate on Jan. 2nd. Win.

Do you really think the GOP is suicidal enough to reject cutting middle class taxes? I hope so, because it's a surefire way to get a Democratic majority in the House by 2014.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
They mention the $50 billion. I thought it was a fair (if critical) breakdown of the plan

If it makes you feel better the WaPo piece they are citing says the same stuff

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

That's the punchline. Did he address this letter to President Romney?

I missed the spending part obama wants in both the wapo, and dailykos. not surprsing.

though inanother piece

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...575192-389d-11e2-b01f-5f55b193f58f_story.html

hmm, so first we raise taxes on the evil rich. Then we give some of them a tax break? wtf

yahoo has a better one

http://news.yahoo.com/why-obama-pushing-stimulus-fiscal-cliff-deal-video-033547060.html
255 billion in new spending, only after raising the taxes.

hmmm, magic math.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Taxes on the wealthy are a bandaid on a gaping wound. They have to go up on everybody. Democrats are only 1% less shitty than Republicans.

Personally I'd prefer they just limit itemized deductions for everyone, since I don't have a mortgage or children. :p

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Obama signs nothing by Jan. 1st.

Bush tax cuts expire. Win.

Dem's push middle class tax cut bill through the Senate on Jan. 2nd. Win.

Do you really think the GOP is suicidal enough to reject cutting middle class taxes? I hope so, because it's a surefire way to get a Democratic majority in the House by 2014.

It would prove that the MSM is in the bag for democrats.

Lets see

Dems hold the senate
Dems hold the office of president.

yet everything is the republicans fault.

1/3rd of goverment = 100% of the blame. How can that happen? Thats right. The liberal lieing press.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
GOP's counter offer is "fuck the peasants! let them eat cake!"

Until there is some concrete proof that their hillbilly constituents have wized up and will vote them out of office, they will bow only to their corporate masters.

By the time they wake up and realize they are on the wrong side of history, they will be as extinct as their slave owning forefathers

Sorry tard it was the dems who kept slaves it was rep who freed them . I take it your young as this use to be taught in schools but from what I have seen they aren't teaching anymore . Now its more akin of Liberial prapaganda. Here is a fine example of one of our teachers screaming at a student . She was suspended with pay . Her black ass should have been fired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3rzeO1QlNU

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Not from the view of the Rightist, Hell they haven't even acknowledged they got their asses handed to them. ;)

How many voted in 2012 How many voted in 2008 . 11 million fewer votes than 2008. Thats not an ass kicking thats alot of people saying they both suck bad. Voter fraud . We had one case were we live. A devorced couple tried to get his vote cast in our village but he is registered in another county . All the people in my village KNOW for fact he does not live in our village . The cops let it go . So they don't care about voter fraud our case was an easy one to prove . But the law has to do its job . That doesn't happen anymore. It was in the news papers

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Taxes on the wealthy are a bandaid on a gaping wound. They have to go up on everybody. Democrats are only 1% less shitty than Republicans.

I think you're right about taxes. But taxes have to go up at the top first before the rest of America will be willing to make greater sacrifice themselves. And taxes have to be seen as fair by the majority, which means raising LTCG rates & closing carried interest loopholes.

Otherwise, Mitt & his peers will continue to pay lower rates than the rest of the lesser top 1%.

Repubs are just flailing around in futility, doing their best to look good to their big money donor base. They can cave or get run over, their choice. Obama holds the winning hand, and they'd be fools to try to bluff- they'll just make it worse for themselves.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
I think you're right about taxes. But taxes have to go up at the top first before the rest of America will be willing to make greater sacrifice themselves. And taxes have to be seen as fair by the majority, which means raising LTCG rates & closing carried interest loopholes.

Otherwise, Mitt & his peers will continue to pay lower rates than the rest of the lesser top 1%.

Repubs are just flailing around in futility, doing their best to look good to their big money donor base. They can cave or get run over, their choice. Obama holds the winning hand, and they'd be fools to try to bluff- they'll just make it worse for themselves.

the reps already caved and said they will increase tax revenue.

where is Obama the compromiser? oh thats right he wants higher taxes, and higher spending.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

where is Obama the compromiser? oh thats right he wants higher taxes, and higher spending.

I don't think either side is taking this serious. We have 1 trillion deficits and republicans off up a plan that closes that by up to 200 billion(good luck). Obama is fine with increasing revenue and not cutting a thing.

Last edited:

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
I don't think either side is taking this serious.

100% agree with you on that. most of the long term debt problems could have been solved fairly easly a few years ago. now they can be solved with a moderate amount of pain.

both sides would rather stick their heads in the sand and pretend nothing bad is happening.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It would prove that the MSM is in the bag for democrats.

Lets see

Dems hold the senate
Dems hold the office of president.

yet everything is the republicans fault.

1/3rd of goverment = 100% of the blame. How can that happen? Thats right. The liberal lieing press.

It'd just prove that Dems have reality in the bag.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It'd just prove that Dems have reality in the bag.

What reality is that? Not closing our deficit in an meaningful manner? You realize Obama's plan is to increase revenues and spending? It is like we are in bizzaro world.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Details? All I have seen is the "pro growth" tax revamp with LOWER rates. Talk about "magic math". The Laffer curve is starting to turn into a "Laugher" curve at these rates.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

They didn't say that at all, unless you count smoke and mirrors as a concrete proposal.

This sums it up rather well-

http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/3...all-agree-to-pretend-the-gop-isnt-full-of-it/

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/operation-rolling-tantrum/

This is what Repub leaders want increased revenue to look like-

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/the-stiffs-and-the-players/

Throw the lower 90% of the top 1% overboard if necessary, but don't touch the ultra wealthy...

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
They didn't say that at all, unless you count smoke and mirrors as a concrete proposal.

This sums it up rather well-

http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/3...all-agree-to-pretend-the-gop-isnt-full-of-it/

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/operation-rolling-tantrum/

This is what Repub leaders want increased revenue to look like-

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/the-stiffs-and-the-players/

Throw the lower 90% of the top 1% overboard if necessary, but don't touch the ultra wealthy...

krugman is a left wing troll.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
Straight to denial, of course.

Here's another piece that just might burn your eyes out-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...a-in-american-politics-kill-the-debt-ceiling/

Obama's deficit reduction proposals go beyond what Repubs can swallow...

And another, showing how Repub arrogance in 2011 has left them in a corner today-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...tries-to-call-a-mulligan/?tid=pm_business_pop

>>Downplays liberal media bias
>>Links to Washington Post
>>Hilarity Ensues

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
>>Downplays liberal media bias
>>Links to Washington Post
>>Hilarity Ensues

> Drags out one of the favorite myths of the far right.
> Links nothing
> Dives into the bunker o' derision & denial...

Perhaps you'll link Faux News, The Washington Times, The Weakly Standard, Newsmax, World Nut Daily, one of the Examiner rags, maybe even the American Stinker, huh?

Maybe you could get me on the mailing list for some fringe whack newsletters, too...