Google Your Tax Dollars

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
"By allowing Americans to Google their tax dollars, this new law will help taxpayers demand greater fiscal discipline," Bush said.

Isn't it his job to use fiscal discipline? I mean he is the elected leader.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the deficits...does it matter if the money is going to halliburton, pita or microsoft?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Essentially, you will be able to see which companies are getting money from the gov't. I think it's a great idea and hope that they expand on the idea in the future.

I agree that it's a good idea, but would like to see it expanded to include information on performance/nonperformance for monies previously spent. If a company gets paid to do A, B, and C and they only do A and B or do XYZ instead I think this information should also be available.

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Stunt
"By allowing Americans to Google their tax dollars, this new law will help taxpayers demand greater fiscal discipline," Bush said.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the deficits...does it matter if the money is going to halliburton, pita or microsoft?

The elected officials in cogress spend the money with little to no accountability, so giving their constituents the opportunity to view where their dollars are going will enable people to be more vocal.

I don't see how anybody can oppose this.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001

Um no. Congress spends the money, not the President.

slash196

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2004
This is an excellent idea, but I find it extremely hard to believe that Bush actually wants people to be able to see where their money is going, because if they could, the government would be overthrown and Bush's head would be on a stake outside the white house within a week.

imported_nocturne

Jun 21, 2005
To say that this was Bush's idea is a farce. The republicans argued like hell against until it reached the news, and then they quickly switched camps. I believe this was originally proposed by a PAC, though I forget which.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: nocturne
To say that this was Bush's idea is a farce. The republicans argued like hell against until it reached the news, and then they quickly switched camps. I believe this was originally proposed by a PAC, though I forget which.

Actually the pork kings Byrd(D) and Stevens(R) tried to bury the idea. I am glad they did not have any luck.

This is a very good idea.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Does this mean that Dave will finally be able to see which ones of us really are paid off by the administration?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: jrenz

I do. It's pretty obvious why some might not want such information available to the sheep.

Now I hope they add in the "non profits" and other organizations. Let's see how much of your tax money is being sucked up by quacks like the ACLU and the AARP.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: wetech
Does this mean that Dave will finally be able to see which ones of us really are paid off by the administration?
oh damn... better change my name...

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: wetech

No, he'll be running to get his name off the list! :laugh:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
After reading the bill it could have an amazing affect on government spending.
Add the ability of blogers to bring the nations attention to stuff with the quick and easy way to find pork and Washington will really have to be on its best behaivor.

This is really good for the fiscal conservatives, any thing that makes it harder for the government to spend is a good thing in our book.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Will we get to see the money that this admin pays to fake reporters and fake news sites and bloggers

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001

The elected officials in cogress spend the money with little to no accountability, so giving their constituents the opportunity to view where their dollars are going will enable people to be more vocal.

Yes!

I want to see where my money REALLY goes when we spend $2000 on a toilet!

I'm sure these black op. expenses are presented well.

YOU HAVE TO BE FVCKING KIDDING ME!

This is a cop out.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Come on now, this is all from a government that keeps two sets of books. One they want you to see (the fraudulent one) and the other they kept a secret until it was disclosed earlier this year. The second book should make you cringe and ask why were they not being honest with the public about the situation? Do you really think the numbers will not be manipulated with this program?

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster

I do. It's pretty obvious why some might not want such information available to the sheep.

Now I hope they add in the "non profits" and other organizations. Let's see how much of your tax money is being sucked up by quacks like the ACLU and the AARP.

Want to place a bet that the ACLU's government funding slice is less than 10% of the total that faith-based organizations receive?

I'll even give you 5-1 odds.

imported_nocturne

Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster

You got to be kidding... ACLU? AARP? Besides, these types of organizations usally get tax breaks, not tax money. It would be a much better thing if the site could cross-reference what companies get gov't contracts, and how much those companies (including employees) gave in political contributions. All the info is already there, it just takes a few FOIA requests to get it.

The ironic thing is this system will probally end up a waste of tax money (due to the fraudulant congressional bookkeeping)...

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: nocturne
You got to be kidding... ACLU? AARP? Besides, these types of organizations usally get tax breaks, not tax money. It would be a much better thing if the site could cross-reference what companies get gov't contracts, and how much those companies (including employees) gave in political contributions. All the info is already there, it just takes a few FOIA requests to get it.

Of course, the info is there, but how many people want to go to the trouble of filing a FOIA request to get it? It'd sure be a lot easier to get it online, right?

As for the ACLU / AARP, yes, believe it, they do receive your tax dollars.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

No, it's Congress's job, he just approves their budgets...

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
The law calls for the Web site to go online by Jan. 1, 2008. It will list federal grants and contracts greater than $25,000, except for those classified for national security reasons.

In other words, the list ain't gonna tell you squat.