Google's new search index: Caffeine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2007
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html
Today, we're announcing the completion of a new web indexing system called Caffeine. Caffeine provides 50 percent fresher results for web searches than our last index, and it's the largest collection of web content we've offered. Whether it's a news story, a blog or a forum post, you can now find links to relevant content much sooner after it is published than was possible ever before.

:hmm: Is it just me or does this diagram not even come close to clarifying anything?
caffeine.jpg

Will be interesting to see if these changes have much immediate effect.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Yeah, because Caffine is is made of atoms with tiny people inside. The tiny man is the one who knows where to find the information you requested. Everyone knows this.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
after owning some 30 logitech products, I looked directly at the image that you posted, assuming that it would explain everything I would ever need to know.

I agree. It makes no sense.

(lulz at freudian slip: I typed "logitech problems" instead of "products" :D)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm getting the feeling that Google isn't sure about what to do next. I'm not saying they're about to fall apart, but they've just seemed... wonky lately.

Oct 4, 2004
Looking at just the image and your post, I'd guess they're trying to say the current system is a stack where you have to dig through pages of results to get what you are really looking for, whereas the new system is better at sorting through data, delivering newer and more relevant results (kind of like having everything at arm's reach).

Something like that.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Looking at just the image and your post, I'd guess they're trying to say the current system is a stack where you have to dig through pages of results to get what you are really looking for, whereas the new system is better at sorting through data, delivering newer and more relevant results (kind of like having everything at arm's reach).

Something like that.

And always whirling, twirling towards freedom

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I'm getting the feeling that Google isn't sure about what to do next. I'm not saying they're about to fall apart, but they've just seemed... wonky lately.

They are just waiting for technology to catch up so they can work on their decentralized firewall and instant cloud computing system.

They are also finding ways to make their massive data centers do more computing besides data-caching.

Status
Not open for further replies.